What's new

First shave with a Slant!

What a dilema. I opened the package and there was an HD and a Slant. What to do???

I went in and set up the Taylor's Lavendar (my favorite), loaded each of my new razors with a new Derby and set them in hot water along with my lathering bowl, and brush and hit the shower.

When I got out I lathered up and the Slant was calling me. I picked it up and started on the first pass. I decided that I would use it until I nicked myself and then transition to the HD. The first wtg pass was nick free. I rinsed and re-lathered and picked it up for the across the grain pass and much to my surprise it was nick free as well.

It was on the third pass, against that grain that I finally drew blood. A slight cut and I decided to finish with the Slant. I just couldn't put it down.

It was a great shave. Very close. Definately BBS. My wife made me update my last will and testament for nothing.

Tomorrow I will try it again with a FEATHER! Gotta love life on the "edge"!

Merry Christmas to all!

Rick

I've been using the HD and have yet to finish a shave without at least one or two tiny weepers. When my technique improves a bit more I'd like to eventually purchase a slant. Good to hear that you had a good shave with it! Keep posting.

Tomorrow I will try it again with a FEATHER! Gotta love life on the "edge"!

Merry Christmas to all!

Rick

Rick,
Don't do that.

Get accustomed to the razor with "sane" blades first.... taking a slant/feather combo lightly will get you torn up big time my friend. I honestly cannot think or a more aggressive combination possible with a DE.

You've been warned :a46:

I've got about 5 or 6 razors that I rotate using weekly. The slant is different then any other razors so rotating doesn't work very well with it. It's a razor that I believe you need to master it and use all the time or else leave it alone. Since I like shaving with a variety of razor the slant will probably just sit.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My very first DE shave was with a Feather. I figured, why should I use anything less than the sharpest blade available? Got a beautiful, nick free shave, to boot. Trouble is, I couldn't duplicate it, and ripped myself up pretty bad for the next many shaves.

In retrospect, I would have been a lot better off developing at least a modicum of technique before I bit off more than I could chew. The slant is great, and so are the Feathers; together they make for a mighty combo. But first, you may want to let your face acclimate to your new hobby a bit. You'll probably wind up doing this for a very long time, so what's the rush?

Rick,
Don't do that.

Get accustomed to the razor with "sane" blades first.... taking a slant/feather combo lightly will get you torn up big time my friend. I honestly cannot think or a more aggressive combination possible with a DE.

You've been warned :a46:

I want to add my vote here. I frankly like the slant and Feathers for a single pass shave. I really intensely dislike the second pass with the slant and Feather. So if you insist on proceeding with a Feather/slant combo so early on into using the slant--my recommendation is one pass with the grain and stop or at least be super duper carful.

I want to add my vote here.

Me three.

Don't rush it Rick. The Merkur Slant is an aggressive razor and you should master the right pressure, grip, and angle with a safer blade in this razor before trying a Feather. :eek:

Interestingly, I recently acquired a few non-Merkur Slants from Tony Miller and the level of aggressiveness we have come to know from the Merkur Slant is not common across this category. I am working my way through a week with each and hope to post a review sometime in January.

Cheers,

I don't jump out of airplanes anymore so this might be the substitute...

I do have other blades that I got from a "Sampler Pack". Isreali, Merkurs, Swedish Gillettes and even a couple of Wally World Personnas. Is there a better choice for a next blade other than a Feather?

I still have it loaded with the one shave Derby and will probably leave it in for another shave or two.

I'm going in to shave now. If I don't log on again within 24 hours please call the Coast Guard!:eek:

Three passes just like yesterday. One tiny nick. But it just wasn't as smooth as I thought it should be...

So with trembling hands I replaced the Derby with a FEATHER... and proceeded to lather up for a fourth pass!

I have to admit I did add another few drops of pre shave oil before I lathered and then I went to work.

I ended up with one additional nick but I will attribute that to the trembling hands as much as the Feather.

Tomorrow, if I have to shave, it will be with a Feather loaded Slant!:thumbup1:

Thanks for all the advice! I definately went ahead forewarned and with caution!

Happy New Year to all!

Rick

Top Bottom