What's new

First shave done (and lots to learn)

I got my razor from Whipped Dog. It's a 5/8 hollow, but damn if I can figure out what manufacture. I was doing a little fishing for info in the acquisition and shave of the day threads, but no joy. Just 3 squiggles on the front of the tang and a 2 on the back.

I am glad I have a variety of razors to shave with so early in my shaving journey. This new one is the lightest of my 3, so getting used to handling it was awkward at first, but it shaves great after the edge Larry Andro put on it. I have found that in my last couple of shaves I have been perhaps a little aggressive, as I am getting a couple of nicks and weepers, which was less common earlier on. I think it's time to slow back down and focus on technique again.
20200113_123541.jpg

I just had probably the best shave I've had since I started straight razor shaving. It was my third shave with the razor pictured above (I'll call it CCC as I haven't been able to definitely determine the brand, though it's possibly a Cattaraugus Cutlery Co). I attribute the quality of the shave to a combination of the sharpness of the razor, the amount of pressure (less, but enough to power a very light blade through my stubble,) and the angle. I've lost track of my number of SR shaves, but it is enough that I am getting more consistently good shaves. I'd say my biggest faults recently have been using too much pressure, which has resulted in razor burn, and in going too fast, which has resulted in a couple of nicks (I had a bad scare, where I thought I seriously cut my lip when it twitched as I was going ATG on my upper lip - it turned out to be minor, with almost no blood).

To round it out, my stropping game is getting dialed in quite nicely. I think I was using too much pressure when I started, but after lightening up and making sure any pressure was applied to the spine rather than torquing any pressure to the edge.

Looking forward to years more of honing my skills.

Top Bottom