What's new

First post, what have I gotten myself into?

Cannot see the attachment but any carbon steel blades are unlikely to be useable, some of the stainless steel blades can be used depending on how carefully they have been stored.
In relation to straight razors, that opens another hobby of honing and stropping which you will find in the straight razor section.
Ok I think I fixed the picture in my last post, but the blades are as follows if it still doesn’t show up;

x5 Minora blades, made in Canada, still in sleeves (with no box).

x8 Wilkinson Sword “Swordmaster” made in England blades in their sleeves (one of which has been opened) in original box.

x5 Wilkinson Sword “Super Sword Edge” made in England blades in their sleeves in original box.

And a newer pack of Gillette Plus, only 4 left.

Hi,

This is the Bunny:

RabbitHole.jpg

His name is Ad. As in Acquisition Disorder.

He is in charge of many. Razors, Brushes, Soaps, etc.

He munches on the lettuce in your wallet as you follow him down his many holes.

Cute little guy, isn't he?

Stan

Haha yes my dad and brother were very skeptical when I mentioned safety razors, telling me I’ll hack my face up, but I am undeterred. So far anyway... 🤣
Only been doing this a year. Only nicked myself once. Occasional weepers. I have a goatie, so I dont have to worry about mustache or chin. Good luck and welcome to B&B

Welcome, sir! Good luck on your journey. Lots of fine folk here that can provide a ton of good advice! Keep us posted.

I will keep you all posted on my progress as I clean these up and start using them, as well as any new additions. (you know it’s going to happen 🤣)
Ok well I got sort of distracted for a while (like, a year 😳) and I still haven't used any of these razors yet, but wouldn't you know it two more showed up at the antique shop so for another $25 I now have a fat handle Canadian Gold Tech and a Slim Adjustable! Really need to get motivated and order some blades...
IMG_0981.JPG

Ok well I got sort of distracted for a while (like, a year 😳) and I still haven't used any of these razors yet, but wouldn't you know it two more showed up at the antique shop so for another $25 I now have a fat handle Canadian Gold Tech and a Slim Adjustable! Really need to get motivated and order some blades...View attachment 1814150
Both are excellent razors. Personally I like the tech over the slim. GSBs work well with both of them for me

A very belated welcome to B&B from me to you. We are so glad to have you. You certainly have stepped in it now, but as you accurately stated it is certainly cheaper than cars, boats, motorcycles etc etc. I saw that you had a few blades and you were looking at getting some. I would say get a few different ones so you can test a few. However, when you start out you might not want to have too much variability either. You mentioned that the Tech was your favorite of the razors that you have and that is a very solid choice.

Now you do not have to wait for the blades to arrive you already had some blades I read in your thread here and the Gillette Minoras would certainly work quite well to get acquainted with your razor. Did you end up with some soap/cream and a brush? If not just get some proraso shave cream or palmolive shave cream and an inexpensive synthetic brush from your favorite online or local store and just try it out. Just like it was said earlier. Go very lightly and slowly and you will be fine. There are loads of information here on B&B regarding all aspects of shaving and we are all here to help you when you have questions. Again we are glad to have you with us.

ExtremelyDanger

Curious what do you shave with now?

Life does come first and there are priorities. Don’t rush.
Have you began your journey?
What razor and blade combo have you decided on?
What have you experienced so far.
Go at your own pace.

I am about three years in. I shave only with single razors. I noticed you have two SE razors:
-the micromatic
-the shovel head

For now I would recommend staying away from them until you feel comfortable with your DE razors and with your technique.

As you know there are many YouTube videos you can watch to learn and better your technique from. I would recommend watching Geofatboy. If you haven’t already. He is well respected on this forum.

Curious what do you shave with now?
Ive always used some cheap ones from the local store, I think they're Gillette sensor2's and occasionally some knockoffs. Gets the job done but definitely nothing glamorous haha. I don't usually have to shave much more than once a week.

Now you do not have to wait for the blades to arrive you already had some blades I read in your thread here and the Gillette Minoras would certainly work quite well to get acquainted with your razor. Did you end up with some soap/cream and a brush?
Ok I was worried they'd be too old to be usable but I'll give them another look, thanks!
I don't have a brush or soap yet, the options are a little overwhelming for an indecisive person like me 😂😂

Ive always used some cheap ones from the local store, I think they're Gillette sensor2's and occasionally some knockoffs. Gets the job done but definitely nothing glamorous haha. I don't usually have to shave much more than once a week.

Ok I was worried they'd be too old to be usable but I'll give them another look, thanks!
I don't have a brush or soap yet, the options are a little overwhelming for an indecisive person like me 😂😂
If you like the Minoras they still make them. Hmmm not sure if those are out of Russia too so depending on where you live they may be difficult to procure, but they should be fine blades.

Alright being indecisive around here wont do it. Here you go...... I picked it for you. If you are in CONUS or Canada that is. Simple RazoRock synthetic with some Proraso Shaving Cream (Blue) and you are good to go for about $23. Now if you get up to $60 you get free shipping just saying, but that is all you need to really get going. You can just rob the kitchen for a bowl as a lathering bowl or you can go straight face lathering. Easy peasey.....

RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/brushes/products/razorock-plissoft-synthetic-shaving-brush
(Blue Tube) Proraso Shaving Cream - Aloe and Vitamin - Hydrating and P – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/shaving-creams/products/proraso-aloe-and-vitamin-e-shaving-cream-tube

Alright being indecisive around here wont do it. Here you go...... I picked it for you. If you are in CONUS or Canada that is. Simple RazoRock synthetic with some Proraso Shaving Cream (Blue) and you are good to go for about $23. Now if you get up to $60 you get free shipping just saying, but that is all you need to really get going. You can just rob the kitchen for a bowl as a lathering bowl or you can go straight face lathering. Easy peasey.....

RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/brushes/products/razorock-plissoft-synthetic-shaving-brush
(Blue Tube) Proraso Shaving Cream - Aloe and Vitamin - Hydrating and P – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/shaving-creams/products/proraso-aloe-and-vitamin-e-shaving-cream-tube
Thanks, I have now placed an order. 👍

Geez now you're making me self conscious! 😂
I currently moving and have my other razors and the older blades packed up so I likely won't have anything to report for a few days, but I'll be back later, licking my wounds... 😂
Slow and steady wins the race. Don't use pressure and let the razor do the work. Work on technique. Look at the wiki here or watch a few YouTube videos for guidance. Geofatboy has great videos.

You'll be just fine in due time.

Geez now you're making me self conscious! 😂
I currently moving and have my other razors and the older blades packed up so I likely won't have anything to report for a few days, but I'll be back later, licking my wounds... 😂
You complete your move and get settled and we will be here waiting waiting waiting for the anticipated shave.....LOL. You take your time get into your new place and we will be looking forward to your first steps into DE shaving.

Top Bottom