What's new

First shave with a SE (ATT SE1): My feedback

Went in excited but without specific expecations. My shave involved using the Proraso Pre-shave and Shaving cream. Shaved right after the shower. This is normally my process with the DE so nothing different. The blade I used was the Feather AC Pro.

The SE1 delivered. It was good. Really good infact.

I would not say it was baby butt smooth but I don't expect that unless I go ATG. Went WTG, 2 x XTG. Got some minor nicks but I had them last time with the DE too so nothing unusual there. The area of the face that really surprised me with the smoothness was the lip area. I don't think I have ever had that good of a smooth shave with a DE in that area. I was really unsure about the Kronos handle that I had because it was considerably heavier than what I am used to but it seemed to help me to just led the razor do the job instead of trying to pull and/or apply pressure.

I am most likely going to get a ATT SE2 base plate in the next week or so and am curious how that goes.

The ATT SE1 is a really good razor for me; smooth, efficient, just the right amount of blade feel and highly manoeuvrable. It's a very close run thing between it and the Blackland Vector which is my go-to these days. I'm thinking about adding a Colonial General V2 into the mix, but can't quite decide whether there will be enough difference between it and the SE1 to justify the cost.

The SE1 provides a great shave with good blade feel and the SE2 takes it to a whole another level. A lot of blade feel, super efficient, Smooth results, but the key on the SE 2 is light blade pressure and having the correct angle or things can turn south quickly. Keep us posted on how things continue. Congratulations on the beautiful acquisition.

The SE1 provides a great shave with good blade feel and the SE2 takes it to a whole another level. A lot of blade feel, super efficient, Smooth results, but the key on the SE 2 is light blade pressure and having the correct angle or things can turn south quickly. Keep us posted on how things continue. Congratulations on the beautiful acquisition.

Thanks.

To me the best part of the SE1 has been that I do not have much of a stubble if any at all 12+ hours after shaving. That was an issue with the previous razor I had. Maybe it was just the blades themselves or maybe even my technique, not sure but I used a new Feather blade on the DE every shave or at most used a blade for two shaves. I think the blades on the SE last longer so maybe 2-3 shaves per blade? Does that sound about right?

I am definitely excited about a SE2 plate, though I am nervous at the same time given that it is supposed to be very aggressive. If I can get even a smoother shave than what I got with the SE1, without any big negatives. I will certainly be thrilled. Since I normally shave once a week or at most twice a week, I could simply use SE1 as the razor for the shorter duration and the SE2 for the once-a-week shaves.

I use the Feather Pro in the SE1 & SE2 and easily get 7-8 quality shaves out of each blade. I do shave daily, so I have minimal growth on each shave. I would definitely agree with you that after 12+ hours the post shave feel and look is outstanding.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The SE 2 appears to be a much different animal.

These are Jim's, @Chan Eil Whiskers, SE 1 and SE 2 heads.

SE 1 left. SE 2 right. Showing blade gap and blade exposure of each.

SE1.jpg SE2.jpg

I have the SE1 aluminum version. It's an excellent razor--the aluminum is actually heavy enough for me. Personally, I've learned that my skin likes milder razors and I can get BBS with the SE1. But for those who like a lot of blade feel in an aggressive razor, I'm sure the SE2 does a fantastic job.

I just bought all 3: Colonial General V2 SS, ATT SE1, and just arrived Blackland Vector.

Gonna experiment with them a few weeks:

But I'm keeping all 3!!!

Before I ordered my SE1 I was looking at the Blackland Sabre and the General V2 as well. Since the Sabre was not available with the 0.9 MM plate, that was out and I just liked the looks of the ATT SE1 over the General. The Vector does look super nice though, just like any of their other razors to be honest.

I am curious to know how exactly a GEM razor/blade differs from what goes in the Blackland Vector and the ATT SE1. May just buy the Sabre at some point this year when the 0.9 MM plate is available. When I look online for SE blades most places refer to the AC style ones than the GEM ones. Is this just a supply/demand thing?

