What's new

First Real Lather and (female) DE Shave! Please Critique (pics!)

Hi everyone,

I would firstly like to say I am dedicating this thread to some wonderful people on here who have been so kind to me as a newbie on this site. From being a great source of information, to PIF-ing me some truly amazing things to get me started and for their selfless kindness I can not thank them enough.
John, Tim, Bob and Maher - this one's for you!

I waited patiently for my wonderful Gillette Lady to arrive and it finally came this morning. So I got a few things together (none of them used yet) and grabbed my camera and prepared myself to try and create my first ever lather and have my first DE shave all in one. I should point out now that I'm a lady so I'm shaving my legs in case you wonder what you're looking at in the photos!

Any critique would be helpful as I really want to get better.

So to begin:

I took my new Tweezerman brush, a nice bowl, a Blue Bird blade, Mama Bears Soap (thanks Bob!) and my lovely Gillette Lady (thanks John!).
I put some warm water in the bowl and soaked the brush for a while. I also put some warm water on the soap as I've read that's how you prep it.

1ToolsandPrep.jpg

Step Two:
I squeezed the water out of my brush and poured it out of the bowl and off the soap. I then swooshed the brush on the soap. This was strange as it was like I was lathering on the soap rather than loading it - what's the difference?
Then I put a few drops of water in the bowl and started to build the lather.

2LoadingandLather.jpg

Step Three:
I slowly added a bit more water. I found this part the hardest thing to gauge. I knew I was looking for the egg-white, nicely peaked type of thing but I didn't know if I was adding too much or too little water. I kept going anyway and here's my resulting lather:

3Lather.jpg

I them began to lather up my first leg. The brush felt really nice on my legs though it shed a few (5 or 6) hairs at this stage. The lather wasn't as thick as I thought it would/should be at this stage but it did seem nice. I put it on part of my legs and began to shave. The razor worked MUCH easier than I thought it would and I was so, so happy with it! Better and more fun than a cartridge razor anyday! Once shaved my leg felt a little dry though and also slightly tingly. I went to lather up the next part and found that the lather seemed a little drier at this stage. I added a couple of drops of water and gave it a quick swish in the bowl and it was good again. I ended up doing this before each new section which was fine.
:blushing: Emmm... okay here's the embarressing part. I was just going to write this bit in the Women Shaver's group but heck, as you guys are so open about things here we go: Having been so excited about doing my first DE shave I had been resisting shaving for a while. However I found that this ment that the razor pretty much filled with hair after each run up my leg (or in some parts every second run up). So I had to keep rinsing it under the tap... BUT I had to open the top slightly and rinse it inside and out each time in order to wash out the hair fully - is that normal/okay?

By the time I got onto my second leg I needed to build a bit more lather. I think because I took more time with that one it was a bit better. What do you think?

4LegLathers.jpg

Step Four:
When the shave was done I was very happy, not too much lather left and actually got everywhere. Only one tiny nick near my ankle (a tricky part to shave at the best of times). My legs are smooth, feel very soft and weren't irritated at all.

A few things though:
I applied the lather to my dry legs. Previously when using canned goo I would have wet my legs and built a lather on them with the goo. I think I should wet my legs before lathering with a brush.
I think the next shave will be easier when it's just cutting through stubble. It will also probably have a clearer "line" so I can see where I've shaved already. I could sometimes feel the blade on my legs. I think this was when the lather was a bit too thin... again I think the next shave will be easier.
I did this out of the shower as I wanted to take pictures as I went along. In the future I will probably do this at the start of my shower as it will be easier to rinse etc afterward.
I will take more time building the lather next time. I was a little gung-ho this time!

Any other tips I should take into account?

Oh, yes, and how could I forget? I have to show you...

5Results.jpg

:blushing:

Welcome! Great results, I would say :wink2: Yes, its perfectly fine opening the razor slightly to clear hair and soap build up. At least, I do it as well with my blue-tip super speed, particularly if its been a few days since my last shave. Just be careful not to open it too much and drop the blade somewhere.

