What's new

First shave with a Rockwell S6

Found a good deal on this used Rockwell S6. Got it in the original box. First shave I started on plate4 using proraso cream. Did my usual
2 passes with a touchup around the jawline and neck. The first thing I noticed was how smooth it shaved and after finishing the shave
was pretty close to results I get with my Gillette New De Luxe. Next shave I'll try plate 5.

The 6S is a very smooth razor. You'll enjoy it.

You might experiment with different blades to see which pairs best for you. For me, Polsilvers, Nacets and Perma-Sharp blades work really well.

I recently tried one and was disappointed with blade alignment issues my copy had with certain blades. Shaves well enough on plate 3/4 if centering the blade, granted the head is too bulky for my subjective comfort. Got too many nicks trying plate 5/6.

Returned and switched to a Razorock GC 84 with Barberpole handle (which should be more aggressive than plate 4 on Rockwell) and haven't looked back.. Finally happy coming from previous Muhle R89 variants. The heavy handle with low profile head does wonders for me... Even have less irritation overall. This razor was honestly made for me lol

Now I'm questioning If I should grab a Razorock LUPO 72 or 95... 😂

Last edited:
I recently tried one and was disappointed with blade alignment issues my copy had with certain blades. Shaves well enough on plate 3/4 if centering the blade, granted the head is too bulky for my subjective comfort. Got too many nicks trying plate 5/6.

Returned and switched to a Razorock GC 84 with Barberpole handle (which should be more aggressive than plate 4 on Rockwell) and haven't looked back.. Finally happy coming from previous Muhle R89 variants. The heavy handle with low profile head does wonders for me... Even have less irritation overall. This razor was honestly made for me lol

The Gamechanger .84 was my favorite razor until i got my Lupo.95.😉

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

I had a similar experience when I first purchased my 6S, but after taking some pictures of the problem and sending them to Rockwell explaining the issue, they sent me three new baseplates free of charge.
Excellent customer service, and the problem was solved.

However, my 6S and 6C razors don't get much use anymore, as I like a few other razors that I enjoy more. I do still like the Rockwell razors and use them once in a while.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
For some people who want to try further after entering the DE world for a while, 6S is a very good guiding tool.
It not only has a comfortable shaving quality, but also helps users clarify their own suitable shaving parameters, which can be used as a reference for future razor selection.

What I don't like a little bit is that 6S uses non-complete threads in order to reduce the subsequent processing of MIM.
The control group "Feather As-d2" used the MIM process earlier and was a razor with complete threads.

Of course the 6s is still in my rotation and I just happen to be back on it these days.
It's just that I find that my appetite is getting higher and higher. I used R2~R4 before, but now I start directly from R5.

I had a similar experience when I first purchased my 6S, but after taking some pictures of the problem and sending them to Rockwell explaining the issue, they sent me three new baseplates free of charge.
Excellent customer service, and the problem was solved.

However, my 6S and 6C razors don't get much use anymore, as I like a few other razors that I enjoy more. I do still like the Rockwell razors and use them once in a while.

Not sure what the exact issue was.. Seemed to be a combination of of blade/top/bottom plate. Certain blades would line up fine if the tolerances were higher, but cheaper stuff like Indian Gillettes would always fluctuate with left or right bias.. This also happened on a 6C so not exactly isolated to the 6S. Doesnt Happen on any of my R89s or GC84.

But yeah, the head was overall too bulky for me and shave angle might have been off from how I naturally hold it. CS did come through and refund me on return so Bravo to them.

The Gamechanger .84 was my favorite razor until i got my Lupo.95.😉

The 72 seems redundant (according to the Italian barber chart), but I heard its a completely different beast. 95 is an obvious efficiency upgrade, but I'm coming all the way from a R89 😂

Should I try it?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The 72 seems redundant (according to the Italian barber chart), but I heard its a completely different beast. 95 is an obvious efficiency upgrade, but I'm coming all the way from a R89 😂

Should I try it?
I have come all the way from merkur 42c (efficiency like R89) and Razorock Gamechanger 84, and have used extremely mild AS-D2 and PILS.

In fact I think the Razorock Lupo95 is really comfortable despite being efficient and amazingly even smoother than the 72. Many people at the B&B have similar feelings.

Of course, after all, Lupo95 has a slightly larger gap, so I will still be a little more cautious when passing through skin blemishes.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The only razor I felt I should never have bothered with.
After dozens of razors I can only repeat this sentiment, sorry. It was released in a time where a stainless steel razor was new and rare. It also gives a good shave. Low quality and frequent quality issues, a low effort finish... but it is still popular in times of CNC engineered razors with way better finish that cost even less. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom