What's new

First shave with a Toggle!

I lucked into a D-1 Toggle at a flea market yesterday. I love my Fatboy, so Toggles have always seemed intriguing but, making it longer and heavier isn't the way I would go. So I told myself the Fatboy is probably a better shaver anyway. Now that I actually have one in hand I see these are not nearly as close to a Fatboy as I thought. The way it holds the blade is completely different. So now I really had to try it out.

I decided to start on 5 it's a little lower than I usually go on the Fatty, but I shaved yesterday and I rarely use my Fatty for one days growth. Head shave and high cheeks only. Five seemed a great choice, just enough blade feel to find my angle while still feeling very smooth. Stubble just melted away, could have stopped after one pass, but went for a second. I never chase BBS, but I came very close to it this morning, were talking dolphin smooth.

I think it shaves smoother than the Fatboy, because it supports the blade all the way to the ends. Where the Fatboy leaves the ends unsupported and allows the blade to warp a bit. It actually felt much better in hand than I thought it would to. After 1 shave I think this is going to see more action than I thought it would.

P1090094(rc1rs).jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I lucked into a D-1 Toggle at a flea market yesterday. I love my Fatboy, so Toggles have always seemed intriguing but, making it longer and heavier isn't the way I would go. So I told myself the Fatboy is probably a better shaver anyway. Now that I actually have one in hand I see these are not nearly as close to a Fatboy as I thought. The way it holds the blade is completely different. So now I really had to try it out.

I decided to start on 5 it's a little lower than I usually go on the Fatty, but I shaved yesterday and I rarely use my Fatty for one days growth. Head shave and high cheeks only. Five seemed a great choice, just enough blade feel to find my angle while still feeling very smooth. Stubble just melted away, could have stopped after one pass, but went for a second. I never chase BBS, but I came very close to it this morning, were talking dolphin smooth.

I think it shaves smoother than the Fatboy, because it supports the blade all the way to the ends. Where the Fatboy leaves the ends unsupported and allows the blade to warp a bit. It actually felt much better in hand than I thought it would to. After 1 shave I think this is going to see more action than I thought it would.

View attachment 970532
Great score! I only ever find warped superspeeds with flea bites. Well done.

Wow. I'm insanely jealous.
I've been looking for a toggle at every antique store and flea market I've been to for the better part of a decade. No dice.

Congratulations.

The Toggle holds a special place in my collection, no razor shaves better for me and I've shaved with nearly all of them over the past 10 years. Congrats on your score and to many more wonderful shaves.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Congratulations on scoring a Toggle in the wild. I have found several so I know how hard it is to keep a poker face when you’re holding that beauty in your hand. Especially when you’re paying for it with a fist full of singles. I agree with you, compared to a Fat Boy, they are two different razors. IMHO, it shaves identically to a Bottom Dial. I use them both opened up to 9 for a smooth face

That's a great review. Keep telling about subsequent shaves. I know I'll never get one to shave with so it's nice to hear about someone else using it.

Top Bottom