What's new

First Se Razor

Hi folks.

Was browsing on that well known auction site and snagged me this razor.

upload_2017-12-17_19-30-26.jpeg
upload_2017-12-17_19-30-26.jpeg

It only had seconds to go when I saw it, so I bid £10 and won!

This is the best picture I have of it for now. Anyone got any idea's what version of Ever Ready SE it is?

I've ordered some GEM PTFE blades for it, should all arrive before Christmas I hope.

How long do the blades last compared to DE blades?

Cheers,

Doug.

In my experience , 5-8 shaves per blade is about right. Unfortunately I don’t know what model it is , so my apologies.

It seems to have uploaded the same picture twice.

Try this

proxy.php

Unfortunately there are no pictures of the assembled razor.

Looking around I think it may be a 1912, but won't know for sure until it arrives.

Cheers,

Doug.

Hi folks.

Was browsing on that well known auction site and snagged me this razor.

View attachment 844996View attachment 844996

It only had seconds to go when I saw it, so I bid £10 and won!

This is the best picture I have of it for now. Anyone got any idea's what version of Ever Ready SE it is?

I've ordered some GEM PTFE blades for it, should all arrive before Christmas I hope.

How long do the blades last compared to DE blades?

Cheers,

Doug.
Had to leave taptalk and look in the web browser. Looks like a 1912 patent but beyond that I have no idea what year it is.
1912's are great shavers, my Gem Junior shaves the best out of the 6 1912 razors I have.
I suggest getting a Ever Ready 1924 "Shovelhead" next. Very underrated razor and you can get them on the cheap.
I can get about 6 or 7 shaves out of a blade.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My razor arrived today.

The razor and case are in pristine condition, no sign of much use at all.

Inside the clam it is marked "Ever-Ready" and "MADE IN U.S.A."
Around the screw hole where the handle attaches is "PAT'D 1912"

I can find no other marking as to indicate its actual age.
How can I tell how old it is?

Not shaved with it yet, probably give it a spin tomorrow.

Cheers,

Doug.

That great. If you Google “Every Ready Razor dating” you’ll find some articles with a history of the Gem and Ever Ready brands. If I’m reading them correctly, the 1912 Pat. Ever Ready was produced starting in 1930, of all years!

@Peter's coin looks like your right. 1930 is when Ever Ready started making the patented 1912, then ceased production in the USA in 1933. So it falls somwhere within those 3 years.

@kyproset I'll be giving it a try later tonight.
Will be interesting to see how long it takes me to get the angle right. :001_cool:

@Peter's coin looks like your right. 1930 is when Ever Ready started making the patented 1912, then ceased production in the USA in 1933. So it falls somwhere within those 3 years.

@kyproset I'll be giving it a try later tonight.
Will be interesting to see how long it takes me to get the angle right. :001_cool:
I found the angle very easy to find. Put the head flush to your face then bring it out until it feels comfortable. I think I keep it about a cm or less away.

Yes, that’s what I do, too. I shaved this morning with a Gem 1912 that I hadn’t used, yet. Put in a new blade, found the angle and got a great, easy, BBS shave. They are loud. I really like all of my vintage Gem and Ever Ready razors.

Just had my first shave with the 1912 and, hesistant to say, but this might be the best shave i've had since i took up wet shaving 6 months ago.
The nearest I can get to this is with my Feather AS-D2 and a nice sharp blade - which cost 20 times more than the 1912!

I love the noise! you can really tell its mowing down the bristles, and tell when they are all gone. Pretty cool.

I can usually get 12-18 hours of smooth face with a good Feather shave, should be interesting to see how long this lasts.

Thanks for the help with this guys, getting the right angle was easy once i took your advice.

Cheers,

Doug.

Top Bottom