What's new

First shave ever with a straight

It was awkward.

Picked up a Dovo Best from TSS. I don’t think it was quite sharp enough as it actually hurt as I shaved and burned a bit when I was finished. I stopped and gave it a stropping which helped. I went ahead and done everything, cheeks, chin, lip, and neck and made 3 passes. Two nicks, one on my lip and one on my chin.

I’m pretty excited about getting started with a straight. It’s going to be fun and interesting to get everything dialed in.

Attachments

• D2DEB048-F331-447F-9F54-39E296EC319C.jpeg
    D2DEB048-F331-447F-9F54-39E296EC319C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Nothing beats good straight shave. Always strop before a shave, I also strop after just for good measure. You have the right tools, now it’s refining your technique and routine.

Welcome to a very addictive grooming hobby.

Pretty stoked about shaving in a traditional way. First shave was enjoyable but ended with razor burn lol. Going to try less pressure and different angle.

Pretty stoked about shaving in a traditional way. First shave was enjoyable but ended with razor burn lol. Going to try less pressure and different angle.

If the razor was not sharp enough, I've caused irritation by going over the same area too many times. I found the problem was solved by using a single or double edge on those areas until I dialed in my honing and stropping.

anecdotally, most new to straights think the ade is not sharp enough (not all, but most). if TSS honed it, it should be good to go. i would reach out to him for help.

good luck in the rest of your shaves!

anecdotally, most new to straights think the ade is not sharp enough (not all, but most). if TSS honed it, it should be good to go. i would reach out to him for help.

good luck in the rest of your shaves!
This. I am going to work on technique and stropping skills for now

My face felt a little better this morning so I just couldn't wait to lather up again. Made just one pass this time just to knock back the stubble to an acceptable length for church. Made a second pass across the grain this evening before bed. Tonight I was able to get my chin with fairly reasonable results. My face is burning a little again but not as much as the first time. Shaving is fun again. I love lathering, shaving, stropping, the whole package. I'm already thinking of a second razor to start the collection lol.

proxy.php

Welcome to the forum AND TO STRAIGHT RAZORS! We are all here to help.

It does sound like that razor wasn’t exactly shave ready. Do you mind me asking where you bought it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m new at this but I think it’s ok. Seems to be better now that I am using a lighter touch and less angle. I got it from The Superior Shave because he makes them shave ready.

You definitely made a good move with Superior Shave. I bought a Bismarck and a Wacker from him. Both had superb edges on them.

Regarding technique as a newbie, I'll give you the following advice:
  • Don't "chase the BBS"!! By that I mean don't insist on having a baby-bottom-smooth shave until you've gotten comfortable with maneuvering the razor. In fact, I'd recommend only shaving WTG (with the grain) for now. You're actually pretty brave to do a complete shave as a newbie. A lot of people recommend just a single WTG pass on the cheeks and finishing up with a DE, disposable, or cartridge until you've mastered the blade angle and pressure of the straight.
  • Go to Youtube and watch some of the instructional videos by Lynn S. Abrams. Some of them drag on a bit, but he does a great job of explaining things and demonstrating for someone with little or no experience. There are also good videos from Lynn and others on stropping technique. You could dull a perfectly good edge (ask me how I know) with poor stropping technique.
  • TAKE YOUR TIME!! Any time I do a straight or shavette shave while in a hurry or watching the clock (even after 5+ years of experience).....guaranteed nicks and/or weepers.
Good luck and let us know how you do!

Rob

Top Bottom