What's new

First shave with a vintage Schick injector razor

I've bought 3 Schick injectors a few months ago along with a pack of ''Chicks'' and Personnas, but never used them, because the Schicks came along with lots of new and vintage DE razors and I was way more interested to try them out first and I kinda forgot about the Schicks.

The shave was surprisingly effortless and I had to stop a couple of times, because I couldn't feel the blade cutting my whiskers, but to my surprise, my face was super smooth. Even the first pass felt like I did 2 with a DE razor. When I go XTG and ATG in some tricky spots on my face most DE razors and blades almost stop cutting, because the direction of my hair is reversed and it's thicker, but the Schick got through like it was nothing. I'm really impressed and I never expected injectors to be that good. I'm starting to think that SE blades are much better for my type of beard, even though I get great shaves from the DE blades.

I broke the handle of the G2 while cleaning it and I have to fix it at some point.

172578465_2963696047242338_1558281186932448059_n.jpg
172060838_2963695987242344_8964660089659634564_n.jpg

I've bought 3 Schick injectors a few months ago along with a pack of ''Chicks'' and Personnas, but never used them, because the Schicks came along with lots of new and vintage DE razors and I was way more interested to try them out first and I kinda forgot about the Schicks.

The shave was surprisingly effortless and I had to stop a couple of times, because I couldn't feel the blade cutting my whiskers, but to my surprise, my face was super smooth. Even the first pass felt like I did 2 with a DE razor. When I go XTG and ATG in some tricky spots on my face most DE razors and blades almost stop cutting, because the direction of my hair is reversed and it's thicker, but the Schick got through like it was nothing. I'm really impressed and I never expected injectors to be that good. I'm starting to think that SE blades are much better for my type of beard, even though I get great shaves from the DE blades.

I broke the handle of the G2 while cleaning it and I have to fix it at some point.

View attachment 1249504View attachment 1249506
How does one break a handle while cleaning a razor that has lasted for about 70 years? Is there a story there?

The razor was quite dirty and I put it in very hot water and after that I put the razor in 80% isopropyl alcohol and the mix of both have cracked and ''almost'' melted the handle. Then, after trying cleaning it a bit more with q tips, the head came of the handle.

The razor was quite dirty and I put it in very hot water and after that I put the razor in 80% isopropyl alcohol and the mix of both have cracked and ''almost'' melted the handle. Then, after trying cleaning it a bit more with q tips, the head came of the handle.
Brother Medivh,

If you had dunked me into that kind of "high octane" cleaning solution, I probably would have come apart too. Lesson learned, the hard way. And that often is the best way to learn! :concern:

On the positive side, we now know how to remove the handle from a vintage Schick injector.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well looks like you have 2 usable of 3 excellent injectors that will give you great shaves! I really enjoy the E2 type & M3 type adjustable injectors you have.
I make sure I use a injector once a week and usually on "Sunday Schick shave". Great razors and hopefully you enjoy them.

Brother Medivh,

If you had dunked me into that kind of "high octane" cleaning solution, I probably would have come apart too. Lesson learned, the hard way. And that often is the best way to learn! :concern:

On the positive side, we now know how to remove the handle from a vintage Schick injector.

Yeah, I should have seen that coming, but the razor was very dirty and I don't have many plastic razors that i've cleaned like that before. I think I can make another handle pretty easy or try to glue the broken one.

I just had another shave, but this time with the M3 with a Personna blade. The results are pretty much the same as before - super easy and comfortable BBS with almost no effort.
I think the Personna feel a bit sharper and I still need to do a couple of more shaves to find out which blade is better for me and I hope it's the Personna, since it's a lot cheaper than the Chicks.

I'm really amazed by the injector razors. I can go XTG and ATG everywhere on my face without an issue and I don't feel any tugging, pulling whatsoever.
Now I understand why some folks leave DE razors behind and use SE instead.

When I go XTG and ATG in some tricky spots on my face most DE razors and blades almost stop cutting, because the direction of my hair is reversed and it's thicker, but the Schick got through like it was nothing.
I know the feeling... had the same revelation when I first used an AC SE razor. These tick and rigid SE blades just effortlessly mow down everything standing in their way, be it "Chicks", AC blades or GEM... they just don't bend, so no chatter, no skipping 😁

Second shave with the E3 with a Chick blade. I think the Chicks are not as sharp as the Personnas, but they are a bit more comfortable. It could also be from the razors (E3 and M3 adjustable). I have a feeling that the Chick won't last very long - 2 more shaves at best.

