What's new

First SE shave

Tonight, after lots of research, I will be performing my first SE shave.

GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf.
Van Der Hagen soap and Boar brush.
CVS blades.
CVS sensitive skin balm.

I know these aren't the best tools for the job (save for the razor), but it's what I have, and I'm hoping technique will trump tools.

Tips? Comments??

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Tools can be important, but without technique, tools are of no use. If your technique is good, you can get a decent shave with almost anything.

Tonight, after lots of research, I will be performing my first SE shave.

GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf.
Van Der Hagen soap and Boar brush.
CVS blades.
CVS sensitive skin balm.

I know these aren't the best tools for the job (save for the razor), but it's what I have, and I'm hoping technique will trump tools.

Tips? Comments??

Welcome to B&B. You cannot go wrong with a Gem razor. As far as tips... prep your face well by washing it with warm soap and water. Take your time. This is not a chore (i.e. Mach 3, Fusion) but a ritual. Do not rush and do not apply any pressure. Let the weight of the GEM guide you. Keep us posted once you have your 1st SE shave completed.

WARHAWK

Tips for the SE are similar to those for a DE. First, no pressure. The Micromatic can be aggressive so again no pressure. As for blade angle, keep the head of the razor close to your face. Some shave with the head lying on their face - but that doesn't work for me. I need a little separation to get a closer shave.

Take your time and enjoy!

Well, it was quite an exciting experience to shave with an 80 year old razor! I took my time and used caution. It took a few minutes to get the angle correct. When I did, I could HEAR the whiskers being mowed down with ease! I did the 1st pass WTG, then the 2nd XTG ear to nose. The 3rd nose to ear. I have a couple small nicks so I'll definitely need to procure some alum and witch hazel.

I simply can not wait until my next shave, so I can improve upon my performance! This is so exciting!!

Welcome to B&B

Best advice is "Shallow Angle"..... Keep the blade cap almost touching your face. SE is not like DE. the blade needs to be almost flat against your face to cut otherwise it is a paint scrapper moving across your face

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Congratulations! Sounds like you take the same approach as I do to my shaves in terms of number of passes and direction of strokes. Glad to hears your shave went well. I will say it until I am blue in the face, SE razors are some of the most intuitive safety razors out there. You can really tell when you are cutting the hairs and when you aren't..... and it's usually just a slight adjustment to make to get things right.

Keep it up!

Ben

Second shave last night. Even better than the first. Only one nick on my neck. Very close. So much fun! I wish I had ditched the carts (or never started with them) years ago. Can't wait to get my DE razor (EJ DE 89). I love this new hobby!!

Congrats on a successful first SE shave. It only gets easier from this point forward. I'll have to agree with the prior comments already posted.

proxy.php

Top Bottom