What's new

First shave with Edwin Jagger 3one6

Hello everyone,

I finally got around to doing my first shave with the new Edwin Jagger 3one6 this weekend and I thought I would write a post to let you all know how it went. I got the all-stainless version with the knurled handle. Invictus warned me that the razor has a large blade gap, and he was right (thank you, sir). I looked at the rest of the razors in my collection and the only one that seemed to have a comparable blade gap was the Vikings Blade Emperor on the highest setting. I stuck with my usual system, which I will lay out below. This has given me consistently good results with the Rockwell 6C, and I wanted to make sure that the only variable that changed was the razor.

Prep: Proraso Red pre-shave cream and a warm damp brush
Razor: EJ 3one6 in this case, but normally a 6C with R4 for the 1st pass and R2 for pass 2 and 3
Blade: Gillette Nacet (new)
Cream: Proraso White
Aftershave: Alum block and Proraso Green post-shave balm

I understand that the “Proraso mix-n-match” is not standard procedure, and maybe it’s all in my head, but using those specific colors for those specific steps has reliably produced great results for me time after time. I did not find this site until after my first year of DE shaving, so the long solo trial-and-error process may have produced some unusual habits.

1st pass: With the grain. I could tell right away that this was a more aggressive razor than I’m used to and it really made me want to slow down and pay attention to what I was doing. The razor really felt like it was engaging the stubble and almost drawing itself in. I’ve noticed the same thing from the VB Emperor on the higher settings. I decided I would give serious consideration to stopping after 2 passes because there’s definitely a good bit of blade here. At the end of the pass the razor had removed quite a bit, more than most of my other razors do, and it occurred to me that this would be a good option for busy mornings when there is only time for 1 pass. No bleeding or irritation yet. Decided to go on to pass 2.

2nd pass: Across the grain. Once again, taking my time and really paying attention to what I’m doing. At the end, a pretty darn decent shave and on any typical day I’d have left it here and been quite satisfied. Still no bleeding or irritation. I really considered stopping here, because if I cut myself anymore it almost always happens on the 3rd pass. So far the shave is going very well and more reduction really isn’t necessary. But in the end I decided to go on to pass 3.

3rd pass: Against the grain. In some areas it felt like the razor wasn’t cutting anything at all. Perhaps there was nothing left to remove. But then the razor started to feel like it was tugging and pulling a little bit in some specific trouble spots on the neck. I have noticed the same phenomenon with all of my other razors as well, and it always happens when going against the grain in these specific spots. But at the end of pass 3, still no nicks, no cuts, no weepers, and no irritation. I’m feeling pretty pleased at this point.

After the shave, just a slight bit of feedback from the alum block on the neck, but in the same spots as the 6C and no worse than the 6C. Results were at least as close as what I get from the 6C, and perhaps a little better, especially on the neck, which surprised me.

Conclusions: Overall, a pleasant surprise, although I can tell that this razor means business. I expect it to find a spot in my rotation, but I’m not sure if I like it better than the 6C yet. I really like the idea of using it for quick and efficient one-pass shaves. It strikes me as something that would excel in that role. I also like that it serves as a good challenge for my technique, because it really required me to slow down and pay attention. Sometimes the 6C on R2 is so forgiving that I worry about developing bad habits. Switching to a more aggressive razor forced me to think about the fundamentals again in a way that the R2 plate doesn’t seem to require. It would be interesting to try it with the Feather blades that it came with, although I’ll probably stick to Nacets for a little while. It’s quite a nice razor and I’m happy to have it. Will it end up outranking the 6C? Time will tell.

Thanks!

Great review. I have the same razor and it shaves closer than any in my den. I don’t find it overly aggressive even though it has a large blade gap. I find it to be smooth and comfortable.

Glad you had a good first experience. I love mine and use it often. So far it likes all the blades I’ve tried. It has topped all my razors which surprised me. I hated the DE89, my first razor so I didn’t have high hopes for the 3one6 but it’s night and day different than the DE89.....much better. I just returned my Timeless Ti .95 polished razor as it didn’t shave as well as the 3one6.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I find the aggressiveness similar to the Rockwell 6C on plate 4.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Great review. I have the same razor and it shaves closer than any in my den. I don’t find it overly aggressive even though it has a large blade gap. I find it to be smooth and comfortable.

