What's new

First SE shave with MMOC

Well, after reading uncounted threads about the Gem razors, I got a little excited and found what looked to be an unused boxed MMOC, still having the tag tied to the handle and the cardboard filler where the blade goes. I didn't have any SE shaving blades, just regular hardware store ones. I ordered some PTFE and carbon steel blades from tryablade, and anxiously waited. I was tempted to try a hardware store blade, but resisted. I shaved this morning around 4 am, and when I got home from work at 4 pm, my blades were waiting. I rubbed my neck, yeah, I could feel stubble, it was a 3 day old Derby blade this morning....why not? Loaded up the MMOC with a PTFE, lathered up with Palmolive Lather, and slowly and cautiously watched my shaving angle, trying to keep the flat cap on my face. It wasn't a perfect shave, I had a few weepers, but it was only my first Gem shave. It certainly is different than DE shaving. Looking forward to learning this razor better, and even trying the carbon steel blades (I enjoy Treet Black Beauties). Thanks to everyone for their previous posts and sharing their knowledge and experience!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Well done on the shave. I tried my great grandfathers GEM 1912 and it was horrific. I kept defaulting to the DE angle and just scraped. I tried a Schick Injector and had the same trouble. When I did get the angle right the shave on that part on the skin was really great. I would have liked to keep trying but my technique is terrible. With a good technique I think SE razors would deliver an excellent shave.

Welcome to the club. After shave 3, the blade mellows out a bit (still extremely sharp) and you'll be in the sweet spot. And of course your technique will improve. I'm still in the learning phase with my MMOC.

Third shave in a row for my MMOC. Getting the hang of this razor a little better. Going slow, keeping an eye on that head angle. I use a "scooping" pass under my nose, same as I do when I use a straight. Only one weeper today, and that was in the regular trouble spot on my lower neck that I get weepers at with ultra sharp DE blades as well. Learning the weight of the razor vs keeping the head slope flat on my skin. Gonna try to use the blade for a week, and try a carbon one next.

Third shave in a row for my MMOC. Getting the hang of this razor a little better. Going slow, keeping an eye on that head angle. I use a "scooping" pass under my nose, same as I do when I use a straight. Only one weeper today, and that was in the regular trouble spot on my lower neck that I get weepers at with ultra sharp DE blades as well. Learning the weight of the razor vs keeping the head slope flat on my skin. Gonna try to use the blade for a week, and try a carbon one next.

Try something for me. See if you can barely let the blade/razor touch your face. I find I can accomplish what's needed using against and with the grain just barely touching the skin. Since you use a SR, this might make more sense than someone who doesn't.

You should get 9-12 shaves out of a PTFE blade, perhaps more. Don't get your hopes up for the carbon blades, they are extremely tuggy in my experience. The Treet SE blade is not made by the Treet DE blade folks; the Treet SE blades comes out of the Verona Va plant that produces the GEM and PAL SE blades.

Welcome aboard the SE train! I am pretty new to the SE and almost canned it. Let it sit a week or two then tried it again when the DE was not cutting well.

It worked! Still like the DE but the SE is gaining ground. Quite a bit of practice is needed to bring out the best with the SE. DE blades are good for 4 shaves and SE goes around 10 for me. Under the nose is not great with the SE but doable with the recommended sideways passes used.

I recommend the carbon blades. They shave smoother IMO and flex to the face better. Just dry them after like you would a straight razor. I think treet are my favorite.

Did 4 or 5 shaves on a PTFE blade, and wanted to try the carbon. Yesterday, I loaded one up, and was kind of stunned how tuggy it was, almost to the point of painful. I only got about 2 inches under my left side burn before I stopped and used a DE. Today I tried again with a fresh blade but hand stropped 5x per side, and a light corking on cardboard. Much improved, but still doesn't feel as sharp as the PTFE. After my skin dried, I can feel the carbon was not as close as the stainless. So, with the realization that I am not one for the maintenance of drying a blade after every shave, I am not going to use the carbon to shave but they will serve honorably in my garage for utility purposes.

Top Bottom