What's new

First shave with gillette nacet = irritation

Hi guys,
Been using my Gillette Slim for about 3 weeks and have been loving it. I started out on setting 3 with a Gillette Platinum Plus and it was a horrible shave with lots of irritation. I didn't use that blade again and have been using Dorco ST300's since, with the exception of 3 shaves where I took a Shark and an Astra from other razors that were about 3 shaves old and a fresh Boots own brand. I've been gradually dialing it up and got up to setting 8 and have been really enjoying the shaves. The Dorco's take me 3 passes to get the same results as 2 with the other blades but don't mind as I like the opportunity for the 3rd pass. I usually only do WTG passes due to being prone to ingrowns.
Today I loaded with a Gillette Nacet as I've read good things and wanted to try them. I dialled the Slim to 7 and the shave went very well. It mowed down 2 days of stubble in 1 pass, then went for a 2nd pass followed by touch up under chin, nose and around sideburns. Witch hazel and Nivea asb and was very impressed.
However within half an hour of the shave my face was red and itchy, much like the shave with the Platinum Plus.
Any advice out there? I'm thinking I maybe had the Slim set too high. This setting works well on the duller blades but may have been too aggressive for the Nacet. Or maybe the first pass went so well I over did it by going for a second and should have just gone straight into touch up. There was very little audio feedback on the second pass.
These are my thoughts but just wondered if you guys had any other advice as to what went wrong with this shave.

Any advice out there? I'm thinking I maybe had the Slim set too high. This setting works well on the duller blades but may have been too aggressive for the Nacet.
Yeah, I probably wouldn't do 7 with a new Nacet, but you got a similar shave from a Platinum Plus at 3. That's not too aggressive of a setting. You could try dialing it down for the next shave with the Nacet.

I've read here where people have reactions to certain blades. That may be the case here. Do you have an alum block? Alum sting can be a good indicator of shaving too aggressively.

At least you have blades that work!

I used Nacet for the first time last week, but didn't experience any issues. I did adjust the Fatboy from 7 down to 5 a week prior.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You might want to try an after shave balm like Nivea. Are the GSB and Nacet blades you are using coated with anything like Platinum? You could be allergic to the coating on those blades.

my first DE razor when i got back into DE shaving was the Slim. i use different blades, just playing around, but have found that setting #4 works best for me, no matter which blade i use. i'll usually get 4-5 shaves from a blade in my Slim, and it is in my normal rotation with my other 5 razors.

there's always a plan B.

Any time you use a new razor or a new setting on an adjustable razor, you may need to adjust the angle of the razor in relationship to your face.

With an adjustable, you are probably better starting off with a mild setting and then adjusting upward until you find the setting correct for you.

Also remember that on a multi-pass shave, it is not necessary to use the same setting on an adjustable on every pass. You might need to use a less aggressive setting on the ATG pass than WTG.

Welcome!

Since you asked, my opinion is that there are lots of moving parts at this point. I would pick one set up and stick with that until your technique is fairly solid (same prep, soap/cream, blade, razor and setting and blade). Then you can start changing thing but not too many at once.

For me, Nacets are top performers in mild/moderate razors. I also suggest trying a very soothing AS (such as Lucky Tiger) or a balm after a rough shave. Hang in there and you will get things together!

I've heard Nacets are on the sharper end of the spectrum. Could be the slim was dialed slightly too aggressive. If you haven't changed any other variable, I'd recommend going to a less aggressive setting and give it another go.

Right so I'm now thinking the irritation was caused by a combination of things. Main one seems to be 7 was probably too high a setting to be trying a new blade on. Another factor could be that being 3 months in DE shaving I seem to be going for longer strokes, so it could be that when taking longer strokes I'm not adjusting the angle accordingly, which I've probably been getting away with using the duller blades I'm used to but dragging a sharper blade across my skin is going to be less forgiving if angles off (so back to nice slow and short strokes for me). Another factor could be that a couple of hours after posting the thread I had quite a big flare up of eczema around my neck (something I'm prone to unfortunately) so if this was already starting to flare up when I dragged a sharper blade on a high setting with possibly incorrect angle across my skin I was asking for trouble.

I'm looking forward to trying the blade again as I've heard nothing but good things about them and hopefully have better luck next time.
You might want to try an after shave balm like Nivea. Are the GSB and Nacet blades you are using coated with anything like Platinum? You could be allergic to the coating on those blades.
Hmm the coating is not something I'd considered but if going back to the drawing board still causes irritation it could well be that I suppose. It's interesting that the 2 brands that have caused the irritation are Gillette's (though manufactured in different countries IIRC) and the Dorco's I use are also Platinum coated I believe and have had no irritation off them
Whereabouts are you mate? Guessing UK as you mention Boots.
Yep UK

Try a lower setting on your slim. Don't dismiss the blades just yet. Nacet's are a great blade. They seem to be the only blade that I can shave ATG with.

What are you using soap/cream wise? PM me, at the very least have some Personna Lab Blue I can post to you.
This is very kind of you sir. A PM has been sent.

My go to cream is Ingram. Mainly because the chemist opposite my house stock it so it's literally on my doorstep. I'm building quite a collection of creams but have only used this one for the past month (with exception of Kiss My Face a couple of times). Picked up some Nivea sensitive cream the other day so may give that a whirl on my delicate skin.

Been a couple of days since the bad shave now so going to give the Nacet another run today. But on a lot lower setting obviously

Right so I'm now thinking the irritation was caused by a combination of things. Main one seems to be 7 was probably too high a setting to be trying a new blade on. Another factor could be that being 3 months in DE shaving I seem to be going for longer strokes, so it could be that when taking longer strokes I'm not adjusting the angle accordingly, which I've probably been getting away with using the duller blades I'm used to but dragging a sharper blade across my skin is going to be less forgiving if angles off (so back to nice slow and short strokes for me). Another factor could be that a couple of hours after posting the thread I had quite a big flare up of eczema around my neck (something I'm prone to unfortunately) so if this was already starting to flare up when I dragged a sharper blade on a high setting with possibly incorrect angle across my skin I was asking for trouble.

I'm looking forward to trying the blade again as I've heard nothing but good things about them and hopefully have better luck next time.

Hmm the coating is not something I'd considered but if going back to the drawing board still causes irritation it could well be that I suppose. It's interesting that the 2 brands that have caused the irritation are Gillette's (though manufactured in different countries IIRC) and the Dorco's I use are also Platinum coated I believe and have had no irritation off them

Yep UK

Your self-diagnosis is spot on. Adjust your angle and stick to lower setting.

I think yiu've figured it out. Dial down and take it easy. Those Nacets take some getting used to, but they're a fine blade for many here.

I've heard Nacets are on the sharper end of the spectrum. Could be the slim was dialed slightly too aggressive. If you haven't changed any other variable, I'd recommend going to a less aggressive setting and give it another go.
Probably where the problem stems from but I would also check the blade to skin angle which should be a shallow angle. Gradual reduction of the stubble is the aim so look at that again.
Welcome to the forum.

Personally I think you're pressing too hard. Get the Slim back to 3 and work on perfecting technique.
At 3 months in, I could easily turn my skin bright red with any of the sharper razor blades .

Thanks for all the input guys and massive thanks for the amazing generosity from Prof. Moriarty.

I've since had 2 shaves on the blade that caused me irritation. Dialled the Slim back to 3 and really focused on angle. Turns out I was near enough riding the safety bar (with a fresh blade on setting 7. What was I thinking :117:). The 2 shaves have gone well, the first not that close at all (was a similar shave to when I used Derby's during my first month of de shaving). The second shave was a lot closer. Both were comfortable and completely irritation free which is the main thing.

Once again thanks all. I've had my fair share of bad shaves before and don't usually post about them. But this one was easily the worst I've had so was just after some advice about the blade. But as seems to be the norm it was a technique issue rather than an issue with the blade.

Again, every time you try a new razor, a new razor blade, or a new setting on an adjustable, make sure you have the proper angle between the razor and your face. If the angle is correct, the edge of the blade will skim along the surface of your skin, severing the hair, but not scraping off multiple layers of skin. If the angle is too steep, or too shallow, you will get irritation.

To see the effect of razor angle on skin irritation, check out a couple of videos by Michael Freedburg on the Parker 24C razor.
On the first video, Michael had the wrong angle and got a terrible shave. Some viewers contacted him and told him that he was using the wrong angle. After determining the right angle for the razor, he got a great shave. I have a Parker 24C and had the same uncomfortable experience until I found the correct angle. Now it gives my most comfortable DE shave. Hopefully, the videos will help you.

The poor shave:

The improved shave:

Top Bottom