What's new

First shave of the year - a comparison

So this is my first shave of the New Year! I have been using a straight razor for two months now. Before then, I used DEs and shavettes. Having started with straights, I decided that I needed to learn how to hone and I bought a few beaters off eBay to practice on. I did not want to send my razors out every time they needed honing. I just restored a 9/16 razor that I bought for $7.50. It's a lightweight razor with a thin blade and thin scales, similar to a dubl duck. It had some nicks and it took a bit of work. It's slightly less than 9/16 now. I find that small size useful for outlining the cheek lines of my beard.

I recently received a 5/8 Ralf Aust as a gift and decided to compare that shave with that of my beater. BTW, the beater is a Gold Zoo from Kalamazoo Pharmacal Co., out of Kalamazoo Michigan (my old college town). After removing the chips, I honed the Gold Zoo on an Ozuku, taking it through some progressions and finally through some very thin slurry. That was my first attempt at a jnat finish. Brad at Maggards honed the Ralf Aust. So you know how this will end.

After about 100 strops, the Gold Zoo would not pass HHT, but it would treetop my arm at about 1/8 inch, but not at 1/4 inch. These are subjective tests and the Ralf Aust did cut a few hanging hairs, but not all (after 40 strops). The shave told it all. I have a short beard and I keep a very high neckline. So I have a lot of shaving to do under my chin and on my neck. And that has always been a more difficult area, as the skin there is not as tight and there is the Adam's apple to deal with. I did one side with the Gold Zoo and one side with the Aust. The Gold Zoo tugged a bit and it was hard to find that starting angle. Once I got the working angle, the Zoo shaved okay, but still tugged just a bit. The Aust was a different story. Because it is heavier and likely sharper, it was easy to get that starting angle and it did not tug. It was also better balanced and easier to hold and move. By comparing to the Zoo, I can see the difference in quality and shave readiness. This was my first shave with the Ralf Aust. It was nice and smooth; well worth the price! However, I do plan on finessing the Zoo a bit more and getting it to a higher level. It's just the right size for outlining the top of my beard. And while the Zoo tugged just a bit, there was no irritation. My ultimate goal is to get an old vintage blade to the same level as new high quality razor.

Finally, thanks to all here that have helped me on this journey and I wish you all a Healthy and Happy New Year!

zoo.jpg

I have a Geneva and a Crane that look nearly identical to your Zoo in terms of both scales and the shape of the blade. Probably weight too (both are around 35g). I’m sure with a bit of practice you can get it shaving really nicely.

Great work on the zoo. I certainly would not expect it to be in the same class as a Ralf Aust, but you are certainly moving it in a positive direction. Any chance on a picture of the Aust?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nice story! It sounds like you have made a lot of progress, and great to hear about you using your new Ozuku. Just keep on truckin'.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So this is my first shave of the New Year! I have been using a straight razor for two months now. Before then, I used DEs and shavettes. Having started with straights, I decided that I needed to learn how to hone and I bought a few beaters off eBay to practice on. I did not want to send my razors out every time they needed honing. I just restored a 9/16 razor that I bought for $7.50. It's a lightweight razor with a thin blade and thin scales, similar to a dubl duck. It had some nicks and it took a bit of work. It's slightly less than 9/16 now. I find that small size useful for outlining the cheek lines of my beard.

I recently received a 5/8 Ralf Aust as a gift and decided to compare that shave with that of my beater. BTW, the beater is a Gold Zoo from Kalamazoo Pharmacal Co., out of Kalamazoo Michigan (my old college town). After removing the chips, I honed the Gold Zoo on an Ozuku, taking it through some progressions and finally through some very thin slurry. That was my first attempt at a jnat finish. Brad at Maggards honed the Ralf Aust. So you know how this will end.

After about 100 strops, the Gold Zoo would not pass HHT, but it would treetop my arm at about 1/8 inch, but not at 1/4 inch. These are subjective tests and the Ralf Aust did cut a few hanging hairs, but not all (after 40 strops). The shave told it all. I have a short beard and I keep a very high neckline. So I have a lot of shaving to do under my chin and on my neck. And that has always been a more difficult area, as the skin there is not as tight and there is the Adam's apple to deal with. I did one side with the Gold Zoo and one side with the Aust. The Gold Zoo tugged a bit and it was hard to find that starting angle. Once I got the working angle, the Zoo shaved okay, but still tugged just a bit. The Aust was a different story. Because it is heavier and likely sharper, it was easy to get that starting angle and it did not tug. It was also better balanced and easier to hold and move. By comparing to the Zoo, I can see the difference in quality and shave readiness. This was my first shave with the Ralf Aust. It was nice and smooth; well worth the price! However, I do plan on finessing the Zoo a bit more and getting it to a higher level. It's just the right size for outlining the top of my beard. And while the Zoo tugged just a bit, there was no irritation. My ultimate goal is to get an old vintage blade to the same level as new high quality razor.

Finally, thanks to all here that have helped me on this journey and I wish you all a Healthy and Happy New Year!

View attachment 1202827
I’ve been shaving with only straights I guess three years now and 4/8 and 9/16 are my favorite sizes by far. I have a two or three 5/8 and no 6/8 any longer that I’m aware of. Keep at and use the sizes you like.

Top Bottom