What's new

First Real Lather and (female) DE Shave! Please Critique (pics!)

Good job on your first DE shave!

My wife is getting close to giving it a try. I heard her cursing her multibladed monster in the shower the other day. She said something like "this stupid thing STINKS!" So I said, "Maybe you'll have to try one of my old-school razors," and her answer, much to my surprise, was "Well, get one ready for me!"

That's how fed up she had become of the multibladed monster.

Don't forget that rite of passage, Mussgo.

Rite of passage?!? sounds scary... it there some kind of initiation ritual I need to go through ???

experiences. Apparently Cremo Cream is great for shaving legs. It can be used without a brush, too.

Thanks for the tip! I do believe I was PIF-ed a sample of this so I'll give it a go!

http://www.c25k.com/

This should knock your confidence back up a notch. And also make your legs look even better in general, and then you won't have any excuse to not wear skirts! :001_tt1:

Hee heee... thanks for the suggestion but me and running don't go. I have asthma. Which is strange as I can dance for hours and hours (I do swing dancing) and still have energy but put me on a treadmill or have me run for 3 mins and I can't breathe!

Don't feel you have to live up to the stick-figure image of women that the media has been selling us.:glare: Real men like real women with curves! My wife has curves and I am glad of it!:001_tt1::thumbup:

Dave

Thanks Dave :001_smile I completely agree that women should have healthy body images... I just have to work on my confidence.

Thanks to everyone else for the nice comments about liking curvier women!

Congrats on venturing into the wet-shave world - I shave my legs (yes, I'm a male and I have no qualms with my leg shaving) and have been doing it for the past few summers; I've tried everything short of my straight razor to get a less irritating shave. I've decided to just keep shaving my legs this winter because as a cyclist and weightlifter, I'm proud of my legs and having them become hairy once again would feel demotivating. I guess it's a cyclist thing.

Anyway, I'm surprised by how many women shave with a DE here. I started out with a mach 3 and soap, fooled around with shaving cream, fooled around with DE's (a ladies model and a regular old Merkur), used a Fusion this summer (but stopped because the blades were so expensive) and now I'm back to the Mach 3 and soap (I know, blasphemy). However, closeness is not paramount to me most of the time and my girlfriend rarely complains that my legs are getting too scratchy if i haven't shaved my legs for a few days.

She also uses a Fusion and whatever soap is in her shower and gets amazing results and also rarely changes her blade (until i explain that the razorburn she's getting is due do the blade). So, to each their own. I somehow spend too much time when shaving my legs as it is without whipping up shaving cream or using a DE.

Just curious, how often do you go between shaves using a DE?

One thing's for sure, you've most certainly got smoother legs than mine.

Hi Ben!
It's fascinating to get a point of view on leg shaving from a man.
Up until my first DE shave there a couple of days ago (Shaved on Monday, didn't shave yesterday and didn't shave today[wed]) I was using a Gillette Venus and just some canned goo. The result were fine, the blades lasted ages and I never got razor burn. In fact, had I not started my barber training its unlikely I would have tried anything else.

But even though I've only have one DE shave I've noticed the difference already! With the Venus my legs would start to feel stubbley pretty much the following day.
With the DE, at the end of my third day I'm only now starting to feel any real stubble, so I will most likely shave again tomorrow morning. Not only that but my legs also feel much softer. The skin itself is softer and wasn't dry after the shave let it used to be with the goo. I put this down to the shaving soap and use of a brush.

I also like the physical process of DE shaving more. And I LOVE the fact that it is better for the enviroment. The ingredients of the soaps are more natural and I'm using a durable piece of metal... not an icky piece of plastic.

I've yet to see how quickly I will go through blades though. I'll do my shave tomorrow the the same blade as my first shave and see it it holds up to a second go. The legs are a lot more surface area than a face!

I wonder if any of the other ladies on here might be able to tell me how long they get out of their blades??

To answer your question, how long I will go between shaves will purely depend on how often I feel like shaving, a bit of stubble doesn't bother me as I rarely show my legs! With DE shaves though I would like to shave more often as I enjoy it but actually feel as though my legs will need shaving less often!!!

I know that answer is vague but I'll only know better as I shave more.
Sorry!

Perhaps I'll give the DE another shot. I stopped shaving against the grain on my thighs because for some reason it gives me razorburn and ingrown hairs just about every time I do it. However, a sharper blade might be the answer. Unfortunately for my shaving, but fortunately for me, I have very defined, muscular legs, which makes using a pivoting-head razor like the mach 3 a little safer for me when navigating the inside of my shins and my calves, not to mention my knees.

