What's new

First Shave With an R41

I’ve been 41 curious for awhile now. It’s reputation is legendary. I found a head only on the auction site, which is perfect because I have a few handles and had just sold my Muhle handle. The day it arrived I was giving my face a rest from the previous day’s shave with the Opgress . The next day with two days growth I loaded up a fresh Kai and a RR Barber pole handle and hopped in the shower. After the shower I loaded up my recently acquired from the BST Craving Shaving brush with boss knot with some Cella Bio. This brush is gorgeous, and nice’n’chunky to hold. I really like the knot but, as I have found with other synths, the loft is set a little low, which prevents it from being a great splayer. Not a huge deal as I bowl lather anyway. After a nice Cella was whipped up it was time to dive in. Usually short steep strokes are what I like so that’s how I started. Wow. Right away my very first impression was lots of blade feel but I can work with that. It was two day’s growth after all. Ok first cheek done. Holy crow. There’s no stubble left. What the heck?? Onto the neck. Same thing. Other check and neck. Same same. Wild. That’s great But my upper lip and goatee area are gonna get chewed up by this thing right ? Au contraire mon frère. Them whiskers were chopped down sure, but no skin damaged in the crossfire. I was amazed. After one pass I had a closer shave than most razors give me after 3 plus touch ups. I decided to soldier on for two more passes. With the majority of the whiskers removed in the first pass the second two were much smoother. I’m truly wowed. This was possibly the closest shave I’ve ever had, and it took no extra effort to get to Dolphin butt smooth. R41, you’re alright by me. Stick around awhile.

(Full disclosure: it’s second nature to grab the star jelly for my pics cause I use it most of the time but, this shave I actually used a sample of Clubman Pinaud. Oops.)
25D8C309-7542-4D11-82BC-575A9B24722E.jpeg

Congrats the R41 is also my favorite Razor. Almost nothing I have Shaves as well as my R41 and that Brush is Beautiful. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I am another recent convert to the R41. I dont regret waiting more than a decade of wet shaving to try one. It was the right time for me to go there. I started off as a lover of mild razors. The last few years, my aggression sweet spot has been steadily moving to the other extreme. Now its is common for me to use a CG Level 3, or my Slim on 9 with no issues. So it was time to give the R41 a shot. I bought a kit off the BST with two baseplates, a couple of different top caps, and a couple of handles. I have found it very enjoyable trying the R41 with different top caps. The shave experience is quite different depending on which top cap you try. But the results are always comparable... super close! If you have any of the variations of the SLOC, or the Maggards 3a/Yintal razors laying around, throw the top cap on your R41. Removes all the blade chatter and lets you ride super steep without any issues. But anyway you slice it, I am an R41 fan now.

I do have a Mellon top cap. I’ll give it a whirl. Thanks!
I am another recent convert to the R41. I dont regret waiting more than a decade of wet shaving to try one. It was the right time for me to go there. I started off as a lover of mild razors. The last few years, my aggression sweet spot has been steadily moving to the other extreme. Now its is common for me to use a CG Level 3, or my Slim on 9 with no issues. So it was time to give the R41 a shot. I bought a kit off the BST with two baseplates, a couple of different top caps, and a couple of handles. I have found it very enjoyable trying the R41 with different top caps. The shave experience is quite different depending on which top cap you try. But the results are always comparable... super close! If you have any of the variations of the SLOC, or the Maggards 3a/Yintal razors laying around, throw the top cap on your R41. Removes all the blade chatter and lets you ride super steep without any issues. But anyway you slice it, I am an R41 fan now.

I always get a kick of the "first time with a R41 threads".Most act shocked at how well it works and that it wasn't such a fearsome monster as some make it out to be.

You don't need to spent $400 for a Wolfman in order to get a close shave. Heck, now you can even get a R41 in stainless.

I pretty much did the same thing as the OP. Bought the head for $25 from Maggarts using a spare handle, and loved the shave from the very first time. I then ordered the SS and liked it even better.

I recently read that Muhle changed the top cap post on the Zamak head to brass. If you look under the cap there is a number. The #4 is Zamak and the #5 is brass. Should really extend the life of the Zamaz razor head.

Top Bottom