What's new

First restored batch!

Quite recently I got a batch of five straights, dirt cheap, since the seller considered them rubbish and sold them as such. :thumbup1: I got them to see if I could restore them somewhat:

proxy.php

proxy.php

#1 and #4 were, as you can tell, beyond repair, keeping the scales.
#2 Turned out to be a 5/8 C.V. Heljestrand MK 31! Worried about the rust near the edge though, hoping it doesn't go too deep.
#3 Robert Dodge(')s Universally Approved Sheffield Razor, 5/8 and looks like an uneven concave or a muck-up regrind. Still, the steel looks perfectly salvagable.
#5 C.W. Dahlgren Eskilstuna Garanti Prisbelönt 1878.81, 5/8 1/4 hollow with a French point, apart from some staining and minor pitting the cleanest in the lot.

Close-up of the Robert Dodge(')s

proxy.php

I decided not to unpin them, since there was no visible rust around the pivot areas and they were all sitting pretty snug in there (I suspect someone tried to fix them up by sticking them into 'new' scales).
After a progression of 120, 180, 240, 400, 600 and 1200 grit Mirka sand paper and Sonax Chrome & Aluminium paste, they look like this:

proxy.php

(the best picture I could do with a digital 5.0 megapixel camera)

Even though I'm now actually considering going up still a bit from 1200 grit, I am more than pleased about the result, and I sure hope they're all honeable, they look promising :clover:

First a bit more honing practice with my not-so-shiny Clauberg, though. Go me.

:chef:

That's the C.V. Heljestrand Mk 31, the thumb notch makes it very comfortable to hold, can't wait to shave with it.
Very happy I got this lot, so cheap too (€15). I think it was yesterday that a Helje MK 31 went in the B/S/T for $200 - better condition and custom scales though, but still. No way I'm selling it though (in case it works out with honing), since it'll be my first-born.

Top Bottom