What's new

First Shave with a Shavette

So, Sunday just gone was my first shave with a shavette. Not a bad experience but i don't see how i could do a 2/3 pass with it YMMV though. The video is up and any advice ect would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations!

The learning curve on shavettes is steep and unforgiving I hear. Way to tackle it! Do you shave with SRs too?

Congratulations!

The learning curve on shavettes is steep and unforgiving I hear. Way to tackle it! Do you shave with SRs too?

I don't currently own a SR; i use DEs almost exclusively. I have wondered about a SR but stopping it has always put me off so i thought id try a Shavette to see if it bridged the gap but im no sold at the moment.

Steep learning curve. I was several years into DE shaving when I tied the feather AC. easily 90 shaves to get to “ok” territory. Try just wtg for a bit first. And i thought i knew what light pressure meant. I did not.

Yet now the feather shavette is my go to for several days growth or if I want a super close shave. Still not a daily driver as every time I rush I regret it. But a super enjoyable part of my routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been doing this for a couple weeks. I have a shave journal going, you will see the progression happen quickly.
Here's some tips
1. Work on your non dominant hand. You hand should never be between you and the handle.
2. Very short strokes at first my shavette got me at least once a shave.
3. I took the blade out of it and practice my passes that way. First WTG, XTG, and then ATG.

I didn't do my first 3 pass shave for almost a week. I read about different grips and watched videos on 3 pass shave. The first time it took me about 45 minutes just to shave. Now from the time my brush hits the water to my aftershave goes on is about 30 minutes total. A straight razor is easier than a shavette.

I have got both a Dovo Shavette and a Japanese Kamosri both new in box with new blades. I really want to learn to use the Japanese razor and get really good, and confident with using this style of shaving. Decided to put a Feather ProGuard in my Japanese straight. I love the safety wire the Japanese wrap around the edge of that blade to keep it off of your skin. I wish they wouldn't call it a "Shavette'. Sounds like a ladies razor.

Just my 2c, love my Feather and Kai shavettes!
Best loaded with Feather Proguard blade.
Always sharp, smooth, easily handled.
Usually one pass shave for even two or three days growth.
But, experiment and determine for yourself!

DR Harris windsor rudy vey feather october 17 2017.jpg

Just my 2c, love my Feather and Kai shavettes!
Best loaded with Feather Proguard blade.
Always sharp, smooth, easily handled.
Usually one pass shave for even two or three days growth.
But, experiment and determine for yourself!

View attachment 858964
Awesome. That is my goal. Do you have experience using the Japanese Kamasoi? Can you point me to some video that may be helpful to better learn this technique.

Awesome. That is my goal. Do you have experience using the Japanese Kamasoi? Can you point me to some video that may be helpful to better learn this technique.

sorry, i've not used a kami razor. however, using the folding razor in my hands, it's often straight out.
there are probably some cool youtube videos, do a search.

kai excelia matador myrsol jan 28 2014.jpg

Today, I just received my Dovo Shavette. I had shaved last night so I had very little stubble, but I wanted to try out my new Shavette. I never used a SR or a disposable straight before so I was just a tad tentative. I did only one pass. I surprised my self that I was able to do both sides of my face, my neck, upper lip and chin. I even used my non-dominant hand to do my left side. I only got a small nick under my chin that was so small that it did not need alum and you do not see it. Now, was it a great shave, no. It was ok. I used my Rockwell 6C to clean it up. I am quite encouraged that my shave with my shavette went better than expected.

I've been on a shavette kick lately after having owned a Weck Sextoblade for a few years and a CJB for a couple.
I recently added the Holy Black barber razor (cool-looking) and a stainless steel Medical Corps Weck.

With practice, I've gotten better. If I really want to avoid cuts, I use the Wecks with guard, but the incidence has gotten lower.

I probably get the best results with the CJB and a ProGuard blade.
Going ATG is where I get into trouble sometimes, but I want to get as close as I can...so I do it anyway.

Use blades that you consider less sharp (if you use one that takes DE blade halves). I used a shavette once and wrecked my face so bad that people thought I got attacked by my girl. I went back to my DEs after that.

Top Bottom