Didn’t Adam @romsitsa do one with a brass door handle?
Yes, he did, it turned out very nice. I believe I found that post.

1618426769699.png

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Second shave with the E3 with a Chick blade. I think the Chicks are not as sharp as the Personnas, but they are a bit more comfortable. It could also be from the razors (E3 and M3 adjustable). I have a feeling that the Chick won't last very long - 2 more shaves at best.
When installing a new blade make sure you have a old blade in the injector razor so to prevent new blade rubbing against the first blade stop. Hitting the stop will damage the edge for sure.(not sure you are aware of that?)
I usually get from about 8-12 shaves with a Chick blade, how many shaves do you get with a DE blade?
The Personna injector blades 8-14 shaves and I toss after 10 regardless because it's a average I concluded when testing years ago.
I can get more comfortable #'s shaves with a SE razor than a DE blade most of the times yet there are exceptions with a Kai SS DE blade I seem to crank out 8-14 but toss at 10 regardless and seems to keep the quality of shaves good.
This simple illustration helped me understand why a SE should get more shaves and a SE blade is 2 1/2 times thicker.
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
When installing a new blade make sure you have a old blade in the injector razor so to prevent new blade rubbing against the first blade stop. Hitting the stop will damage the edge for sure.
I usually get from about 8-12 shaves with a Chick blade, how many shaves do you get with a DE blade?
The Personna injector blades 8-14 shaves and I toss after 10 regardless because it's a average I concluded when testing years ago.
I can get more comfortable #'s shaves with a SE razor than a DE blade most of the times yet there are exceptions with a Kai SS DE blade I seem to crank out 8-14 but toss at 10 regardless and seems to keep the quality of shaves good.
This helped simple illustration me understand why a SE should get more shaves and a SE blade is 2 1/2 times thicker.
View attachment 1251423
Have some great shaves!

The E3 came without a blade inside unlike the broken G1 and the M3 and it could have been damaged when I loaded the blade, although I don't feel any pulling or tugging. I usually get 3 and sometimes 4 good shaves from a DE blade and around the same with the GEM Personna blades. So far I shaved only 3 times with injector razors - 2 with the Chick and 1 with the Personna and I think I like the Personna a bit more, because it feels a bit sharper, but not as smooth as the Chick, but with a bit of care that can be ''fixed''.

I glide both injectors ''almost'' like a cartridge razor and I think the M3 feels more intuitive and it glides a bit better and I find the handle a bit more comftable compared to the E3. I've used the adjustable on 7 the last time and I forgot that the 8 was the highest setting. At some point I have to switch the blades on both razors to get a better understanding of what's going on, but so far I think I like the Personna a bit better and the reason for that is mostly the price. I can buy 500 Personna blades for around 104$ with free shipping from Connaughtshaving.

The E3 came without a blade inside unlike the broken G1 and the M3 and it could have been damaged when I loaded the blade, although I don't feel any pulling or tugging. I usually get 3 and sometimes 4 good shaves from a DE blade and around the same with the GEM Personna blades. So far I shaved only 3 times with injector razors - 2 with the Chick and 1 with the Personna and I think I like the Personna a bit more, because it feels a bit sharper, but not as smooth as the Chick, but with a bit of care that can be ''fixed''.

I glide both injectors ''almost'' like a cartridge razor and I think the M3 feels more intuitive and it glides a bit better and I find the handle a bit more comftable compared to the E3. I've used the adjustable on 7 the last time and I forgot that the 8 was the highest setting. At some point I have to switch the blades on both razors to get a better understanding of what's going on, but so far I think I like the Personna a bit better and the reason for that is mostly the price. I can buy 500 Personna blades for around 104$ with free shipping from Connaughtshaving.
As most people here get 15-20 shaves from an injector blade 500 might be a legacy investment :c9:

As most people here get 15-20 shaves from an injector blade 500 might be a legacy investment :c9:

I have to see that for myself. I mean, I would love to get that many shaves, but i've heard the same thing about the Personna GEM blades a while ago that most people can get around 10 shaves, but the best I can do is 3-4 shaves and after that the blade starts tugging like a butterknife. If I can get 5 good shaves that would be a win for me :D. Sometimes I feel like i'm cursed with that dreadful beard of mine.

Top Bottom