What's new

First SE Razor Shave

R

rainman

I used a Gem Micromatic. The one with a safety bar and the "bullet" TTO knob and an ASR carbon blade that came with it when I purchased it. As far as technique I decided to just use my instincts and ignore all advice. It worked out fine. Not one cut or knick and a close shave.

Congratulations on the issue free SE shave. I think I listened to too much advice and never got the hang of the Gem. I probably did not give it a fair shake before selling it off.

GEMs can give a fantastic shave, huh. I think if more guys can get past the "keep it flat" bunk, more guys will enjoy SE shaving.

I used a Gem Micromatic. The one with a safety bar and the "bullet" TTO knob and an ASR carbon blade that came with it when I purchased it. As far as technique I decided to just use my instincts and ignore all advice. It worked out fine. Not one cut or knick and a close shave.

Well Done!!

That's the best of the Micromatics, IMO. Nice shaver.

-- John Gehman

Just recently began enjoying the SE, (really good shavers).
I to decided to blow off the advice when I saw a post which included 2 sets of instructions contradicting each other. Flat against the face was wrong.

Good job!!:thumbup:

I just picked up a gold Gem Micromatic in almost like-new condition for $10 at a local antique store; now; the question is, where can I find SE blades? I did see that they could be ordered onlline from Walgreens, I believe, but do any national non-internet retailers carry them in stores?

Chances are good that you can find t least one store that carries SE blades. I suggest picking up a phone book and start calling every place that has a pharmacy, as even the big boy national drug stores like Walgreen's seem to be hit and miss as far as blades go. There are three Walgreen's in my town and only one has GEM blades.:rolleyes:

Blades are available, just sometimes harder to find and there seems to be no reviews or other info about what is the difference in blade edge and material constuction of all these blades made by ASR, ie the same factory, most don;t even say coated on non coated on my packets either.
So I can only go by my own experiences.

I liked GEM blue star, smooth shave but doesn't last long as they're not coated. In fact most of them went rusty while unused while still in the box once I opened the packet. :eek:

The GEM by personna is the best of the lot, not the smoothest shave (rougher than the blue stars for me), but they gave my 5 shaves easy and no worries about rust either as they are coated.

The PALs I've tried are not good. I used them with a 1914 and got pretty bad rash. I blamed the razor so the next day I used the day old blade in my damaskeene 1912. It was a horrible blade, tugging and felt blunt already.

The only other ones I tried were the Treet full carbon steel blades, I wasn;t impressed with them either.

So the pick of the bunch for me was the GEM by Personnas, as they lasted a lot longer than the Blue Star (most comfortable but likely to rust and go blunt quickly). The personnas cost the most as they are sold in packs of 5, the others were packs of 10.

Because the personnas aren't cheap, most people buy the Ted Pella blades in a bulk buy of 200 blades. But if you only want to try a GEM razor, get a 5 pack of GEM by personna blades at a chemist.

Last edited:
Chances are good that you can find t least one store that carries SE blades. I suggest picking up a phone book and start calling every place that has a pharmacy, as even the big boy national drug stores like Walgreen's seem to be hit and miss as far as blades go. There are three Walgreen's in my town and only one has GEM blades.:rolleyes:

+1 Walgreens has the Personna variant (10 for about $6) The CVS SE blades are 10 for $4 but the quality is noticeably inferior to the Personnas.

R

rainman

be careful of shipping charges here - I ordered 100 PTFE coated SE's - they fed ex'd 'em! My bad, of course, as I wasn't paying attention (so excited & hot to get the blades) - got them fast, though.

I picked ups ground. They say they would charge actual shipping charges only. Guess I'll see.

Top Bottom