I agree with you that the second lathering looks better. Its normal for some brushes to shed a few hairs, especially the first time you use it. I think shaving right from the shower might yield even better result, and the extra moisture will allow your lather to build quicker. Keep up the good work and know you are in good company here.

Congrats!

Looks like you're getting a good start! I personally prefer face lathering (which in your case would be leg lathering) as I feel it's easier to gauge the lather while it is where it's supposed to end up. Also I like the "scrubbing" action of the brush which I believe might be good too in helping to lift some hairs up. You might want to try it and see how it feels.

I haven't been in the game long enough to come with any qualified advice but I would go for a lather somewhere in between your pictures :001_smile

And I think you're right about it being easier with shorter hair. The few times I shaved with longer stubble it was less comfortable and the razor do get clogged up fast.

Can't complain about the result though :biggrin:

Danielle,
As for prep, I shower before I shave and rinse off afterwards. Prep for the hair is important.
My wife uses the Blue Lady Gillette. She takes a bath, lathers and shaves each leg twice (once up and once down) then she rinses both legs in the shower.

She is annoyed as well about rinsing the razor so often but in the razors' defense, that is a lot of hair. So she rinses it under the tap or in the bath water as it is draining. Personally, I make a pass with each side of the razor and then rinse the blade. It is a necessity for a good shave.

I am glad you enjoyed your DE shave!!:thumbsup:

John

PS Definitely not used to seeing Leg shots on this forum, very nice :biggrin1::a47:

Last edited:
I think shaving right from the shower might yield even better result, and the extra moisture will allow your lather to build quicker.

Thanks... yeah I think lather on wet legs will make all the difference.
Thanks for the welcome :)

Looks like you're getting a good start! I personally prefer face lathering (which in your case would be leg lathering) as I feel it's easier to gauge the lather while it is where it's supposed to end up. Also I like the "scrubbing" action of the brush which I believe might be good too in helping to lift some hairs up. You might want to try it and see how it feels.

Thanks... I like using the bowl but I'm sure I'll give leg-lathering a go too...

Can't complain about the result though :biggrin:

*huge blush* :blushing::blushing::blushing:

The second leg lathered (better) photo is what I normally use for my own lather, so it looks like you're on the right track!

Thanks John,
Yeah I should have mentioned I just did one pass against the grain (or "up" if you prefer). I wish I had a bath as it would be the easiest way to shave but unfortunately my house only has a shower.
I think showering and then doing the shave in the shower and then having a final rinse might be the easiest way for me...

And, emmm thanks for the leg comment. I figured I should post the result but honestly I am so embarressed doing it! Maybe I should take more pride in my legs I dunno *mumblemumble* :001_unsur

Danielle,
As for prep, I shower before I shave and rinse off afterwards. Prep for the hair is important.
My wife uses the Blue Lady Gillette. She takes a bath, lathers and shaves each leg twice (once up and once down) then she rinses both legs in the shower.

She is annoyed as well about rinsing the razor so often but in the razors' defense, that is a lot of hair. So she rinses it under the tap or in the bath water as it is draining. Personally, I make a pass with each side of the razor and then rinse the blade. It is a necessity for a good shave.

I am glad you enjoyed your DE shave!!:thumbsup:

John

PS Definitely not used to seeing Leg shots on this forum, very nice

B

bluefoxicy

And, emmm thanks for the leg comment. I figured I should post the result but honestly I am so embarressed doing it! Maybe I should take more pride in my legs I dunno *mumblemumble* :001_unsur

Guys stare, girls don't. Good results are often more embarrassing than bad for girls, from what I've seen.

Although that pose was enough to make me squirm. CUTE! This whole post is a biiiiit more personal than I'm used to being with girls :confused1 ... not to mention you did a better job than I've been doing lately with the lather *grumbles something about hard water*

Thanks Spivey!
I love those shoes too... I do swing dancing and they are great for when I'm doing a more vintage look. Unfortunately though I can't dance in them :(

And thanks to Whosyerbob - hopfully my lather will keep getting better with more practice

This whole post is a biiiiit more personal than I'm used to being with girls :confused1 ... not to mention you did a better job than I've been doing lately with the lather *grumbles something about hard water*

Thanks for the lather compliment Bluefoxicy! I read up quite a bit on this forum before today so its nice to know I'm on the right track.
And emmm, sorry if my post was too personal. I'm not really sure what that means but :001_unsur

Well, it is hard to deny good results!

