What's new

First shave for teenage son

Hi all,
So last weekend I got my 16 year old to try his first shave.
As per what I read on a lot of forums I had him use one of my old Mach 3s with a new cart.
Using the full suite of Proraso white and a badger brush. The shave went slow, steady, successfully. He was super impressed by how smooth his face felt at the end. Was quite a thrill for me as a dad to be there for him and giving advice. Unfortunately, my dad wasn't there for me.
Also unfortunately but predictably he ended up with some ingrown hairs as a result on his neck.
He's already due for another shave this weekend and I'm hesitant on whether to have him use a cart again or have him use a Merkur 34C with a mild blade instead. Any advice you can give would be awesome! I would be there to guide him every step of the way.

When I was 16 I took my dads razor and went to work on my own. That was 1958 the razor was a Gillette TTO, when he found out I was using his razor he gave it to me and bought a electric razor. So I would let your son use the de razor so he can get used to it.
Also the only thing my father told me about shaving was be careful when changing blades.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

I would have him avoid ATG in the area of the ingrown hairs. Stick with wtg and/or cross grain.

Careful not to stretch the skin too much.

I think the DE is less likely to create ingrown hairs, in general.

Focus on a light touch.

Remind him that the goal is gradual beard reduction, not trying to get it all at once.

Maybe some of that will help.

Awesome that you're having this time with your son!

(Sent from mobile)

Thanks. I've asked him to start figuring out the hair pattern on his neck for the next shave.
I think he did go ATG the first time. Plus he had pretty long hair growth in that area which was tricky to remove with the cart.
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll have him give the DE a go next time. Would having him do a pass without the blade to get a feel be a good idea?

I would have him avoid ATG in the area of the ingrown hairs. Stick with wtg and/or cross grain.

Careful not to stretch the skin too much.

I think the DE is less likely to create ingrown hairs, in general.

Focus on a light touch.

Remind him that the goal is gradual beard reduction, not trying to get it all at once.

Maybe some of that will help.

Awesome that you're having this time with your son!

(Sent from mobile)

Another problem in that area is learning to navigate the Adam's apple. Something I haven't quite mastered myself. Still feels awkward.

Hi all,
So last weekend I got my 16 year old to try his first shave.
As per what I read on a lot of forums I had him use one of my old Mach 3s with a new cart.
Using the full suite of Proraso white and a badger brush. The shave went slow, steady, successfully. He was super impressed by how smooth his face felt at the end. Was quite a thrill for me as a dad to be there for him and giving advice. Unfortunately, my dad wasn't there for me.
Also unfortunately but predictably he ended up with some ingrown hairs as a result on his neck.
He's already due for another shave this weekend and I'm hesitant on whether to have him use a cart again or have him use a Merkur 34C with a mild blade instead. Any advice you can give would be awesome! I would be there to guide him every step of the way.
He got ingrown hairs on his first shave ever??!!

I wouldn’t have him use a DE on his second shave just because he might get turned off to them if he gets cut up. What i’d recommend is buying some single blade Bic disposables and have him use those for a bit. The angle is fixed but it’ll give him a good idea what shaving with a single blade is like and unlike a cart it’ll teach him to use less pressure. I’ve always thought it was the best type of razor to start with to ensure you can use just about any razor and do a good job.

I started my son shaving last year at 13, when the lip worm was at a point where it was too noticeable to ignore.

He probably gets in one shave every couple weeks, always with me there to help (I’m doing most of it for now) him along. He uses an aluminum Tech. Only been nicked once thankfully! His hair is still so fine that it can be difficult to get everything without a little extra, careful effort.

He’s pretty timid in handling it and hasn’t quite grasped the concept of finding the cutting angle consistently. The main things I caution him on when he is handling it is a light touch and to always make strokes up and down, parallel to the length of the razor, never side to side!

Your gut is telling you to let him try the DE. Trust your gut! The only thing you are battling so far is ingrown hairs, and the DE will be better in that area.

You could let him practice without a blade. Watch him practice and be ready to coach him regarding any side to side movement with the razor head (especially if he tries to position the razor with movements in this direction right before a stroke). As long as he doesn't do anything to make the blade slice, he should be fine.

I was 4 years old when I first picked up my Grandpa's DE (I was being a little sneaky). There was blood everywhere and I remember being so scared when I went to get help, but I have no scars. It didn't discourage me--I got a plastic toy razor that year for Christmas, and my Dad would let me use his goop in a can from time to time with it.

Congratulations--you (and your son) are building some important memories. Even if you make mistakes on the next step, this won't change.

Using a cartridge razor ATG is likely to be too much, too soon. Although I shave multiple passes with straight, DE, and SE razors, including shaving ATG, when using a cartridge razor, I stick to WTG only. ATG would cause severe irritation.

Rememeber also that teenage boys often have teenage skin problems like acne. He will need to be careful. A DE razor will be less likely to cause problems than a cartridge razor if he uses if properly.

A wonderful experience! I would recommend perhaps a Gillette Guard, a Sensor or a TracII/GII next. Maybe even a Bic Metal. If the Mach 3 gave irritation on the first shave my guess would be that 3 or more blades might be too much for his skin (as it is for many, many people). However, if I had tried a DE razor at 16 I think I would have struggled a little because of the need to maintain angle. I also had acne and so a DE would have seemed quite intimidating back then.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I started my boys into Dr (one when he was 20 and fed up of the cost of carts and the other at 14 when carts irritated his skin)
I went for the mildest most non threatening razor I could find, the Wilkinson sword classic
7000155Z___L.jpg

Paired with the much maligned Derby blades they managed to get along without cutting themselves. They have since moved on to sharper blades and the oldest is trying out some of my razors to get an idea of what suits him

I started my boys into Dr (one when he was 20 and fed up of the cost of carts and the other at 14 when carts irritated his skin)
I went for the mildest most non threatening razor I could find, the Wilkinson sword classic
View attachment 1194464
Paired with the much maligned Derby blades they managed to get along without cutting themselves. They have since moved on to sharper blades and the oldest is trying out some of my razors to get an idea of what suits him

Although the Wilkinson Sword razor is mild, the blades are pretty sharp. Thus, they are a good pairing for many people. When young men first start out on their shaving journey, their beards are typically thin and fine. Thus, they do not need the sharp blades they may come to prefer later. While I hate Derby blades personally for my heavy, coarse beard, they might be ideal for a young boy.

Thanks for all the great advice everybody. We are about to do shave #2. I agree with the idea of having him do a practice run without the blade so that I can coach on pressure and angle. Then pop in a mild blade.

Congratulations!

You could let him do a 1 pass shave with the cart.
Find carts with as less blades as possible
Find a broman or focus dynamic if you must have a tilting head. Uses half de blades.
Oneblade is a great but bit more expensive to use alternative.
OTOH if you learn him to shave with a proper de he will save a looot of money and really learns to use proper technique.
There are specific products for ingrown hairs!

Would having him do a pass without the blade to get a feel be a good idea?

Maybe. But I think I'd feel kinda dumb doing that. But his personality may be cool with it.

It's pretty easy to tell when you've got the angle close to right.

And the other guy who said to just do wtg for now is worth considering.

(Sent from mobile)

Top Bottom