What's new

First R41 Shave - Best Shave Ever

But I did pay a small price in irritation. I'm a relative newbie here on B&B, but at 64 years old am not a new shaver. I returned to DE about 9 months ago.

Received my new R-41 from Connaught yesterday ($37 including shipping); 11 days after placing the order. I used it for the first time this morning for my "Sunday go to meetin'" shave. Prepped with a hot shower and my home made pre-shave oil. Face lathererd using Opus 1870 from a tube and gave this bad boy a whirl. Connaught sent a 5 pack of Gillette 7 O'clocks (yellows) with the razor so I loaded it up with one of them.

I treated the R41 with the respect it deserved - slow short strokes. Wow, what feedback from the sound of the blade taking off the whiskers. I did feel some irritation on second pass - probably need to take more care on the re-lathering. Only two small nicks on a usual trouble spot on the side of my chin. I really need to pull the skin over there to smooth out some 64 year old wrinkles. So the nicks were not the fault of the razor - more user error. With this blade exposure I really had to take my time and be extra mindful of the no pressure rule.

I usually do four passes. After two with the R-41 I was feeling a bit of irritation (but a smooth shave) on all but the sides of my cheek so I did a 3rd pass (ATG) on the cheeks and nowhere else.

Final result is outstanding. I have never had a face this smooth after adolesence. I hit the face with Witch Hazel and that pretty much took care of the nicks (no styptic required). Quite a bit of burn all over my face with application of Pinaud A/S. Nivea balm quieted that down though. I'm thinking I won't need to shave again until Wednesday!

All in all, I am extremely happy with the results (BBS to the max). Maybe with time and experience with the R-41 I will feel more comfortable and relaxed. For now, though it takes a lot of concentration and slowing down to keep my face in one piece. Final decision will depend on my comfort level going forward. This was more like work than the fun I've been having with Fat Boy and Slim. This is not a razor I will be using for my 5 am going to work shave.

Welcome to the forums! Yes the R41 gives some fantastic shaves, but as you say, it deserves a lot of respect. It can be your best friend, or a hungry beast.:yikes:
For me as a daily shaver it can get a little intense so I alternate with a Merkur 12C. Still with a good blade (PermaSharp, Persona Med prep, etc.) it gives a very good shave. :thumbup:

congrats! both for the razor and the shave. it sure is not an easy razor to tame, but R41 been giving me great shave too. :thumbup1:

The R41 2011 is my all-time favorite razor in 40+ years of DE shaving. I have one for daily use, and one safely tucked away in a presentation case if I ever need it.
$R41 case.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that has got to be the coolest case i have seen, good things never seem to last :-(

Don't worry. It is not that good things never last, it is that good things at a great price don't last. You will see this product again, at twice the price. Mark my words.

Codfish,
THIS IS NOT FUNNY !
Was that from the site I just posted? If so, it is definitely NOT. Let me know. I have some sources I can call on.

UPDATE: I checked it out. You're right. I know of some German websites and a few people at Mühle. I'm checking availability, but it's well after midnight there. I'll post results as soon as.

Last edited:
Top Bottom