What's new

First shave with a DE89L with Feather Blade, just WOW

To say I have gone a bit overboard would be an understatement regarding this new shave hobby I jumped in to a couple of months ago. I installed a shelf in my bathroom that contains my wall of Soaps, Creams, AS, PS, Blades, Mugs, Bowls, Razors, Brushes, Alum and ect, each of these items being a great experience. My first shave was with a Merkur 20C Satin finished handle it was a good shave and better than the usual cartridge. Next razor purchase was the Black Beauty of which i enjoy very much but need to find the right blade/razor combo for. This past Monday the Edwin Jagger DE89L arrived at my door and after using it this morning with a feather blade i have to say I believe. My shave this morning I felt was perfect for me as I was able to keep a perfect angle with the blade the whole way through and recieved a very BBS shave. I have had good shaves before with my other blades but for a first run and with no fuss this made my day.

Though I prefer the long handles due to big hands this handle was honestly perfectly fine, shorter than my long handled black beauty but also heavier. The lines in the handle provided a great grip that I fel after my first go through i should have no issue with. The safety bar I am learning i prefer the smooth chrome to the super adjustables lined bar, they just feel smooth and seem to have a cooling effect on my face while shaving.

I was considering the Muhle R89 but upon researching found out both models contained the same head so i went with the less expensive option.

I, too, love my EJ DE89L. I think it is a fantastic razor. At first I thought the handle was OK, but there were times when I found it to be very slippery. I bought a Weber Classic Handle and it turned out to be a great purchase. It is both heavier and longer than the EJ handle. The grip is knurled so it doesn't matter how much soap you get on your hands. The handle is never slippery.

On the other hand, I find the head to be absolutely perfect. I get extremely close shaves every day; most of them BBS. My shaves are so much closer than I ever dreamed they could be. A cartridge never gave me a shave this close. My favorite blades for this razor in no particular order are Voskhod, Personna Blue Labs, and Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow.

On the other hand, I find the head to be absolutely perfect. I get extremely close shaves every day; most of them BBS. My shaves are so much closer than I ever dreamed they could be. A cartridge never gave me a shave this close. My favorite blades for this razor in no particular order are Voskhod, Personna Blue Labs, and Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow.

I have a few of the Personna Blues I will give them a try with the DE89L as I wasnt a big fan of them with my black beauty. The gillette 7 0'clock series I need to grab a sample set of as i hear great things. I also have some Viking Swords and some other interesting blades heading my way i will give a whirl also.

My DE89L and a Feather is a super smooth and comfortable combo for me as well! I've found Kai and Polsilver Super Iridium to work well too.

I, too, have a DE89 and I love it. Still working my way through several blade samples...currently on the Gillette Silver Blue. I tried the feather blade a few weeks ago with almost the exact same response. I thought that I had found the perfect razor/blade combo as a noob since coming off of cartridges. Although giving me probably the best shave of my life, the blade barely made it through a second shave. If you're good with a 2-shave blade, sounds like you found a winner. Astra SP got me through 4 and the GSB holding solid on my third. Looking forward to trying the Polsilver and the 7 O'clock yellow and black.
Best of luck in your BBS search.

Started with the DE 89 and is always in my rotation. EJ De 89 + Weber Classic handle + Polsilver SI = shaving bliss for me.

Top Bottom