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread - while it's easy for me to just get by with a very fast shave that doesn't get very close, there's something about hopping into bed with clean sheets and perfectly smooth legs that only those who have experienced it can appreciate - even better when the bed has a pretty girl in it who also has smooth legs, but that's another thread altogether. I'll give the next shave a try with the DE on most of my legs and report back.

there's something about hopping into bed with clean sheets and perfectly smooth legs that only those who have experienced it can appreciate

COMPLETELY!!! :thumbup:
I like the sound of your legs already. And yeah, I can image the muscle definition must make it much harder...
good thing my legs aren't too muscle-y (never thought I'd say that! :tongue: )

If you're going to give it any other shot then make sure it's the best shot you've got ... a good blade, good soap, good technique and enough time not to rush it.
(lol - look at me... talking as if I know what it's all about!)

I look forward to hearing back from you!

B

bluefoxicy

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread - while it's easy for me to just get by with a very fast shave that doesn't get very close, there's something about hopping into bed with clean sheets and perfectly smooth legs that only those who have experienced it can appreciate - even better when the bed has a pretty girl in it who also has smooth legs, but that's another thread altogether. I'll give the next shave a try with the DE on most of my legs and report back.

You are both disturbing me and inciting me to attempt shaving my legs.

If you're going to give it any other shot then make sure it's the best shot you've got ... a good blade, good soap, good technique and enough time not to rush it.
(lol - look at me... talking as if I know what it's all about!)

I reread your initial post; we both have the same razor (Lady Gillette with champagne colored stars)! I'm not to proud to say that since it was the only one we had around when I became interested in wetshaving, it's the one I learned to shave my face with, too. I suppose it's the one I'll try with tomorrow. This is honestly the first time I've been excited to shave my legs this year. :thumbup1:

You are both disturbing me and inciting me to attempt shaving my legs.

Give it a shot if you don't mind others having incredulous reactions (if you tell them). If you have a beard trimmer, I'd trim it down short before shaving. Otherwise, it will take forever and clog the blade with every few inches you move it. But, if you don't like it, it may take a while to grow back to full length.

Wow Barber-Elie, you have amazing legs! You've inspired me to try "old-school" leg shaving. I started waxing while I was in Beauty School, but there are those in-between times when a good shave comes in handy.

Kim

Guys stare, girls don't. Good results are often more embarrassing than bad for girls, from what I've seen.

Although that pose was enough to make me squirm. CUTE! This whole post is a biiiiit more personal than I'm used to being with girls :confused1 ... not to mention you did a better job than I've been doing lately with the lather *grumbles something about hard water*

Thats just bad.......... unless you are a girl??? Then that's fine....

The OPP was brilliant, all the girls I've chatted to about shaving (usually when they ask why I have a big cut or scrape on my chin.... grrr I will get it -ONE DAY!), think it's exclusively a boys thing.... but I tell them nope girls use DE's too... and the bemused look is a classic!

Well done (and very brave, not sure I'd want to try it on my legs :D Then again I'd have to trim them first :lol:). And yes it will be easier with shorter hair, if I go too long (5-6 days) without shaving it pulls and just plain "stings", but a quick buzz with a trimmer and your good to go....

WELL DONE :D

Tom

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I missed that thread completely... Good work!!

I won't show any artwork on my legs, I have a few patches since July when I tried a straight to see if it was shave ready...

My girlfriend uses a Feather "Popular" DE with 7 O'Clock yellow pack blades and a Wilkinson Sword boar brush (she's loving the money savings). That DE has a long handle, is a TTO, it's inexpensive, and not aggressive. It's safe, but with a sharp blade it does a good job. She's never been afraid of cutting herself with this DE. Just thought I'd add to the female gear list (gear my gf likes, anyway).

-Andy

Last edited:
Congratulations on your success with DE leg shaving.

I wanted to say one other thing, your lather bowl is really cute!

Congrats on having a great experience with a DE and traditional lather! I've been trying to convert my wife over to the DE, but so far have only managed to get her to stop exclusively using super fast ATG passes. Hopefully, if I show her your amazing results she will be one step closer to being converted. I should probably crop out your shoes though, as my wife will probably want to find her own pair.:001_rolle

I understand what you mean about taking a compliment. My wife always feels more embarrassed by compliments about her looks than flattered. Then again, modesty is always more attractive than an inflated ego.

Quick question; is there anything you would recommend to relieve dry, itchy legs after shaving? My wife almost always ends up incessantly scratching about 10 minutes after a shave. She has tried using witch hazel and several different lotions (St. Ives is the most recent one I remember), but nothing seems to work all that well. I know it's not a hot water issue as she hates hot water.

Again, congrats on the the positive experience and job well done.

Quick question; is there anything you would recommend to relieve dry, itchy legs after shaving? My wife almost always ends up incessantly scratching about 10 minutes after a shave. She has tried using witch hazel and several different lotions (St. Ives is the most recent one I remember), but nothing seems to work all that well. I know it's not a hot water issue as she hates hot water.

It sounds like she might be allergic to one of the products she uses. Has she tried using one of your after shave lotions that you use on your face? Right now I am using the Avalon Organics Lavender Daily Moisturizing cream. A little bit goes a long way and it works wonders.

Top Bottom