What's new

First SE Razor

Hi everyone,
I am hoping this is the right place to post it. I've been considering getting a SE for quite a while now but never ended up pulling the plug. I've also been reading many posts on this forum that have been slowly edging me towards finally making the call.

I am now ready to purchase my first SE razor and wanted to get advice on the model. Based on the models I've looked at so far, I decided that I want a Thiers Issard. Not something I can logically explain, just like their look and history. I live in Australia and unfortunately (like with everything), local shops are overpriced and do not provide honing services upon purchase. Hence, I decided that I'll just order the SE from overseas and get the rest of the supplies locally. I tried looking on TI official website but I must be a bit blind because for the life of me I cannot find a way to view the price/purchase them. However, I found some models below I like (and have a handle that is not made out of plastic - big factor for me) from a website that also offers to hone them for you when you buy them:
1. Thiers Issard 275 1196 Evide Sonnant Extra French Straight Razor | Carbon Steel | 6/8 Size | Extra Full Hollow Ground | Round Point | Ebony Wood Handle | Made in France – The Superior Shave - https://thesuperiorshave.com/product/thiers-issard-evide-sonnant-extra-68-ebony/ (or this one with a different handle - Thiers Issard 275 1196 Evide Sonnant Extra French Straight Razor | Carbon Steel | 6/8 Size | Extra Full Hollow Ground | Round Point | Bocote Wood Handle | Made in France – The Superior Shave - https://thesuperiorshave.com/product/thiers-issard-evide-sonnant-extra-68-bocote/)
2. Thiers Issard 889 Spartacus French Straight Razor | Carbon Steel | 7/8 Size | Extra Full Hollow Ground | Square Point | Ebony Wood Handle | Thumb Notch Tang Style, No Stabilizer at Shoulder | Made in France – The Superior Shave - https://thesuperiorshave.com/product/thiers-issard-spartacus-78-ebony/
3. Thiers Issard 889 Sheffield Silver Steel Wolf and Sheep French Straight Razor | Carbon Steel | 6/8 Size | Extra Full Hollow Ground | French Point | Ram’s Horn Handle | Made in France Thiers-Issard – The Superior Shave - https://thesuperiorshave.com/product/thiers-issard-889-sheffield-silver-steel-wolf-sheep-straight-razor/
4. Thiers Issard 889 Bijou de France French Straight Razor | Carbon Steel | 6/8 Size | Extra Full Hollow Ground | Round Point | Dark Cow Horn Handle | Made in France – The Superior Shave - https://thesuperiorshave.com/product/thiers-issard-889-bijoudefrance-horn/

Now, I know they are all different 'style', however they are all not small (I did not want to get a 3/8) and are full hollow. My common sense is telling me to get 1 or 4 as they have a round point, which makes it safer. However, the non-logical side of my brain prefers 2 and 3.

Would appreciate all advice - I have a feeling I might be missing something...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@nottoocreative999, if it is not already too late, read this first:

I have a few different point styles in my small stable of SRs (SR for straight razor, SE is fora single edge razor that is like a "safety" razor but with a replaceable single-edge blade). The following are 6/8 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" SRs made in Sheffield prior to 1924. From top to bottom; French, American (square) and Spanish. Most of my other SRs are Dutch (round) point.

IMG_20230316_065121.jpg

When I started out in the gentlemanly art, I started with Dutch point SRs. I am glad that I did. My non-Dutch pointed SRs all have pointy and sharp toes. I now prefer them that way as it helps to keep my concentration up.

For a beginner, I would strongly recommend that you start with a Dutch point SR, preferably 5/8 or 6/8 half to full hollow. There is plenty of time to develop your skills with other types of SRs as you develop your basic SR shaving technique and blade control.

Here are some instructions for you that may be of assistance:

If you do decide to go the non-Dutch point route you can always mute the toe, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Like most factory (mass) produced SRs, a TI razor will need to be professionally honed to truly shave-ready before you should use it. This can be done by the retail vendor, if they know what they are doing, or you will need to send it out to a honemeister. I don't know your location but here are some suggestions:

Last edited:
Hi @rbscebu , thanks for pointing out the difference between SR and SE, I'm still struggling with abbreviations (and names for things in general haha). Also appreciate you sending that guide, it looks very detailed, which is perfect for someone who hasn't done it before.

What are the dangers of non-Dutch points, is it mainly nicking your nose/ears? Also do you think it's worth buying a second cheap SR to practice stropping? I heard someone on youtube mention it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
All SRs can draw blood from shaving. This doesn't hurt if the edge is keen enough but it can be annoying. It is mainly nicking the area that you are shaving. Don't try shaving your ears and nose until you are very proficient at SR shaving. For inside of nostrils and ear canals, I use one of my Gold Dollar W59s, not recommend for a SR beginner.

IMG_20211223_165339.jpg

SR shaving requires a lot (total) concentration on the job at hand. There are so many things to concentrate on that you don't want to add to them. A Dutch point SR does not require as much concentration on the toe positioning as other point types, thus (hopefully) less blood.

I suggest that you do not start trying to hone SRs until you have at least developed a good basic SR shaving technique with a truly shave-ready SR (say about 100 daily SR shaves). Get a second cheaper SR to learn to hone on, something like a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 of one of the better Gold Dollars like their 208 or P81 (1916). Both the Titan and Gold Dollars are available on AliExpress for tens of dollars including shipping.

For honing, you are probably better starting off with lapping films rather than whetstones. They are more economical to learn on and take some of the variables, like surface flatness and inconsistent abrasives, out of the equation. What you learn while honing with lapping films also holds true if you decide to later go to whetstones. How-to can be found here:

What you will need is a strop (or two or more). The odds are that you will soon cut up your first strop so keep is cheap. I cut up my first two strops but I'm a slow learner.

I would recommend purchasing a shave ready razor from someone here on the forum. It will save you the hassle and you are more likely to get a good edge. I have shaved with a couple of razors from@rbscebu and you cannot go wrong there. You should take up his kind offer.

Legion

Staff member
It's just shaving. Don't overthink it.
Just buy the one you like the most.
Pretty much this.

Whatever your first razor, no matter how cheap or fancy, it needs to be put shave ready by someone who knows what they are doing. Without that you could be shooting blind for years.

If you buy from the vendor you included, just pay for the honing service. Jarrod wil the hone it in accordance with the French and German traditions.
He has honed thousands of razors.
He is also a vendor that deserve all the credit were credit's due.

Top Bottom