What's new

First shave with a Karve Open-comb plate

A bit of context: The Karve razor is my favorite razor by far. I've owned tens of vintages and sold them all when I bought the Karve. It's perfect for me. I use it 90% of the time. I also use a Game Changer .84 and a Wunderbar. Both are great, just not Karve-great.
I own safety bar (SB) plates B, C, D and E (still trying to sell my unused E plate in the BST by the way), the C plate seeing most of the action, B being used when I want a milder shave for whatever reason and D for more than 3-days growth. I now also own plates B and C in open comb (OC).

There are no suprises really. Karve's description from their website is pretty spot on.

I tried plate B (OC) yesterday night. The OC plates are indeed more efficient than their SB counterparts. Karve says that they are 1 step up from SB (meaning an OC B is approximately the same efficience as a SB C plate). In my case, I'd say it's actually a bit more than that even. The OC B plate was (after 1 shave...) a bit more efficient than the SB C plate but clearly not as efficient as a SB D plate so it's somewhere in between C and D.

There's more blade feel, as expected. The "fingers" of the comb are comfortable, you do feel them a bit more than, for example, I did with a Gillette NEW.

I can't say, for now, if I'll end-up using the OC more than the SB (blade feel being the factor that, while still being very comfortable in this case, isn't something I always want...usually) but they are very good and I'm quite satisfied. For me, they are quite worth it.

There you go.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I have an OC C plate in the mail to go with my SB C & D, which I enjoy using. I look forward to the open comb.

I have the Karve with the C plate on a Charcoal "vertigo" handle and the complete Karve razor on a 3.5" handle with the D plate. Love them both.

Great write-up!! Glad you are enjoying the razor!! :a14::a14::a14::a14:

You bet I am!

Thanks for the report. I have an OC C plate in the mail to go with my SB C & D, which I enjoy using. I look forward to the open comb.

I’m sure you’ll like it. They are very nice.

I have the Karve with the C plate on a Charcoal "vertigo" handle and the complete Karve razor on a 3.5" handle with the D plate. Love them both.

Great razor indeed!

I love the shave I get with the SB B. Based on Chris's description, I ordered the OC A, and have used it for a week or so. I find it more efficient than the SB B, and decided to order the OC B as well. If it is as great feeling as its SB counterpart, but as efficient as the SB C, I will be one happy camper! The Karve is giving me the best shaves ever, and never with razor burn. Well, I should amend that last statement. Once I figured out which plates my face and my shave habits preferred, there has been no burn.

I also added the 3.25" handle. I think I like the 3" better. But it could be that for almost a year I have used the shorter handle it it feels more righter to me!

- Karve Diem, M. BOSC

I've now had a few shaves with my Karve OC E plate. I just have the plate - using a Yintal Bronze top cap. I've been swapping handles around and settled on the Wolfman Guerrilla handle. Nice and wide in the hand and just 63g. Total weight is 101g. I prefer not to go over 100g in a razor, but this just squeezes in.

It's as efficient as I want it - removes most of the stubble in the first pass. I then do 4 cleanups - L and R cheeks and L and R neck. Re-lathering with sloppy lather as needed, and using a GSB. No irritation and a very smooth face afterwards. The feel is solid, decent audio feedback, good rigidity ATG.

I'm very pleased. This gives similar performance to the R41 and Timeless Bronze OC .78, which I use with titanium handles. Three very efficient and satisfying razors. I could - and do - use any of the three for a good shave.

On the shelf these days - Gillette Slim, Fatip Grande, Old Types, even my MMOC, MMCP and 1912 though those three are keepers.

I used the OC D plate for a while and it really was great. A little tugging against the grain on my neck, but most likely due to my technique than the razor.

I acquired razors that I reach for more often so I shipped the Karve off to a member here. Truly a great razor for the price, and one of the best looking!

I used the OC B yesterday with a Gillette Green blade on its fourth use for as close of a shave as I've ever had. I think when (if) the ss plates come out I'll step up to an OC C or D.

I've now had a few shaves with my Karve OC E plate. I just have the plate - using a Yintal Bronze top cap. I've been swapping handles around and settled on the Wolfman Guerrilla handle. Nice and wide in the hand and just 63g. Total weight is 101g. I prefer not to go over 100g in a razor, but this just squeezes in.

It's as efficient as I want it - removes most of the stubble in the first pass. I then do 4 cleanups - L and R cheeks and L and R neck. Re-lathering with sloppy lather as needed, and using a GSB. No irritation and a very smooth face afterwards. The feel is solid, decent audio feedback, good rigidity ATG.

I'm very pleased. This gives similar performance to the R41 and Timeless Bronze OC .78, which I use with titanium handles. Three very efficient and satisfying razors. I could - and do - use any of the three for a good shave.

On the shelf these days - Gillette Slim, Fatip Grande, Old Types, even my MMOC, MMCP and 1912 though those three are keepers.

Glad you like it! I’m also a Karve OC fan, though I use the F plate. The efficiency-to-smoothness ratio is just where I want it, about 9:9.

I wasn’t a fan of my Karve and almost put it on the BST, but then I got the open comb F and everything changed. I love it now! So much so, I’m pining after the stainless.

Top Bottom