What's new

First shave with a Feather AC

Having recently taken possession of a non folding feather AC SS straight, I had my first shave with it today, I am comfortable with my prep and lather, as I have been using a DE for a couple of months, with good results and improving with every shave.

Today's effort with the feather was about what I expected, I have quite a tough beard, so went with the pro super blades, which I believe are the most aggressive for the AC series, got nice results on my cheeks and neck, even attempting XTG on the cheeks. The problem area is and always has been my chin, I have quite an angular chin with a cleft etc and I ended up with a few nicks and cuts around the chin and the shave was nowhere near smooth around that area.

I don't have any real experience with straights, I have a best quality Dovo, which I used once when it was probably not shave ready (new from factory) I'm waiting on some lapping film as I want to try my hand at honing it with film.

I guess the learning curve on the straights is a lot steeper than the transition from cart to DE, which I found relatively straight forward.

Any tips on tackling the chin area would be appreciated or in fact any tips on the feather razors would be welcomed, I know I've a long way to go, so hope it's just a case of hanging in there and using the styptic for now :)

Has anyone used the pro guard blades? and if so would you recommend them? Thank you guys!

The pro guard blades do help allot. Go very light on the pressure. I also found it easy to practice with the Feather by turning to blade upside down and learning the moves that way, just practice taking the lather off no more pressure then that.

The Guard blades are the Pro blades with with a comb guard installed. They are probably plenty tough and sharp for just about any beard and you may find that using them will be easier. You can still cut yourself, of course. They are much sharper than a normal straight so you may (will) find that practicing with a regular straight will be easier.

I like to use the Guards when I'm camping since I'm not always in the best of environments but still want a nice shave. They seem to work for me. I treat the Pros and Super Pros about the same - easy does it until they mellow out.

Last edited:
I'll echo what gsurko said - easy does it on the pressure! The Feather blades are wicked sharp, let the blade do the work.

Assuming you want to practice by actually shaving with it rather than turning the blade upside down (excellent suggestion though) you might try a less aggressive blade such as the Kai Milds. Given your heavy beard you might want to return to the Feathers after you've got some experience with the razor but the Kai's will give you a good shave without quite so much risk of cutting/nicks while you learn.

The chin is the hardest area to shave since you're constantly having to adjust the angle of the razor. You might also consider finishing the chin with a DE until you get more experience with the Feather.

I made my transition from a safety razor to a conventional straight razor with the help of a Feather AC SS (Kami style handle) I use the Feather pro and pro super blades...I hear the KAI blades are good but have always used Feather blades. I almost immediately started getting quality shaves as close as a safety razor with my Feather SS...Albeit, its not for everyone, I started out using both hands and as mentioned above with a very light hand. If you master that Feather AC , a shave ready conventional straight will be skating music to use. Since I have been using 0.25 micron diamond spray for stropping before leather, I declare my conventional straights seem as sharp as the feather blades and give such a much more enjoyable shave. I now use my Feather SS for traveling and keep it in my dopp bag. I believe that with a very light hand and short strokes you will figure out how to handle the chin...remember, not unlike a safety razor, good prep and reduction passes will take you far. Be sure that you have your beard mapped well too.
PS..Stretching the skin is a very, very big help, to
HTH

Last edited:
For the tough parts around my chin I do some blade buffing like with a DE, going from the sides to the middle, works very good but be careful when you try it, I do about 1/5" at a time.

Thanks everyone for the tips, I did think about storing the blade upside down, but never thought about practising with the dull edge, so thanks gsurko for that idea, I will try that for sure. I think I will get the hang of it with care and patience and once the blade has been used a few times it might be smoother, as I understand you get more shaves per blade than a standard DE blade.

thanks again everyone, it's been most helpful :)

I am a straight razor user and i also own a SS which is included in my rotation. I use the Pro blades which are great however i started with the Pro guard which i use a couple of times and moved on to Pro. I am vey very satisfied with the feather. It is a fantastic machine very close to straights. Love it. And yes the blades last for at least 15 - 20 shaves. There are no techiniques. Just practice. By the way my first straight was a Dovo best quality which i also send for honing because i wasnt sure how well shave ready was. Now it is one of my best. practice and practice. The result will pay your efforts thats for sure.

Top Bottom