What's new

First SE razor?

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I really didn't find any threads. If there are, please point to them.

Been shaving for years with a DE, but have been watching videos of guys shaving with SEs and I'm swayed. Interested in the OneBlade, Supply and RR Hawk. However there seems like some great vintage options too. Sigh.

Any recommendations? I do prefer a milder shave.

I started shaving in about 1972 with a Schick injector, one of the 1950's models. Used carts for a while in college, then went back to the Schick after my dad passed away in 1976 and used it for the next 15 years or so.

Hard to go wrong with one!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
For a milder shave, Colonial Razors General. I have an older Brass General and pair it with a Schick Proline and it’s heaven. I feel like it’s almost impossible to get even a hint of irritation with and get BBS with it frequently. The current General V2 offering is likely as good, maybe even better since it has a more generous gap for the safety bat to rinse the lather and stubble out of.

As for a more mild GEM, the L1 plate for the Blackland Vector would be a great option.

The Supply V2 with the 1Dot plate is actually too mild for me but I love the 2Dot plate for it.

There is a Blackland Vector in my mailbox waiting for me to get home and try out tonight so I’ll update you in a few hours on whether it can qualify as mildish.

I would avoid the ATT SE1 and SE2 if you prefer milder razors. I’ve owned both and they’re both great but they’re quite efficient. I wouldn’t call them aggressive but they’re not mild, you’ll feel the blade with them more than some other options. YMMV of course.

One sure thing is you’ll be surprised how different any SE shave will feel compared to DE.

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I really didn't find any threads. If there are, please point to them.

Been shaving for years with a DE, but have been watching videos of guys shaving with SEs and I'm swayed. Interested in the OneBlade, Supply and RR Hawk. However there seems like some great vintage options too. Sigh.

For a vintage Gem razor, you can’t go wrong with any of their 1912 variants. They’re fantastic razors!

My favorite is a Gem damaskeene as I always get smooth close shaves with it.

For a vintage Gem razor, you can’t go wrong with any of their 1912 variants. They’re fantastic razors!

My favorite is a Gem damaskeene as I always get smooth close shaves with it.

I feel like I missed out on a bunch of great SEs about a decade ago when I first got into DE shaving. Picking up nice DE razors from antique stores and flea markets, but passing over the SEs because I didn't know blades were still available. Now the supply is less and $$$!

Wow! SE shaving must be on the rise.

All of the razors mentioned above are pre-order, back-ordered, no supply or hard to obtain vintage.

The RazoRock Hawk is a good one to try since it is available and only cost $29.99.
My first choice if you like mild razors would a General. But not in stock.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

I have used a few of the razors you have mentioned, I have been using the OneBlade Core and it is a great mild razor that reduces irritation and weepers and nicks.(I use a Gem SS PTFE blade modified and it is wonderful combination, the FHS-10 blade is great for a couple of shaves but has not the longevity of a Gem IMO.)
On the Gem side of mild shaving I really enjoy Gem Jr 1912 with the tapered Baton handle, Gem Damaskeene open comb and a favorite would be the Gem Featherweight.
On the Schick side of injectors the J1 is a nice mild razor also i2 another good one and of coarse the M type adjustable's are excellent and well built. I also can mention a L type with a Twin II blade is a nice shaver.
Have some great shaves.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Any cheaper, easier to obtain recommendations? Or are they not worth it?

Lots of great vintage options. I only have 1 vintage, an Everready 1912. Great razor. I just geek out over the machining and attention that goes into modern razors.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Alright, first shave with the Vector is done. I would call it a mid aggressive, about a 6/10. The General is more mild, however my first shave with the Vector is right there with the General. It’s absolutely BBS on the first try with no irritation and my only tiny weeper was already there under my nose and just reopened. Stellar razor. Expensive, yes, but it is outstanding.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
On the Gem side of mild shaving I really enjoy Gem Jr 1912 with the tapered Baton handle, Gem Damaskeene open comb and a favorite would be the Gem Featherweight.

First question is always: What's your budget?

I prefer GEM style razors. The Gem Featherweight Deluxe is one of my favorite SE razors.

20191215_122646~2.jpg

20200106_210746~2.jpg

Another good option is the GEM G Bar (on the left in the picture below).

20191217_064634~2.jpg

And the GEM Junior.

20191118_213548~2.jpg

All three of these razors are available quite reasonably, usually between $20 - $30.

I use Ted Pella Personna GEM style blades.

Hope this helps.

It depends on how much you want to spend. I have a Schick Eversharp injector I love. And a certain bay has a cpl of new old stock just like mine listed. I may just have to pick one up.

I have used a few of the razors you have mentioned, I have been using the OneBlade Core and it is a great mild razor that reduces irritation and weepers and nicks.(I use a Gem SS PTFE blade modified and it is wonderful combination, the FHS-10 blade is great for a couple of shaves but has not the longevity of a Gem IMO.)
On the Schick side of injectors the J1 is a nice mild razor also i2 another good one and of coarse the M type adjustable's are excellent and well built. I also can mention a L type with a Twin II blade is a nice shaver.
Have some great shaves.

Before I ever started DE shaving, my blade of choice was the Trac II. Still have have some old, old Trac IIs, but my wife uses them on her legs. She get 25x shaves or more per blade. That would never happen on my face anymore.

But thanks for the vintage recommendations. Leaning towards an old razor. For cost and accessibility.

Top Bottom