Very nice. Three great razors to have in the rotation. Enjoy

I seriously don't know about this. Ha ha. I am loyal to a fault and also a creature of habit. Makes it hard for me to do any rotation at any point in time with any set of razors I have. In the beginning I would probably experiment and mess around with them all but once a favorite is established, I would stick to that and the others would just sit on the shelf. Do the same with all the drivers/putters I have as well (4 drivers and 6 putters).

My wife always jokes (kind of) about my hobbies. Why can't I have any cheap ones .. ;)

Golf equipment (for a while now).
Fountain pens (since last year).
Razors (latest).

Do the same with all the drivers/putters I have as well (4 drivers and 6 putters).

But there is always that magic Driver or Putter that will help you hit the ball perfectly every time. I don't blame you for continuing to chase that dream! 😂 I'm not unlike you on this, but I think I've settled on a couple drivers I really like and a Putter that visually works for me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Before I ordered my SE1 I was looking at the Blackland Sabre and the General V2 as well. Since the Sabre was not available with the 0.9 MM plate, that was out and I just liked the looks of the ATT SE1 over the General. The Vector does look super nice though, just like any of their other razors to be honest.

I am curious to know how exactly a GEM razor/blade differs from what goes in the Blackland Vector and the ATT SE1. May just buy the Sabre at some point this year when the 0.9 MM plate is available. When I look online for SE blades most places refer to the AC style ones than the GEM ones. Is this just a supply/demand thing?

AC and GEM blades are two completely different designs.

AC
Feather-Artist-Club-Professional-Replacement-Blades-20-Pack-3.jpg

GEM
0002493_62-0161-gem-carbon-steel-extra-sharp-single-edge-blade_300.jpeg

The design of the razors for each are much different.

GEM blades are, as far as I know, .009" thick. AC blades can be as much as .013" thick, or thicker.

Below, I believe, are the Feather series of AC blades.

artist club blade specifications.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Went in excited but without specific expecations. My shave involved using the Proraso Pre-shave and Shaving cream. Shaved right after the shower. This is normally my process with the DE so nothing different. The blade I used was the Feather AC Pro.

I would not say it was baby butt smooth but I don't expect that unless I go ATG. Went WTG, 2 x XTG. Got some minor nicks but I had them last time with the DE too so nothing unusual there. The area of the face that really surprised me with the smoothness was the lip area. I don't think I have ever had that good of a smooth shave with a DE in that area. I was really unsure about the Kronos handle that I had because it was considerably heavier than what I am used to but it seemed to help me to just led the razor do the job instead of trying to pull and/or apply pressure.

I am most likely going to get a ATT SE2 base plate in the next week or so and am curious how that goes.
Great report! :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

(...)

Great! I really like the Kronos handle. Simple, excellent knurling, right length and weight for me. My favourite handle of any.

I have been using a ProGuard blade lately, after having some struggles with Feather Pro and Pro Super. I tried the Prolines, too, but found them to be transcendently sharp. While sharp is a good thing, this was a little too much for this flower child. I'm hoping to gather up a few AC razors and try out some different blades. I'd like to see if I can find a good setup for me.

As for the SE2, you gotta try it. It IS a whole 'nother level of razor. I have one, but I keep thinking about finding a new home for it.

O.H.

Great! I really like the Kronos handle. Simple, excellent knurling, right length and weight for me. My favourite handle of any.

I have been using a ProGuard blade lately, after having some struggles with Feather Pro and Pro Super. I tried the Prolines, too, but found them to be transcendently sharp. While sharp is a good thing, this was a little too much for this flower child. I'm hoping to gather up a few AC razors and try out some different blades. I'd like to see if I can find a good setup for me.

As for the SE2, you gotta try it. It IS a whole 'nother level of razor. I have one, but I keep thinking about finding a new home for it.

O.H.

I went ahead and ordered the SE2 plate today. I am really curious how different it is.

Top Bottom