What's new

First shave with bullet tip Gem

Picked up this razor last week. Great shave.

Attachments

• 20190728_093233.jpg
    20190728_093233.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Great razor. I’ve not seen one with a plastic tip before and didn’t realise that they manufactured them that way. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Great razor. I’ve not seen one with a plastic tip before and didn’t realise that they manufactured them that way. [emoji106]

Yep -- the original Micromatic Bullet Tip aka "Flying Wing" came out in 1947 (all chrome), and in 1950 the plastic "bullet tip" makes it's appearance....which also seems to be the first year of the Gem Featherweight (which has a full plastic handle). So it's the youngest version of the MMBTs, but it also seems to be one of the rarer versions in my experience...just don't see a lot of them. I'm not sure how long they were in production given the new model coming out.

Here's a B&B thread with some more info, for those interested: American Safety Razor Dating Chart - Gem, Ever Ready, Kampfe Star

Flintstone65

@Hair apparent -- quick question. Does your razor have a small circle in the middle of the top cap? It almost looks like it does to me from the pic, but I can't quite tell.

@Hair apparent -- quick question. Does your razor have a small circle in the middle of the top cap? It almost looks like it does to me from the pic, but I can't quite tell.

The photo can be blown up to huge proportions. Definitely not a guiding eye on it. There are a couple of drops of water, though. :)

I'm not sure who made that soap but I'm not impressed that the text printed on the lid is smearing.

Flintstone65

The photo can be blown up to huge proportions. Definitely not a guiding eye on it. There are a couple of drops of water, though. :)

I'm not sure who made that soap but I'm not impressed that the text printed on the lid is smearing.
Thanks -- I thought I saw a "unicorn" (plastic tip with a guiding eye) :001_smile.

Yep -- the original Micromatic Bullet Tip aka "Flying Wing" came out in 1947 (all chrome), and in 1950 the plastic "bullet tip" makes it's appearance....which also seems to be the first year of the Gem Featherweight (which has a full plastic handle). So it's the youngest version of the MMBTs, but it also seems to be one of the rarer versions in my experience...just don't see a lot of them. I'm not sure how long they were in production given the new model coming out.

Here's a B&B thread with some more info, for those interested: American Safety Razor Dating Chart - Gem, Ever Ready, Kampfe Star

That’s really interesting. Thank you for the comprehensive reply. [emoji846]

Beautiful razor with a nice unique tip.

Got an all steel one thanks to the generosity of @shave/brush . They shave extremely well. It immediately sold me on SE shaving.

Enjoy. [emoji846]

Top Bottom