What's new

First shave, blade problems

I used a EJ89L, Derby extra blade, and Mike's Natural Soap coconut. I rinsed the blade when needed. After the shave I took apart the razor and one side had a lot of soap and whisker build up. Could it be that I applied to much soap or the soap was to thick? Thanks.

You might shake the razor more vigorously in the water when you're rinsing it. I've notice that happens to me now and then when I'm shaving more than a couple day's growth with the EJ 89...

That happened to me once with my Merkur HD. Don't know what caused it, but it hasn't happened again since then. One thing is i used to swish the razor around in the sink full of water but now i just turn the foucet on. Maybe the swish wasn't clearing the gunk out good enough.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's possible that the lather was a little thick, but it's also possible that you just needed to rinse the razor a bit more. I'm not sure either case is very important - it's all about the shave. Did you have a good shave?

Some people like more cushion from the lather - like myself - and some are more into slickness. I recommend you try a little more water in your next lather. You'll either like it more or you'll like it less - either way it's good to know what you like.

It's hard to use too much product - not impossible, but very difficult.

I give the razor a good blast from the faucet before I put it away.

Since you listed no complaints about the shave I'm going to assume you're doing a fine job. Keep up the good work.

A good tip that served me well when I began limping along the DE road was to practice making lathers, applying it, rinsing off, then starting again - each time adding a little more water or more cream / soap.

A good lather can make a great shave. A bad lather can ruin a shave and your day!

As others have noted, swish the razor vigorously in the water or under running water.

Good luck!

Could be the lather was too thick. It could also mean you're not rinsing well enough. I tried swishing in the sink but came to realize that I needed to use the faucet on medium high pressure to make sure I'm clearing it out properly with each rinse.

I swished the razor pretty vigorously in the sink and put it under the faucet on high. I have soft water so I don't know if that makes a difference. When on high the faucet doesn't have the greatest pressure. I shaved after my shower and had my face lathered up when I realized that I didn't wet my face before applying the lather. I went on with the shave and had some pulling and tugging. I didn't cut or ding myself so I was pretty happy about that. In hindsight I should've wet my face before applying the lather.

Put a towel on your counter and place the razor head on the towel.

Loosen the cap then swish it around in your basin of water to clean up the inside and blade.

I remove the blade after each shave as I shave with a different razor and blade every day.

Put the blade on your towel and fold a corner over and pat the blade dry.

If you continue to see thick soap build up on your blade you are not building your lather thoroughly and are applying soap to your face instead of lather.

Tell us how you build your lather for more tips that will help you get past this mistake

Top Bottom