Just keep in mind that you want lather to do two things:
-provide a slippery surface on your skin so the razor doesn't drag/skip
-hydrate the hair, making it fatter and easier to cut

Although it sounds redundant, reapplying lather two or more times to the same area, prior to shaving, may not add to the glide, but can further hydrate the hair to allowing the humectant to attract more moisture into the core of the hair.

It like to make the analaogy of cutting butter. Cold butter is not easy cut with any blade. But allow it to come to room temperature and you can get a good cut with nearly any blade. Now, the skipping, that is a different matter...

Anyway, great job on your first DE shave!

Thanks for the advice John. I spent more time on the second leg so I think that's why the lather was a bit better and thicker.

Does anyone think I was maybe loading my brush wrong in the first place? should I be getting more soap on it?

Thanks for sharing your experience! I've been coaxing my wife into DE shaving. I just gave her a shave two days ago and it was great. She really enjoyed the experience and her legs were really smooth after I finished. I will definitely have her take a look at your post for encouragement.

Also, you did a great job for your first time. You can try leg lathering as suggested previously. Don't be shy to load your brush up really well. Shaving soap is cheap and can you really have too much (as long as you give it enough water)?

Great Job! +1 on the above advice....especially applying lather to wet skin!. I've been in a hurry and applied lather to my dry face...one swipe and I knew that wouldn't work for me! Great Job!!

cc

Does anyone think I was maybe loading my brush wrong in the first place? should I be getting more soap on it?

I'm definitely no expert (my lather still isn't that great), but it sounds like maybe your brush was too wet. You should squeeze it out and flick it a couple times so that it is just damp. Then when you are rubbing it on your soap puck, you are generating a thicker soap 'paste', rather than foam. Once you get your brush nice and loaded with the paste, then you can take it to your bowl and work it and add water as needed. I'd also say don't be afraid to take your time loading the brush.. since you are shaving a much larger area, you are going to need a bit more lather, so make sure it's nice and loaded.

Either way, I think you did a great job for your first time and the results speak for themselves.

The lather on the second leg certainly looks richer, and more like an adequate shaving lather.

Both legs together though look pretty superb. I don't think you should be ashamed of your legs, I bet you get plenty of admiring looks from men young, and old. :drool::drool:

Thanks for sharing your experience! I will definitely have her take a look at your post for encouragement.

Also, you did a great job for your first time. You can try leg lathering as suggested previously. Don't be shy to load your brush up really well.

Thanks DJSneak. I hope your wife does make the switch and I'm glad I could help. Once I get the hang of it I'm sure it won't take me much long than the old way did and this way is so much more fun. I love opening my razor and putting the blade in. And it saves on so much waste. It's much nicer to hold something metal than a gaudy piece of plastic.

I'm definitely no expert (my lather still isn't that great), but it sounds like maybe your brush was too wet.

Yeah in retrospect I think you may be very right! I did squeeze out the brush but maybe not enough. It did seem like I was building lather on the soap rather than taking it up into the bristles.

Both legs together though look pretty superb. I don't think you should be ashamed of your legs, I bet you get plenty of admiring looks from men young, and old. :drool::drool:

:blushing: Thanks John. Maybe I'm just a bit shy. I VERY rarely wear any kind of skirt and when I do I tend to wear thick black tights so to BARE my bare legs (heehee) in the photo here was quite unnerving for me. I used to be more confident about them but a bit of weight here and there over the last two years I guess has given my confidence a knock.

The compliments on here are flattering though so thank you everyone :)

Welcome and it is so nice to see your way ahead of most of us guys when we first started...
Stay the course but have mercy some of us live alone:wink2:....Just teasing and once again welcome...
Enjoy the site....

sorry. I wrote something about taking the last picture down but I realised that was kind of silly and I'm just being shy and strange.
*mental note to self - work on accepting compliments*

Last edited:
Top Bottom