Glad you had a good first experience. I love mine and use it often. So far it likes all the blades I’ve tried. It has topped all my razors which surprised me. I hated the DE89, my first razor so I didn’t have high hopes for the 3one6 but it’s night and day different than the DE89.....much better. I just returned my Timeless Ti .95 polished razor as it didn’t shave as well as the 3one6.
Interesting, the DE89 was my first razor too and I struggled with it as well. Never could go against the grain comfortably with it.

Hello everyone,

I finally got around to doing my first shave with the new Edwin Jagger 3one6 this weekend and I thought I would write a post to let you all know how it went. I got the all-stainless version with the knurled handle. Invictus warned me that the razor has a large blade gap, and he was right (thank you, sir). I looked at the rest of the razors in my collection and the only one that seemed to have a comparable blade gap was the Vikings Blade Emperor on the highest setting. I stuck with my usual system, which I will lay out below. This has given me consistently good results with the Rockwell 6C, and I wanted to make sure that the only variable that changed was the razor.

Prep: Proraso Red pre-shave cream and a warm damp brush
Razor: EJ 3one6 in this case, but normally a 6C with R4 for the 1st pass and R2 for pass 2 and 3
Blade: Gillette Nacet (new)
Cream: Proraso White
Aftershave: Alum block and Proraso Green post-shave balm

I understand that the “Proraso mix-n-match” is not standard procedure, and maybe it’s all in my head, but using those specific colors for those specific steps has reliably produced great results for me time after time. I did not find this site until after my first year of DE shaving, so the long solo trial-and-error process may have produced some unusual habits.

1st pass: With the grain. I could tell right away that this was a more aggressive razor than I’m used to and it really made me want to slow down and pay attention to what I was doing. The razor really felt like it was engaging the stubble and almost drawing itself in. I’ve noticed the same thing from the VB Emperor on the higher settings. I decided I would give serious consideration to stopping after 2 passes because there’s definitely a good bit of blade here. At the end of the pass the razor had removed quite a bit, more than most of my other razors do, and it occurred to me that this would be a good option for busy mornings when there is only time for 1 pass. No bleeding or irritation yet. Decided to go on to pass 2.

2nd pass: Across the grain. Once again, taking my time and really paying attention to what I’m doing. At the end, a pretty darn decent shave and on any typical day I’d have left it here and been quite satisfied. Still no bleeding or irritation. I really considered stopping here, because if I cut myself anymore it almost always happens on the 3rd pass. So far the shave is going very well and more reduction really isn’t necessary. But in the end I decided to go on to pass 3.

3rd pass: Against the grain. In some areas it felt like the razor wasn’t cutting anything at all. Perhaps there was nothing left to remove. But then the razor started to feel like it was tugging and pulling a little bit in some specific trouble spots on the neck. I have noticed the same phenomenon with all of my other razors as well, and it always happens when going against the grain in these specific spots. But at the end of pass 3, still no nicks, no cuts, no weepers, and no irritation. I’m feeling pretty pleased at this point.

After the shave, just a slight bit of feedback from the alum block on the neck, but in the same spots as the 6C and no worse than the 6C. Results were at least as close as what I get from the 6C, and perhaps a little better, especially on the neck, which surprised me.

Conclusions: Overall, a pleasant surprise, although I can tell that this razor means business. I expect it to find a spot in my rotation, but I’m not sure if I like it better than the 6C yet. I really like the idea of using it for quick and efficient one-pass shaves. It strikes me as something that would excel in that role. I also like that it serves as a good challenge for my technique, because it really required me to slow down and pay attention. Sometimes the 6C on R2 is so forgiving that I worry about developing bad habits. Switching to a more aggressive razor forced me to think about the fundamentals again in a way that the R2 plate doesn’t seem to require. It would be interesting to try it with the Feather blades that it came with, although I’ll probably stick to Nacets for a little while. It’s quite a nice razor and I’m happy to have it. Will it end up outranking the 6C? Time will tell.

