What's new

First shave for teenage son

Update: So we did a trial pass with no blade. Then a full shave with a blade. One pass. He took his time, kept it light. And practiced the angle and figuring out the direction of the hairs. Shaving WTG. No irritation at all :) I'm so happy. Thanks for all the advice. I think we'll keep doing one pass WTG for a while. In the meantime, he will develop the muscle memory for the correct angle. Excited that he can learn how to properly shave at this age and not have to suffer all the unnecessary years that I did before discovering DE shaving.

He got ingrown hairs on his first shave ever??!!
Here, here! Sounds quite unlikely, especially considering the vellus nature of an adolescent's first whiskers.
Perhaps it was really irritation, razor-rash, or nicks...
He could be pressing too hard.
Any road, congratulations on a memorable bonding experience with your son.
I fondly remember shaving with my dad, using his DE without a blade...when I was too young to need one!

Last edited:
The Merkur 34c, as well as Mühle R89, Edwin Jagger DE89, King C. Gillette or the Timor Gentle Shaver (closed comb) with a standard blade (Derby Premium, Gillette Wilkinson, Gillette Silver Blue and such) should do fine, as would most vintage Gillettes (Super-Speed, Tech).
Don't let him aquire those bad habits through using a Mach3.

Update: So we did a trial pass with no blade. Then a full shave with a blade. One pass. He took his time, kept it light. And practiced the angle and figuring out the direction of the hairs. Shaving WTG. No irritation at all :) I'm so happy. Thanks for all the advice. I think we'll keep doing one pass WTG for a while. In the meantime, he will develop the muscle memory for the correct angle. Excited that he can learn how to properly shave at this age and not have to suffer all the unnecessary years that I did before discovering DE shaving.

Proud Papa Moment!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You know if a young fellow thinks something is cool and works well he will use it. I bought a Razorock SLOC for my son 3 Christmas's ago and he still uses it(not as much as I would kike to see him use it). That razor is hard to get a cut from and gives a good shave. I still use mine and it has to be one of the easiest going shaves out there. I recently have put a KAI SS blade in it and made it a closer shaving razor because the KAI SS blade is a little wider blade compared to a standard Gillette.

I shaved my two guys with a DE when they first started needing a shave every once in a while (each at 14 or so). This gave them a sense of feel and angle. At 15, I opened my den to the younger one. With a little prodding (the Timeless was off limits lol), he grabbed my Standard aluminum. He now shaves, proudly, nick free, even against the grain.

The older one, who gravitated to carts notwithstanding, recently picked up his younger brother’s razor with reckless abandon. Thank heavens, his covid mane was a bit unruly. After congratulating him on his nick free shave without any recent practice, I was met with a puzzled look and a reply to the effect of what was the big deal. In his case, probably like riding a bike; once learned, never forgotten.

Now on to brushes and soaps. They seem to like their Cremo or whatever they’re buying. They’ll learn . . .

Top Bottom