What's new

First Shave with a GEM

I have a couple of GEM’s in my possession, a 1912 and a push button Micromatic. I broke down and purchased some GEM Stainless blades from WCS. I loaded one in the 1912 and tried it out. I was impressed. Other than it being a bit tricky to get under the nose, it performed well. I am no stranger to single edge razors, I own three Schick Injectors and learned to shave with one many years ago, but shaving with the GEM, loaded with a sharper, stainless, box cutter blade was interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's a weird sensation.....feel sharper to me. but I also know the razor is driving a stouter blade with authority. either way I like them very much.

the amazing thing is the varying feel between all the different models

camo

Those are great razors. GEM instructions suggest you shave XTG under the nose. It is fairly easy to do.

I love GEMS's too. Especially the 1912 Damaskeene. However it is clunky under the nose. So, my absolute favorite GEM style razor, (in fact its my favorite razor I have ever used), is the Streamline. And its VERY easy under the nose - just one of the great things about this amazing instrument.

OP - welcome the amazing world of GEM razors. The only DE razor I would come close to ranking as good, is the Gillette Aristocrat #21.

^
I agree, Zoost. For all my love of DE razors, I find classic SE designs to be better. One of my top shavers, maybe the best for everyday use isn't particularly collectible or best looking. It's a simple Featherweight. It is gentle and shaves so well... and one can find a NOS one in box for around $20-30 easily. I actually bought one that looked brand new (but no box) in an antique shop near my house for $8. It didn't even need much cleaning, that's how good it was.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
^
I agree, Zoost. For all my love of DE razors, I find classic SE designs to be better. One of my top shavers, maybe the best for everyday use isn't particularly collectible or best looking. It's a simple Featherweight. It is gentle and shaves so well... and one can find a NOS one in box for around $20-30 easily. I actually bought one that looked brand new (but no box) in an antique shop near my house for $8. It didn't even need much cleaning, that's how good it was.

I love my Featherweight Deluxe! Simply outstanding razor.

YMMV :)

It’s a matter of personal preference, Chuck. They are both amazing. You either get both, or ask yourself which blades you like better.

I'm thinking about picking up a GEM vs an Injector. What say ye?

Well, I am fond if Injectors, I have my Father’s Schick, J1, a J3 “Golden 500” and an L1, which is the razor I learned to shave with. I also have several vintage Gillette DE’s and a Schick Krona. I have had the GEMs for a long time and never shaved with them.

I like them. They are smooth and efficient. They are different than the Injectors and the DEs. I would pick up a Schick J model and a GEM both. They are still fairly decently priced compared to vintage Gillettes and I find that they both can give a nearly BBS with very little effort.

Different horse for different courses, as they say. I have opted for the AC/injector route because I love the feeling of driving a sports car around my face; sleek, slimmer head is awesome for my biggest trouble area--mustache, especially right below my nose. I can't even get myself to use DE razors these days, I am so in love w/ my Vector and type I-2 HydroMagic.

It’s a matter of personal preference, Chuck. They are both amazing. You either get both, or ask yourself which blades you like better.
Thanks. I guess the right course of action is to get both. I've been shaving with DEs, and occasionally str8s, for 7 years, and they successfully solved my acne and ingrown hair issues caused by cartridges. That said, after buying 15+ DEs and 3 SRs, I'm still on a quest for the perfect razor.

Well, I am fond if Injectors, I have my Father’s Schick, J1, a J3 “Golden 500” and an L1, which is the razor I learned to shave with. I also have several vintage Gillette DE’s and a Schick Krona. I have had the GEMs for a long time and never shaved with them.

I like them. They are smooth and efficient. They are different than the Injectors and the DEs. I would pick up a Schick J model and a GEM both. They are still fairly decently priced compared to vintage Gillettes and I find that they both can give a nearly BBS with very little effort.

Thanks. Yes, I've seen them for less than old Gillettes - especially the GEMs, which appear to be dirt cheap for mint condition examples. I've seen many old injectors for sale at reasonable prices, but most are in rougher condition with deteriorated plating.

What about blade choices and availability?

Different horse for different courses, as they say. I have opted for the AC/injector route because I love the feeling of driving a sports car around my face; sleek, slimmer head is awesome for my biggest trouble area--mustache, especially right below my nose. I can't even get myself to use DE razors these days, I am so in love w/ my Vector and type I-2 HydroMagic.
Food for thought for me. My densest beard growth is the mustache and goatee area, which also is as tough as steel wool.

Thanks. Yes, I've seen them for less than old Gillettes - especially the GEMs, which appear to be dirt cheap for mint condition examples. I've seen many old injectors for sale at reasonable prices, but most are in rougher condition with deteriorated plating.

What about blade choices and availability?

Basically I stick with Schick Injector blades from Amazon. They last about twice as long per blade as my go to Astra SP blades. (About two weeks for the Schick blades)

I just bought a 10 pack of the GEM Stainless blades from WCS. I am two shaves in, I’ll let you know. As always, YMMV.

For Injectors, you basically want yellow package Schick blades made in China, AKA "Chick" blades. They are excellent and widely available.

images.jpg

For GEM style razors, you can buy Personna GEM coated blades. They cost around $25 for 100.

Gem-Blades-003_grande.jpg

Both kinds of blades will last longer than DE blades and - while this is subjective - they are also better overall IMO.

Basically I stick with Schick Injector blades from Amazon. They last about twice as long per blade as my go to Astra SP blades. (About two weeks for the Schick blades)

I just bought a 10 pack of the GEM Stainless blades from WCS. I am two shaves in, I’ll let you know. As always, YMMV.

Thanks!

Top Bottom