What's new

First Shave with a gem 1912

Purchased a Gem 1912 off eBay last week and received it today. While it was on its way i went out and bought some Noxzema sensitive (Red can), Noxzema classic cold cream for a pre shave layer and some Gem blades. I wanted to try this brushless and on a budget. I've never used a pre shave and was never fond of oil. I have read some good things about using Noxzema as a pre shave and I do love the smell so why not? I've never used an SE and was nervous since the Gem is intimidating. This passed once I started shaving. This combo gave me the most comfortable shave I've ever had. I finished up with some aqua velva musk and had zero sting from it. I've never experienced that before. The Noxzema cleansing cream felt great on my skin, especially on my second pass. The jury is still out on the shave cream but the combo worked good. Just not sure if it was more the pre shave than the shave cream. My next step is trying a Maggards MR1 with a V3 head to see the comparisons between an SE and a DE. The biggest thing I noticed with the GEM was how solid the razor and blade felt while cutting. After I compare razors I'll throw in a brush and a better cream. For now, this was just an experiment on tool vs pre shave routine.

Congrats!

GEM blades are awesome, there's a bunch of GEM razors to suit everyone's need.

If wielded properly, all GEM razors feel mild with different levels of efficiency.

Thanks! It's definitely mild but it's precise and still sharp. It was comfortable and I needed that after my last shave with a bic sensitive.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
I believe it's just considered a 1912 GEM. That's a nice handle!

Some say GEM Jr on the back. I have one that says Star on the back. They're a couple of others, I believe.

Last edited:
Very nice, congrats!

Ever-Ready is the other name you'll find on these types of razors. My 1912 has Ever-Ready on the back. The head looks exactly the same as my GEM Jr. The handle on the Jr. is a bit shorter. Is that what makes it a Jr., anyone??

...and yes, all the GEM/ER (haven't found a Star yet) razors that I've tried are superb. I haven't tried a bad one yet.

I have no idea why they resurrected the "junior" moniker for some of the '40's 1912's, most of them originally came with the fat plastic handle. 1912's came with many handle styles and lengths.

I looked at the Gem jr., micromatic, schick, ever ready and the Gem 1912. I personally really liked the look of the Gen 1912. I did read something about clogging and how other SE were better in that regard.

Yeah, I've seen the ones with the fat plastic handle (for some reason, that never appealed to me, so I've always passed on them), but the one I have, came with the metal, "thread tapper" handle. I don't have a pic of the back of the head, but it says GEM Jr. on it.
IMG_20170430_222441.jpg

Very nice, congrats!

Ever-Ready is the other name you'll find on these types of razors. My 1912 has Ever-Ready on the back. The head looks exactly the same as my GEM Jr. The handle on the Jr. is a bit shorter. Is that what makes it a Jr., anyone??

...and yes, all the GEM/ER (haven't found a Star yet) razors that I've tried are superb. I haven't tried a bad one yet.

Gem, Gem Jr., EverReady, and Star. Each was at one time or another an American Safety Razor Model 1912. (Gem Cutlery before its acquisition by ASR in 1919).

Aside from the handle issue @TobyC mentions, there are some weird variations I've seen too, and I don't understand them. For example, some have a much shorter tang on the back (thanks to Gabe @azwetshaver for pointing that out), meaning less of a lather-catcher look. And some have fewer teeth than others.

I looked at the Gem jr., micromatic, schick, ever ready and the Gem 1912. I personally really liked the look of the Gen 1912. I did read something about clogging and how other SE were better in that regard.

Never heard of a 1912 clogging, I doubt it's possible, unless you shave your dog.

Haha! That explains it. Mine didn't clog so I was confused on reading it but it must have been another model. This was my first dive into it.

Top Bottom