What's new

First Shave with a gem 1912

CONGRATULATIONS! :a14::a14::a14:
Yes welcome to the forum from another newbie.
It is amazing what you can learn on here.
Everyone seems to be genuinely happy to help even if the question has been ask a hundred times before.
I use the search function here and on google every day.
I have read that the fat handle shaves the same as the rest of the 1912's style razors.
Makes since, as the head is the same with the only difference being the handle.
Of which I have heard some like it and some don't.
Just like everything, people are going to have different opinions.
Ron

This is my set up for my Gem 1912.
I had to buy a razor from China and wait for it to get here though.
It was worth the wait.
The handle is almost 4.5 inches long and skinny but easy to grip.

img_2965.jpg

img_2965.jpg

Attachments

• img_2966.jpg
    img_2966.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 3
Thanks
The handle is a normal handle that is a 10/32 screw pattern.
The 1912 had a much smaller Whitworth British thread size.
I bought a tap and matching drill set from home depot and now the head matches the handle.
I did it because I did not like the handle it came with and it is not a collectable.
I do have another Gem 1912 that is in the original wooden box and silver blade holder in just as nice shape.
The handles interchange which means it too is a Whitworth tread.
The only difference I can tell is one has Gem written on the back of the head and the other one has nothing.
I figure the one with Gem on the back is the older one but I don't know for sure.
Maybe some one on the forum will know.
I used a set screw that is a 10/32 to put it all together.
It balances quit well with the wooden handle.
It is a easy 2 pass and clean up with a Feather FHS-10 SS blade.
I have not tried it with any other blades yet.

Thanks
The handle is a normal handle that is a 10/32 screw pattern.
The 1912 had a much smaller Whitworth British thread size.
I bought a tap and matching drill set from home depot and now the head matches the handle.
I did it because I did not like the handle it came with and it is not a collectable.
I do have another Gem 1912 that is in the original wooden box and silver blade holder in just as nice shape.
The handles interchange which means it too is a Whitworth tread.
The only difference I can tell is one has Gem written on the back of the head and the other one has nothing.
I figure the one with Gem on the back is the older one but I don't know for sure.
Maybe some one on the forum will know.
I used a set screw that is a 10/32 to put it all together.
It balances quit well with the wooden handle.
It is a easy 2 pass and clean up with a Feather FHS-10 SS blade.
I have not tried it with any other blades yet.

Do you hold the razor with both hands? Or shave your legs?

Plenty of 1912's, in fact most of them, have standard threads, no need to ruin an early one.

I too recently opened my account with the 1912 after being gifted one to try. I always thought they looked unwieldy but as it turns out apart from right under the schnozzle it's OK. I do not however enjoy the Personna Gem blades, or at least my face doesn't. I don't get on with any Personna including the Schick blades. They really irritate my face and neck so the experience was somewhat spoiled for me. I'll have to track down the Treet blades and see what difference they make.

Do you hold the razor with both hands? Or shave your legs?

Plenty of 1912's, in fact most of them, have standard threads, no need to ruin an early one.

I use one hand and move my fingers up and down as needed.
I don't shave my legs any more in fact the last time was high school football try outs and only because the rest of the guys were.
That was 1969.

I am on a very fixed budget so I used what I had.
There are plenty of both out there from what people say.
Just the luck of the draw that I ended up with two that have the Whitworth thread on them.

You forgot about using it as a garden tool!

No can do.
I am not good in the gardening department. :001_tt2:

You use a FHS in it? You mean you have put a spine on the Feather?

Yes I use the FHS SS blade and really like it so far.
I don't use a spine on it and have no trouble with it.
Am I suppose to put a spine on it?
I haven't tried a spine on any of my blades and I want to end up with a razor that I don't have to use a spine on.
I have Gem blades in a plastic container but I haven't open it yet.
Right now I am using my Valet VC-1 with a Kai Best blade that I got from the Feather- man to see how many shaves I can get out of it.
I am looking for at least 10 shaves with stropping and maybe more.

I use one hand and move my fingers up and down as needed.
I don't shave my legs any more in fact the last time was high school football try outs and only because the rest of the guys were.
That was 1969.

I am on a very fixed budget so I used what I had.
There are plenty of both out there from what people say.
Just the luck of the draw that I ended up with two that have the Whitworth thread on them.

No can do.
I am not good in the gardening department. :001_tt2:

:a14: :thumbsup:

1912 history, short version:

1911: Gem de Luxe, the first 1912 style razor - open comb, says "PAT" on back, but clearly a 1912.

1912: Gem Damaskeene, open comb version. Damaskeenes are simply 1912's with "Use only with Gem Damskeene blades" on the inside of the base.

1916-1919: Majority of Gem Damaskeenes produced. These say "Gem Cutlery Co." on the back.

1919: Gem acquired by American Safety Razor (maker of Ever-Ready razors). Later Damaskeenes say "Gem Safety Razor Corp" on the back.

1921-1929: The Brooklyn Gem 1912's - these say "Brooklyn, New York" on the inside of the base plate. Sold in a variety of packages with several different handles. A squat head version was introduced circa 1925 for use in slim cigarette case style sets.

1930: ASR introduces the Gem Micromatics and re-introduces the 1912 under the Ever-Ready brand as the Improved Ever-Ready Razor.

1933: ASR shifts all production of Ever-Ready branded razors to their British plant, where 1912's continue to be made for several more years.

1940's: ASR re-introduces the 1912 once again as the "Gem Junior" with a fat plastic handle as well as a metal handle.

There are a lot more details, of course, but that is the basic timeline.

I did this entirely off the top of my head so there may be errors.

--Bob

Where do the Star 1912's fit into this?

Top Bottom