What's new

First shave with a Merkur Progress

I have way more razors than I need, but cannot stop buying them to try them all :tongue_sm

My only experience with Merkur is with their 1904 safety bar razor. It ranks right there with my Gillette Slim and EJ89L for best shavers. I actually like it better than the EJ do to its shorter handle and heftier weight.

Well one night last week I was needing to buy a nice travel case for my razor and decided to either get a future or progress to make the shipping charge worthwhile (funny how I rationalize buying a new uneeded razor :laugh:)

I went with a Progress this time and just recieved it in today. Fit and finish was very good. I loaded it with my benchmark Dorco 301 blade to give it a go. I set it at #2 setting this shave due to some recommendations here on another thread. I lathered up with a Tabac puck in my OS mug using my Antique Fuller black and butterscotch handle with TGN Super knot.

I did a WTG then rinsed and relathered to continue with a ATG and touch up for final finishing with a splash of Clubman. WTG went perfect as did ATG with a small weeper. I have been using my 1970 black handled Superspeed for the last three months so I have to get used to the Merkur angle. It is noticably different.

The results were great and was very similar to my Merkur 1904 at this #2 setting. It felt about as aggressive as my Slim set on #4.

You can rant about some QC or finish issues with some Merkur products, but one thing you have to hand them is their great shaving abilities. They are, IMO so far, the best shavers out there in general.

I really look forward to trying a Future next month.

Shave-on :thumbup:

I just got my Progress last week and I can't put it down. You are correct that it doesn't have the refined look and the chrome is not as nice as EJ, but it is a simple design and functions very well. I don't regret buying this razor.

I owned and used a Mergress for well over 2 years, and enjoyed the hell out of that thing. My only advice, That razor really excels with a feather blade and opening her up to the 4.5-5 area. Man that thing shaved like a whole other razor once I learned that set up! Seriously, give it a try!! :thumbup1:

Used it for the second time this morning. I set it at 2.5 this time and got another great shave. It was just a wee bit more agressive than the last time. I'll try it set to 3 tomorrow morning. I'm really liking this razor.

Top Bottom