What's new

First shave with GEM G-Bar

I had a decent shave with a GEM G-Bar tonight with no irritation. I used GEM blades from Walgreens and my usual prep. The shave was not extremely close, but acceptable. I have read that SE razors are more aggressive than my HD, so perhaps I was a bit too cautious.

I have been shaving with a DE since mid December and I have been getting consistent, irritation-free shaves, but I have been curious about SE razors. I saw this one on ebay for $9 shipped and bought it. I received it today and I just wanted to share my first experience and ask for advice from all of you SE pros out there.

Any thoughts or advice for a SE beginner?

I shaved yesterday with a G-bar and had the same thought: "I should do this more often"

I don't much like the look of them. Mine is the one with the off-white plastic handle. Sometime, off in the distant future, one of my projects will be to make a handle of more or less the same shape, but with a "butter-scorch" resin, like some of the injectors. Those are pretty.

Shaved this morning with a Gem with the fat black handle. Same thing: nice shave, not spectacular, but nice.

The G bar is a cool looking Gem SE, not the finest shaver in my opinion, being a closed comb or bar, but nonetheless still a great razor being a single edge.
No comparison to the Micromatic open comb or the revered 1912 in all its variations. Still.... I do love the G bar

I shaved yesterday with a G-bar and had the same thought: "I should do this more often"

I don't much like the look of them. Mine is the one with the off-white plastic handle. Sometime, off in the distant future, one of my projects will be to make a handle of more or less the same shape, but with a "butter-scorch" resin, like some of the injectors. Those are pretty.

Shaved this morning with a Gem with the fat black handle. Same thing: nice shave, not spectacular, but nice.

A G-Bar with a plastic handle? I am obviously new to this, but I thought that all G-Bars were 100% metal.

See link: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/G-Bar

At any rate, the SE is a nice addition. I'll put a few blades thru it before I make up my mind for sure, but I bet I will keep it around.

P

Pjotr

Is it because I've just started SE shaving and am taking notice of SE threads, but has SE become very popular suddenly? As I've said before I can't believe that DE shaving overtook SE. It's easier in my opinion. All you have to do is lay the head flat on your skin, not apply too much pressure and you really can't go too far wrong. Also the corners of the blades are not exposed to your skin unlike DE. I know DE blades corners are rounded off but still.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still waiting for my gbar. I will pick up some blue stars or treets for it. Paid $8, so I am stoked. Depending on how good I am with this I will get a 1912 or a shovel next and maybe eventually try an ocmm. I'm thinking the thicker blade will help reduce some neck irritation I keep getting from having to go in so many directions from swirling grain by sheer force of design.

Is it because I've just started SE shaving and am taking notice of SE threads, but has SE become very popular suddenly? As I've said before I can't believe that DE shaving overtook SE. It's easier in my opinion. All you have to do is lay the head flat on your skin, not apply too much pressure and you really can't go too far wrong. Also the corners of the blades are not exposed to your skin unlike DE. I know DE blades corners are rounded off but still.

Didn't it become the standard mainly because of the war?

I had a decent shave with a GEM G-Bar tonight with no irritation. I used GEM blades from Walgreens and my usual prep. The shave was not extremely close, but acceptable. I have read that SE razors are more aggressive than my HD, so perhaps I was a bit too cautious.

I have been shaving with a DE since mid December and I have been getting consistent, irritation-free shaves, but I have been curious about SE razors. I saw this one on ebay for $9 shipped and bought it. I received it today and I just wanted to share my first experience and ask for advice from all of you SE pros out there.

Any thoughts or advice for a SE beginner?

The G-Bar, it's real name is the Heavy Flat Top, is one of the "mildest" single edge razors available. The last models that ASR made, Micromatic Bullet Tip, Featherweight, Push Button and Contour, all shared the same safety bar design and aren't as aggressive (efficient) as the earlier designs. If you get a chance to try a 1912, 1914, 1924 or a Micromatic open comb or Clog-pruf you should see the difference right away. The HFT is capable of great results it just takes a bit more work from the user.

Sounds like you have a Featherweight, not a G-Bar or Heavy Flat Top, if it has the off white plastic handle.

I don't like all the new SE threads. I need to get cheap SE razors!

Glad you enjoyed it though. I personally don't like the GBar; way too mild after using the Minuteman and OCMM.

I don't know what its proper name is. The handle appears to be just crimped in a plain metal stub off the head, and it has a "G" in a circle near the far end. I just figured with the "G" it would be a G-bar. Whatever the name it gives a nice shave.

Yes that is a G-bar aka Heavy Flat Top. Nice, mild shaver. Will even take a Feather SE blade :thumbup1:

P

Pjotr

Aside from being very expensive, what are the Feather SE blades like? Sharp I take it.

Aside from being very expensive, what are the Feather SE blades like? Sharp I take it.

For me a lot like their DE blades: first shave is awesome, after that good. Only this blade gave me 8 shaves in the G-bar / HFT. Never got that much out of a Feather :laugh:

My g-bar finally arrived today. It looks like it was made yesterday. It's funny how Gem seems to be the only company that knew how to plate a razor and have it last. Anyway, first gem, figured this was the best start point as the design seems to encourage proper form. Will report back.

Top Bottom