What's new

First shave with King C Gillette

A few weeks ago I wanted to buy a King C Gillette razor, so I drove down to Göteborg and I drove up to Uddevalla (I live in the middle of these two citys on the west coast of Sweden) and started looking for the razor.
In all the stores I went to they had the same problem, all the King C Gillette safety razors were stolen!!!
All the boxes were empty and the cashiers had to lock away the very few razorblades and the King C cartridge razors left in the stores.

Anyway, I had to fill up on my asthma medicine and I saw that one of our Swedish on-line pharmacies sold the King C for 20 Euros and free shipping.
This afternoon I had my King C safety razor and this evening I had my first shave with it.

The soap this evening was the wonderful Orange Empire from TGS and I whipped up a nice lather with my new Yaqi synthetic brush.
Post shave was TGS Orange Empire AS

I can agree when ppl say the handle is a bit slippery when you have wet and soapy hands, but a little rub on my fingers with my alunblock and the problem was solved ;)

The shave was good, not perfect but good.

First pass was very smooth and the King C blade cut the stubble with no problem at all, but it was not as close a shave as I am used to.

Second pass was a bit better, I did get a nice smooth XTG shave with not so much blade feel, but there where more stubble left than I am used to so this razor is really mild.

Third pass was also very smooth and comfortable but I needed more touch ups than usual to get a DFS.

I will use this King C razor for the next feww weeks and see if it perform better once I get used to it, and I will have to try other blades as well.

The Chinese so called Gillettes stolen. Can you imagine what it would be if Gillette decided to stamp Super-Speeds again. 😁 Armed raids in drugstores?
Seriously though, thanks for sharing your impressions. You are probably the 6th ot 7th user who says the razor is very mild. I understand many DE shavers consider this razor to be a good sign etc. because Gillette started offering DEs again. They might be right. But I am not buying it, thank you very much. I expect more than a "good shave" from a "Gillette" razor.

The Chinese so called Gillettes stolen. Can you imagine what it would be if Gillette decided to stamp Super-Speeds again. 😁 Armed raids in drugstores?
Seriously though, thanks for sharing your impressions. You are probably the 6th ot 7th user who says the razor is very mild. I understand many DE shavers consider this razor to be a good sign etc. because Gillette started offering DEs again. They might be right. But I am not buying it, thank you very much. I expect more than a "good shave" from a "Gillette" razor.
Agree!
I also expect more than a "good shave" from a Gillette DE razor.
But the strange thing with this razor is the weight distribution compared to my other razors.
It feels a bit "strange" when shaving, but it could also be the handle that is only 50% knurled.
Time will tell if it is a keeper or not ;)

"The Chinese so called Gillettes stolen. Can you imagine what it would be if Gillette decided to stamp Super-Speeds again. 😁 Armed raids in drugstores?"

@ivan_101 , there are so many idiots in this world, and thieves...
Some ppl steal just about everything, no matter if they need it or not.

Now I have shaved with my new King C Gillette for the third time.
Same blade and the blade felt better the second and the third time.

Still too mild, it's hard to get a decent DFS with three passes plus touch ups.

But I don't want to dismiss it yet, I have to try it with different blades, like Lord Silverstar and Astra SS first and see if it gets any better.

Now I have shaved with my new King C Gillette for the third time.
Same blade and the blade felt better the second and the third time.

Still too mild, it's hard to get a decent DFS with three passes plus touch ups.

But I don't want to dismiss it yet, I have to try it with different blades, like Lord Silverstar and Astra SS first and see if it gets any better.
Any update so far? to me it just looks like one of those cheap chinese razors

Any update so far? to me it just looks like one of those cheap chinese razors
Yes, I have some updates 😉
I have tried the King C with Feather blades for about a week now and it is still too mild.
With Feather blades you I can get a decent DFS, but not a BBS.
The question is, is this because the razor is too mild, or is it because a bad technique?
I mean, is the sweet spot of the correct angle as narrow (or narrower) than Feather Popular?

The quality of this razor is actually quite good.
It's heavy, the blade alignment is 100% and it has a good feel to it when I shave.

I use it as a travel razor, for the price it's a steal - a legal steal. 😛 It's somewhat a compromise compared to my EJ89, but when travelling you make some compromise nevertheless. The main difference is, that the Gilette is not that comfortable (which is a highly YMMV parameter...). That said, I wouldn't use it as a daily razor, but it's nice for a second (travel) razor especially for the price. (I bought it for 13 USD.)

Yes, I have some updates 😉
I have tried the King C with Feather blades for about a week now and it is still too mild.
With Feather blades you I can get a decent DFS, but not a BBS.
The question is, is this because the razor is too mild, or is it because a bad technique?
I mean, is the sweet spot of the correct angle as narrow (or narrower) than Feather Popular?

The quality of this razor is actually quite good.
It's heavy, the blade alignment is 100% and it has a good feel to it when I shave.
Maybe a Kai can squeeze out a bit more efficiency?

Tried the King C overall its a very mild shaver in fact to mild for me even with a feather loaded maybe an option for little growth but not ideal for my stubble 😄

Just sayin'
R89 head on a Gillette fat handle.

The heads are almost identical for sure (not the same if you look at them, however), that's why I bought the Gillette in the first place. The slight difference in the head and the handle weight makes some ediference, though. But luckily nothing serious, that's why I use the Gillette without major issues.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't get it.
The head, OK it does look exactly like a 89.
But the handle looks nothing like the Fat Handle Tech.
You'll have to take that up with Gillette.
images.jpg
Rasierer.jpg

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Just sayin'
R89 head on a Gillette fat handle.

A dear B&B member from the US shipped a couple of these to me last December (it was not available here in Europe). The head is a German made Mühle R89, while the handle is an American made 1930's Common Bar reproduction. It's a very mild shaver and I just LOVE it!

Top Bottom