What's new

First real razor

My stepson has turned eighteen, graduated from high school and has started teaching himself to shave with a can of gel and a bag of disposables.

Hearing this, my first thought was to get him a Merkur Barber Pole, silvertip brush, stand, shaving bowl, soap the works. Give this shaving kit when he comes to stay with us this summer, and teach him to shave as my father taught me. Whether he continues using it once he’s left, or not, that’s up to him, but he’d have the tools that could last a life time, the knowledge of how to use them and the option to do so.

I’m rethinking My choice of razor and brush for him now.

Reading about silvertip brushes at B&B, and having never used anything but a bristle brush has me wondering if it’s a good combo with hard soap, or if a pure badger brush might not be a better choice.

Steven is very uncomfortable with the idea of shaving with a straight razor. The wife bought one for us both at Christmas a few years ago, he never removed his from the box and he has never asked about it, this has me wondering if he might not prefer something like a Merkur twin blade razor.

In my opinion, no young man should start what will become a lifetime ritual armed with plastic shavers and a can of goop. I’m still going to put together a shaving kit for him, but I’d rather get something he’d use and enjoy, than leave in a drawer because it might bite.

D.

My stepson has turned eighteen, graduated from high school and has started teaching himself to shave with a can of gel and a bag of disposables.

Hearing this, my first thought was to get him a Merkur Barber Pole, silvertip brush, stand, shaving bowl, soap the works. Give this shaving kit when he comes to stay with us this summer, and teach him to shave as my father taught me. Whether he continues using it once he’s left, or not, that’s up to him, but he’d have the tools that could last a life time, the knowledge of how to use them and the option to do so.

Reading about silvertip brushes at B&B, and having never used anything but a bristle brush has me wondering if it’s a good combo with hard soap, or if a pure badger brush might not be a better choice.

Steven is very uncomfortable with the idea of shaving with a straight razor. The wife bought one for us both at Christmas a few years ago, he never removed his from the box and he has never asked about it, this has me wondering if he might not prefer something like a Merkur twin blade razor.

In my opinion, no young man should start what will become a lifetime ritual armed with plastic shavers and a can of goop. I’m still going to put together a shaving kit for him, but I’d rather get something he’d use and enjoy, than leave in a drawer because it might bite.

D.

I think the kid would be more apt to use a DE than a straight. I've been DE shaving for 6 weeks or so, and I'm still affraid of the straights. The 38c Barber Pole is a great razor. It was my first. I also have the EJ DE89L, and I love it. The Merkur feels slightly more aggressive, maybe the EJ might be better for a beginner?

As for the brush... I would recommend the EJ Best Badger Brush. It works great with soaps and creams. It feels soft enough to me... of course, in everything: YMMV. I also have an Omega 10275 bristle brush. I like it, but I could understand if some find it too small.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. Hope he enjoys it!

It's great that you're trying to "start your son on the right path". I kinda wish my father had started me that way as well. I had the example of Gillette Good News disposables and Foamy cream.

Been DE shaving for a couple of months, and I agree with Hil's' suggestion of an EJ razor...absolutely fantastic razors they make, and I'd imagine it would be good for a young shaver. It's quite mild with a Derby or even an Astra SP blade.

I had the example of Gillette Good News disposables and Foamy cream.

Only time I ever remember my dad shaving with foam from a can was in the 1970’s when this thing came out you plugged into a wall socket, put a can of cream in it and it warmed the can so you could have hot foam, wasn't around more than a month.

Only time I ever remember my dad shaving with foam from a can was in the 1970’s when this thing came out you plugged into a wall socket, put a can of cream in it and it warmed the can so you could have hot foam, wasn't around more than a month.

I had one of those back then! I recall it took a while to warm up and for some reason I quit using it as well. I recall going back to using plain soap and water.

-jim

Any of the razors mentioned would do the young man well. Just as important, is the blade choice. Personna, Astra, Shark, Sharp ... smooth and sharp but not TOO sharp is the best for a beginner.

I can't really make any recommendations on a specific brush. My brush selection is pretty basic and inexpensive ... Tweezerman badger ($15) and Omega Pro ($9) are my "go to" brushes, and I have an Omega Bambino ($9) primarily for travel. For what it's worth, I'm putting together a PIF package for my cousin consisting of a FlairTip SS, Omega Pro brush, half-a-dozen different brands of blades, and a tube of Proraso.

It's great that he has you to mentor him. Don't be surprised though if he tries to blow it (you) off and stick to his disposable at first. That's just part of being 18. (I have an 18 year old HS senior too.) It's his way of (not) saying "that thing scares the heck out of me." :laugh:

Good luck, and enjoy the shaving time with him!

D.

I'd go with a vintage Gillette Adjustable (Slim or Super), a puck of soap, coffee cup and a boar brush. It is low cost, he can select the aggressiveness of the razor and he'll get the flavor of wetshaving from that type of set up. At the end of the summer, you can then drop some more money for a "going away" present of a nicer setup.

I hope it goes well for you.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom