What's new

First Razor: R89 or Fatip Gentile?

Next week I'll be getting either the R89 or Fatip Gentile as my first DE razor.
I don't have a particularly heavy growth, however I shave every 5-6 days which makes me lean towards the Fatip Gentile, for-from what I could surmise from some other posts-it's believed to be bit more aggressive than the R89.
Which one should I go for and should I be worried about blade alignment issues on the Gentile?

Thank you for your help.

I think the Gentile is super mild, in fact I add a shim when I use it. The materials used in the Gentile are far more durable, but the R89 is probably a better razor head. However, if you are interested, Maggard has a combo head pack where you can buy a great handle and 4 different heads for a low package price. One head is an R89 clone, another more aggressive, one is open comb and the other a slant. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way other than I've purchased from them.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Next week I'll be getting either the R89 or Fatip Gentile as my first DE razor.
I don't have a particularly heavy growth, however I shave every 5-6 days which makes me lean towards the Fatip Gentile, for-from what I could surmise from some other posts-it's believed to be bit more aggressive than the R89.
Which one should I go for and should I be worried about blade alignment issues on the Gentile?

Thank you for your help.

Welcome to the forum!

I personally would buy a Fatip over any other DE, but thats me.

I havent used a Gentile but I'll never part with my Grande. Fatip razors, once learned are incredibly smooth, comfortable and close shaving.

Maggard has the Piccolo Sp.Ed. in stock. You get both the Gentile and the OC head.

Fatip Piccolo Special Edition Nickel Finish DE Safety Razor, Includes Two Heads | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

I think the Gentile is super mild, in fact I add a shim when I use it. The materials used in the Gentile are far more durable, but the R89 is probably a better razor head. However, if you are interested, Maggard has a combo head pack where you can buy a great handle and 4 different heads for a low package price. One head is an R89 clone, another more aggressive, one is open comb and the other a slant. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way other than I've purchased from them.

Thank you for the swift reply, but I'm currently residing in Istanbul, Turkey and it seems Maggard doesn't ship here. For me it seems like it's going to be an either R89 or Fatip Gentile

Thank you for the swift reply, but I'm currently residing in Istanbul, Turkey and it seems Maggard doesn't ship here. For me it seems like it's going to be an either R89 or Fatip Gentile
understood. I really like the Fatip Open comb razors as opposed to the Gentile head (my preference), but as @Esox said, overall, I prefer the Fatip brand.

Welcome to the forum!

I personally would buy a Fatip over any other DE, but thats me.

I havent used a Gentile but I'll never part with my Grande. Fatip razors, once learned are incredibly smooth, comfortable and close shaving.

Maggard has the Piccolo Sp.Ed. in stock. You get both the Gentile and the OC head.

Fatip Piccolo Special Edition Nickel Finish DE Safety Razor, Includes Two Heads | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. Yes, the problem is Maggard doesn't ship to Istanbul so I have to choose from these two razors.

I'd love to choose the Fatip Gentile over the R89 but frankly I'm afraid of being bogged down by bad alignment issues mentioned by many, as this is going to be my very first DE. Does the Gentile have any chronic issues that I should know of? And do you think it would give a much more efficient shave compared to the r89? Again, thank you so much for your help.

I've read comments of alignment issues, I have both the open comb and Gentile head from Fatip and neither have any issues.

I've read comments of alignment issues, I have both the open comb and Gentile head from Fatip and neither have any issues.

Good to know! From some of the comments I gathered that it's become a hit-or-miss thing, negligent QA more than anything.

You will never go wrong with any of the razors. I have the Fatip Gentile. It is really nice. I wouldn't fear the alignment rumors at all.

You will never go wrong with any of the razors. I have the Fatip Gentile. It is really nice. I wouldn't fear the alignment rumors at all.

Thank you for the feedback! Do you think it'd be an appropriate DE to learn the angles and technique from scratch?

Fatip all the way. The best shave from a DE89 isn't nearly as good as an average shave from the Gentile...I have both and have used both.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fatip all the way. The best shave from a DE89 isn't nearly as good as an average shave from the Gentile...I have both and have used both.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good to hear! Any burdensome blade alignment issues with it?

Pass on the Gentile and go for the Piccolo or Grande, or a Retro if you see one. Don't be afraid of the open comb versions - these are the Fatips we all use and love. As has been said, they're smoother than you may imagine and nothing to be afraid of. Much better razor, made of brass. I have two and zero alignment issues. I think Fatip went through a period of mediocre construction but then they re-tooled, and the latest ones have been good.

Welcomed to B&B.
The Fatip razors are all brass construction and alignment issues on the MK2 are less of an issue. The Gentile gives a nice shave. The nickel finish is better than the black chrome.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thank you so much for the warm welcome. Yes, the problem is Maggard doesn't ship to Istanbul so I have to choose from these two razors.

I'd love to choose the Fatip Gentile over the R89 but frankly I'm afraid of being bogged down by bad alignment issues mentioned by many, as this is going to be my very first DE. Does the Gentile have any chronic issues that I should know of? And do you think it would give a much more efficient shave compared to the r89? Again, thank you so much for your help.

You're welcome. Either of the other shops should ship to Turkey, being in the EU.

As far as blade alignment, it's only an issue if you make it one in my opinion. Some see it as a problem, others like myself do not. Any razor with alignment pins such as Fatip, Gillette Old Types, Merkur 34C ect may need the blade aligned. There is a trick to that though...

Break the razor down and lay the cap on something soft, I use a folded tissue. Lay the blade on the cap then gently lay the base on the blade. With two fingertips, hold the alignment pins so you dont disturb either the base or the blade and gently screw the handle on. When the handle is snug, lift the razor and check the blade. Keep the handle only tight enough to allow the blade to move under pressure from your fingers on the tabs, if, it needs aligning. If the handle is too tight the blade wont adjust. If the handle is too loose, it will be difficult to make stay aligned. 8 out of 10 times when I load mine like that its perfect.

Turkey by the way makes one of my top 3 blades, Derby Extra. A Derby Extra in my Grande is a fantastic shave.

Depending on your growth the Fatip may have one issue. It has a tiny gap compared to the R89. So if you like to mow down a ton of multi day stubble the R89 may be a better choice.YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom