What's new

First Shave with a 1930 Gillette New Long Comb

Had my first shave tonight with my newly acquired 1930 Gillette New Long Comb. Loaded it with a new Feather, latherer up with The Fat and performed three passes. I could have and should have stopped after the second pass. But, I can’t stand any sensation of stubble anywhere, even though you can’t see it. I got careless and ended up with three weepers.

Those Gillette folks knew what they were doing back in 1930. The razor was slightly aggressive with the Feather blade, and had I been careful and maintained my technique through all three passes, I wouldn’t have had any nicks.

The first pass was with the grain and the second pass was against the grain. This was my first shave since Wednesday night and I normally shave every night.

I like the look and feel of the razor. Very well designed. I recently got one and was not disappointed. Though I tried it with a Gillette Platinum. I wouldn't try with a Feather except if I had a large growth.

I have one being re-plated in bright nickel by Chris at Razorplate. Iconic great shaver that just has “the look”.

I bought a repro ball end handle as I prefer that look and just did not want a repaired one.

One of my favorites for sure. My first time using it I had my "best shave on 1st use" I've ever had. It just felt right.

I rock mine with a pre-war fat handle and use a top cap from a post-war tech. I get my "tech" experience with perfect blade alignment every time, but with the benefits (imo) of the open comb design.

It's cool how these parts are all interchangeable.

I have one being re-plated in bright nickel by Chris at Razorplate. Iconic great shaver that just has “the look”.

I bought a repro ball end handle as I prefer that look and just did not want a repaired one.
Mine is not a ball end handle. Here is a couple of photos.
61908D16-71B3-4341-A725-BE69C9752C13.jpeg
86551128-2EE7-46B3-9B77-E2D364BBA494.jpeg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
But, I can’t stand any sensation of stubble anywhere, even though you can’t see it. I got careless and ended up with three weepers.

A NEW SC may solve that issue instantly. This was my experience with the NEW LC.

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-new-lc-not-cutting-it.520246/

The increased rigidity of the SC base instantly solved my issues with closeness and comfort.

Try loading a fat Tech handle with #8 lead shot. Seal it in with a bit of candle wax.

Top Bottom