What's new

First shave with GEM G-Bar

My Gbar arrived in the mail yesterday. It is a good looking razor. I like the detail work. It's Open Comb March. It's going to be tough waiting until April.

I got a G-Bar in excellent condition for $3 at a secondhand store yesterday. I'd been eyeing it for some time but wanted to get an opinion on whether or not they were decent shavers. Evidently they are so the kid swooped down upon it.
:thumbup:

Second try with this was way better. Used the next treet in the magazine and it was much better. I never got my upper lip so smooth before. I found where the razor shined was on the buffing pass bc it gave so much audible feedback.

Great to hear about your shaving experiences. I'm waiting for my G-Bar to arrive any day now. Already bought some blades for it from CVS. Will take it for a spin as soon as I can.

Another bad shave. Treet only had life in it for two passes and gave up on atg. first one didn't deliver one good shave and the second delivered one good one and two passes. I skipped a day though so maybe that had an effect despite the extensive drying of the blade. Carbon steel blades really are rubbish.

Another bad shave. Treet only had life in it for two passes and gave up on atg. first one didn't deliver one good shave and the second delivered one good one and two passes. I skipped a day though so maybe that had an effect despite the extensive drying of the blade. Carbon steel blades really are rubbish.
Carbon blades are good for a maximum 2 shaves imho.:thumbdown

Based on their useful lifespan, treets work out to be considerably more expensive than the gems form walgreens I'd imagine. It's a shame it cannot survive two goes on my face b/c it is very sharp and smooth when you have a good one.

Been sticking to just this razor to give it a really fair go since the more familiar you get the more you can get out of it. The razor itself is awesome, but slightly too mild imo. Need to get some stainless blades as those Treets cannot cut a sandwich after the first shave. I would go so far as to say that this razor would be a better intro to wetshaving than a tech even as the angle is so easy to maintain plus it is mild. Wouldn't mind trying the feather se blade in this since I am familiar with the de blades but I'd be an unhappy man if they die as fast as their DE blades do given their cost for 5. It is honestly amazing how much less irritation this razor seems to give me than a de.

Last edited:
P

Pjotr

I don't know where you live but if you can get hold of Treet carbon blades you must also have access to the GEM Stainless that are for sale at Walgreens (have not a clue what or who Walgreens is but hear the name mentioned all the time). It's the blade nearly all SE shavers use. And there's a reason for that! I haven't tried Feather but you apparently need to use the spine off one of your other blades. Sounds like a pain to me. Don't give up just get the right blade! GEM PTFE Coated Stainless Steel. I'll say that again: GEM PTFE Coated Stainless Steel.

I live by two walgreens and they are always sold out of the things. It's a drug store/chemist chain that are the size of supermarkets.

P

Pjotr

I'd happily PIF you a few but by the time they get there from Australia you'll have moved on to straights or something!

I live by two walgreens and they are always sold out of the things. It's a drug store/chemist chain that are the size of supermarkets.

Try CVS or Rite-Aid. If they aren't good options for you, find an independent pharmacy. The ones around here sell Gems and Personnas, and also carry Schick injectors. Follow this link to find one near you.

I came across a Gem junior 1912 in the flea market today for $5. I will give some impressions on this razor as well once I have a chance to use it. Have not deviated from the g bar btw, I only get one shave from a treet before it won't cut hair at all but I have to say I have it down to a point where it is an incredibly smooth shave. It requires a lot of buffing but it is smoother than any de would get me unless I wanted to get extremely irritated. I think that is the big difference with the SE razor, you pay less of a price in terms of razor burn than with the de, but if it bites, it bites worse.

Top Bottom