What's new

First red wings

Such are the times that there are no longer any local shops that repair shoes. I used to resole my shoes, but now there's no place to get that done.

OTOH, while I badly wore down the soles of my Red Wings, I wore them as around home work boots until the stitching disintegrated.
Redwing does it for about 100$

@Raissermesser Yes! I'm about to start a new job in a foundry and had to get new boots. Like anything could stop a one-ton piece of steel from smashing your foot... at least they look tough, eh? Jeez, I'm finding out just how lucky we are in this neck of the woods. We have a cobbler about eight blocks from our house.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
D58FF816-D153-4D3F-9920-BB764D0983E7.jpeg
Loved my 4 year old 606s so much that I bought a new pair. I need to send the old ones in for a resole so that I can start rotating days. Once the leather breaks in, they feel really good.

Those oldest boots just need a coat of obenaufs and they would be PERFECT.

I'm in the camp of thinking that boots should look worn but well taken care of.
Never tried Obenauf's. These boots are closer to the trash than you probably realize... But they are too dear to toss kind of scenario. I only live 25 miles from Two Harbors if you want to come shine em up for me :001_302:

To all you guys who posted pictures of your new Red Wings, are they all still union made ???....Red Wing near my place sells a load of boots/shoes made in Communist China...

To all you guys who posted pictures of your new Red Wings, are they all still union made ???....Red Wing near my place sells a load of boots/shoes made in Communist China...
The way I understand it, the Irish Setters are currently made overseas. This has changed more than once throughout the years. I have a pair of Setters from maybe five years ago that were made in USA, but I just looked and they don't have the Union bug on the tag, not sure why. I don't think they make their rubber boots or shoes from synthetic materials in MN either for whatever reason. The Union Made ones have the tiny UFCW bug on the tag inside the tongue.
Also FWIW, the last time I visited my local store, they told me they're independently owned and have no connection to the factory other than selling the brand.

The way I understand it, the Irish Setters are currently made overseas. This has changed more than once throughout the years. I have a pair of Setters from maybe five years ago that were made in USA, but I just looked and they don't have the Union bug on the tag, not sure why. I don't think they make their rubber boots or shoes from synthetic materials in MN either for whatever reason. The Union Made ones have the tiny UFCW bug on the tag inside the tongue.
Also FWIW, the last time I visited my local store, they told me they're independently owned and have no connection to the factory other than selling the brand.
interesting..... I was in the UFCW 33 years !

Never tried Obenauf's. These boots are closer to the trash than you probably realize... But they are too dear to toss kind of scenario. I only live 25 miles from Two Harbors if you want to come shine em up for me :001_302:

Obenauf is great but overkill for most. Specifically their heavy duty LP product. It tends to dull the depth of leather and makes it darker. At least temporarily but it takes a long, long time to wear off Obenauf. The stuff does smell great though.

Obenauf is great but overkill for most. Specifically their heavy duty LP product. It tends to dull the depth of leather and makes it darker. At least temporarily but it takes a long, long time to wear off Obenauf. The stuff does smell great though.

I use the LP on my work boots and it is great stuff. I wear them for function rather than fashion so I don't mind the darkening of the leather.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If memory serves, the LP was originally designed for treating the boots of forest fire fighters ... whose boots certainly take a lickin' in daily use. I don't put it on my dress shoes or boots ... Saphir Renovateur instead ... but work boots and some (depending on how casual/dressy) casual shoes get the LP.

Certain boots are still union made from their own leather tannery. The redwing store by me has a shelf of union made in USA boots.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Most of their replaceable soled boot are US made. Like the old commercial said “look for the union label”. After all these years I can still hear that in my head. :)

7C834ED1-06E4-41C5-A0CF-4CD6FE12B886.jpeg

Wiki is kind of wrong. Their US boots are made with US product.

Right - after all, Red Wing owns the tannery that produces the leather. The SB Foot tannery is right down the road.

FWIW - most of RW’s glued shoes are imported; the heritage line and SuperSole work boots are made in Red Wing, MN

Top Bottom