Thanks!
I found that I liked Polsilvers in the 3one6 the most, the technique needed with the 3one6 will set you up really well if you decide to go the Timeless route at some point. Have some great shaves.

Interesting, the DE89 was my first razor too and I struggled with it as well. Never could go against the grain comfortably with it.

I found it very uncomfortable. Some of that could have been beginners poor technique, but I just never got along with it. I liked the Merkur 34HD much better. Ten years later, I decided to give EJ another try after running across the 3one6. Glad I took the plunge....great razor.

How is this versus the muhle rocca? Anyone tried a comparison test?

I have both. The Rocca is a very good razor as well, but I prefer the 3one6. Provides a slightly closer shave and the balance is a little better. I have the birch bark handle version of the Rocca. That handle is the bomb however.....most comfortable handle I've ever used.

Try to use the Rockwell R3 for all three passes and then make a comparision with 3one6 😉
For me it shaved better than the Rockwell from the first go. I have had mine since they first came out and it is one of my favourites. I agree with Invicta, shaves a little closer than the Rocca. I find it very smooth.

Someone already provided a link to an earlier post in which I compared the 3ONE6 and Muhle Rocca, so I won't rehash that comparison. I've also used the Rockwell 6C, which I think provides a similar quality shave as those other two with the advantage of being somewhat adjustable. (I keep thinking that there ought to be a separate category for razors with multiple plates. In my mind they are not truly adjustable, like a Merkur Progress or Gillette Super Adjustable, where you can simply turn a dial to change the blade exposure.) I sold my Rockwell because I did not like the bulky head, and unlike you, once I found a plate I liked, I never changed it.

I just returned from a two week trip on which I only brought one razor, my 3ONE6. I never had a bad shave. One change I made was to swap out the original knurled handle for a RazoRock stainless steel HD handle. I have large hands with somewhat arthritic fingers and the small diameter of the 3ONE6 handle was not all that comfortable for me.

I acquired my 3ONE6, 4 days ago and had 4 consecutive shaves.

First I gave a try to Feather(1) very sharp but confortable shave. Two pass WTG and ATG result was BBS. No nicks/cuts/irritations.

Second try was with the GSB(1) again two pass WTG and ATG result BBS and again no nicks/cuts/irritations.

Third try was with Astra SP(1), one pass WTG and again no nicks/cuts/irritations result was DFS+, very close to BBS.

Today try was with Shark Platinum (1) one pass WTG and again no nicks/cuts/irritations result was DFS+, very close to BBS.

Initial Remarks;

I can use daily.

Rocca for sure is more aggressive. I can't use Rocca daily basis (YMMV).

During my tries from sharpest blade to dullest one I have, I notice that it cope perfectly in a wide range of blade sharpness.

If I decide to use daily basis my blade choice will be Astra SP

It is very good on moustache area (under nose)

3ONE6shark.jpeg

I acquired my 3ONE6, 4 days ago and had 4 consecutive shaves.

First I gave a try to Feather(1) very sharp but confortable shave. Two pass WTG and ATG result was BBS. No nicks/cuts/irritations.

Second try was with the GSB(1) again two pass WTG and ATG result BBS and again no nicks/cuts/irritations.

Third try was with Astra SP(1), one pass WTG and again no nicks/cuts/irritations result was DFS+, very close to BBS.

Today try was with Shark Platinum (1) one pass WTG and again no nicks/cuts/irritations result was DFS+, very close to BBS.

Initial Remarks;

I can use daily.

Rocca for sure is more aggressive. I can't use Rocca daily basis (YMMV).

During my tries from sharpest blade to dullest one I have, I notice that it cope perfectly in a wide range of blade sharpness.

If I decide to use daily basis my blade choice will be Astra SP

It is very good on moustache area (under nose)

View attachment 1246856
I agree with you - the 3ONE6 does not seem to be picky with regard to your choice of blade. So far I have used Personna Israeli Red, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Nacet and Feather blades. All provided excellent shaves. I think I prefer the Feather and Nacet blades, but that may be only because those are the ones I've used most recently.

Top Bottom