What's new

First shave with an Old Type

Well, today I decided to take the plunge and try out my 1920's Old Type.

Alas the handle had the classic crack, and wanted to pull-away from the razor head too easily for my liking. Thus I created something of a Franken-Razor (no relation to Al), as I've heard of other users doing the same. I used the handle of my 47-48 Gold Ball-handled Tech to secure the Old Type head.

proxy.php

Perhaps as this was the first time using an Old Type, I can admit to being a little disheartened. Or perhaps it was coming after using a 1940's Aristocrat for several days. Of course technique is another factor.

EDIT Actually, after some faceturbating after face was completely dry, it doesn't seem so bad. Odd.

On the lighter side, perhaps my T&H and GFT samples will arrive today, and I can shave again with neat new creams to use :biggrin:

Tomorrow...the Tech.

proxy.php

Can I assume that your Old Type was assembled in a little different manner when you were attempting to shave with it? In your picture, it appears that the head is assembled upside down. I also don't seem to see a blade, so I suspect this picture wasn't taken right at the time you were using it?

Regards,
Tom

Well, today I decided to take the plunge and try out my 1920's Old Type.

Alas the handle had the classic crack, and wanted to pull-away from the razor head too easily for my liking. Thus I created something of a Franken-Razor (no relation to Al), as I've heard of other users doing the same. I used the handle of my 47-48 Gold Ball-handled Tech to secure the Old Type head.

proxy.php

Perhaps as this was the first time using an Old Type, I can admit to being a little disheartened. Or perhaps it was coming after using a 1940's Aristocrat for several days. Of course technique is another factor.

EDIT Actually, after some faceturbating after face was completely dry, it doesn't seem so bad. Odd.

On the lighter side, perhaps my T&H and GFT samples will arrive today, and I can shave again with neat new creams to use :biggrin:

Tomorrow...the Tech.

proxy.php

I one bought a NOS New and it was packed this way: ie. with the head upside down. I've never tried to shave with it like that though.

Can I assume that your Old Type was assembled in a little different manner when you were attempting to shave with it? In your picture, it appears that the head is assembled upside down. I also don't seem to see a blade, so I suspect this picture wasn't taken right at the time you were using it?

Regards,
Tom

hahaha, i was going to say, i hope he didnt shave with the head assembled like that! :001_smile

jeff, you might want to track down a pre 1920 old type. those usually dont have cracked handles.

hahaha, i was going to say, i hope he didnt shave with the head assembled like that! :001_smile

jeff, you might want to track down a pre 1920 old type. those usually dont have cracked handles.

I kept waiting to read the 'don't worry guys, that's just how I got it, I didn't actually shave with it like that'

With the results though, he's got me thinking.....naaah!

Regards,
Tom

Yeah, ya'll got me on that one. I realized I had slapped it together wrong after taking the picture. This was pre-shave, without the blade.

I'm guessing shaving like that would cause some serious rake-marks!

Top Bottom