What's new

First post

Hi Guys, 1st post here and just looking for some advice. I've recently went back to using a DE Safety Razor and I'm now really enjoying shaving after hating it for years.
I shave the night before, so I'm not rushing it in the morning. Triple shave on a Sunday night and single shave all other nights.
I'm using an Edwin Jagger DE 89 with Astra SP blades, a silver tip badger brush and Edwin Jagger soap.
Should I be using a hot face towel before shaving or a Pre shave oil, or both?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys, 1st post here and just looking for some advice. I've recently went back to using a DE Safety Razor and I'm now really enjoying shaving after hating it for years.
I shave the night before, so I'm not rushing it in the morning. Triple shave on a Sunday night and single shave all other nights.
I'm using an Edwin Jagger DE 89 with Astra SP blades, a silver tip badger brush and Edwin Jagger soap.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to B&B.
I think using a preshave and or hot face towel is a matter of personal preference. Personally I hold a hot wash cloth to my face prior to shaving. I don’t use oil but do use other pre shaves. I happen to like it and as I said it’s personal preference. I think old school barbers used hot towels for a reason. It feels good, softens the whiskers and is part of the traditional ritual. If you have the time go for it.
At the end of the day there are no hard fast rules!
Some might say if you shave right out of the shower a hot face cloth is redundant but I like it anyway.

Preshave oil/cream doesn’t really do anything that a hot facecloth won’t in MY opinion.

I really like Proraso preshave, but it doesn’t help give me a better shave than just washing my face with hot water a couple of times.

Use whatever makes you happy but I would try a preshave to see if it helps in any way. Some folks wpswear by ice cold water only as well.

Welcome to B&B and let us know what works best!

Welcome. Personally, I just use hot water splash, or I shave after a shower. However, a hot towel for a minute or two will certainly make for a more enjoyable shave, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The main thing is to get your whiskers hydrated. There's several ways to go about it. A nice long shower, a dedicated pre-shave soap, even just lathering up and leaving it on for two or three minutes and then lathering again before shaving.

My favorite pre-shave is the PAA Cube v2.0. It's not expensive, lasts a long time, works great and boosts your shaving soap lather. There's even a cool menthol version which is great for hot weather -- add menthol to any soap you already have!

Glad you've joined, welcome! The only prep I use before I shave is a hot shower. I tried pre-shave products but have settled on what works for me, which is a nice shower immediately before I shave.

Welcome. I just take a hot shower and then leave the first lather on the face for a minute or so before shaving. The best post shave for me is if I shower after shaving but the shave itself is not as enjoyable without the shower first.

Welcome to B&B!

I shower before I shave and that is my only pre shave activity. I tried pre shave oils and such in the past but didn't find they added anything to my shave. That being said, give them a try as they might be beneficial to your shave!

Welcome to B&B. I have tried both and no don't do either. I just wash my face and splash my face with warm water. Try both and neither and see what works best for you.

Thanks in advance.
WELCOME!
It depends. I am older and no longer use hot water on my face and the top of my head. Using lukewarm water is good for me and reduces irritation, sensitivity, and underlying inflammation and dryness.
Usually I shower the rest of my body with warmer/hotter water and after the shower immediately apply Proraso red or Trumper Skin Food to my face while preparing lather.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks in advance.

Sir, hot towels and hot water are both excellent pre-shave treatments and all you really need. Oils are not necassary IMHO. Welcome to B&B. :001_smile

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to B&B, a place where everything is YMMV, so take whatever anyone says with a (big) grain of salt.

If you are not experiencing any issues, like skin irritation, razor burn, etc... STICK to your routine and don't change anything.

FWIW, I don't use wet-towel, nor any preshave, but that's me. Many people do and swear by it, so it's another YMMV.

Some folks put Pesto sauce as pre-shave as it contains Olive Oil and fresh herbs and they say it feels great. Go figure...

Top Bottom