What's new

First post and razor recommendation

Hi everyone

I was searching for tips on how to clean my razor from built up soap residue the other day and stumbled on the B&B forum by accident. This is really a great place!

I've been whet-shaving for 15 years or so but started using a safety razor about three years ago. Back then I had some issues with ingrown hairs and looking back the safety razor has really made a big difference giving me a nicer shave.

The kit I use is an edwin jagger badger brush and a merkur 34c with feather blades. This has been a really good start but I find the merkur to be way to gentle and normally need 4 passes to get a clean shave. I find the merkur de travel razor to be way more aggressive but too small to use on a daily basis. Do you have any suggestions on a new razor about the aggressiveness as the travel razor? (and please don't say a 1930's gilette new. I'm not really in to ebay since the hunting takes a lot of time and you never know what you end up with)

Cheers

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. If the travel razor pleases you, why not get a longer handle for it? The head must be a standard size to accommodate a razor blade, and almost all razors will take a standard handle. You could probably get a nice Classic or Bulldog handle from Weber razors to fit it, or you could use the handle from the Merkur 34c.

Hi,

thanks for the welcome and rapid replies! -This must be the fastest and friendliest forum I've visited yet!

Thanks for the tip on weber - I will certainly look into their razors!

I had no idea that the merkur heads were identical! They behave very different from each other so I simply assumed that they were of different design. The blade feels more enclosed in the 34c and more exposed with the travel razor.

@xxvaleria, adding another handle to the travel razor is an interesting idea! The 34c will probably be difficult to use as a handle since the entire head doesn't come off but any 3 or 4 piece razor should do the trick.

Hello and welcome. As you have already learned, B&B is a great forum with the most friendly, helpful shavers to be found.

Great replies from our members......keep us posted on what you do or switch up on. The handle suggestion is recommended as an alternative to another razor.

You have a lot of wet-shaving experience. I would recommend a Slant Razor as your next step up the aggression razor food chain

Welcome to the forum! If you want a more aggressive razor, you could try an adjustable; Merkur Progress, Futur or an older Gillette such as the Fatboy or Slims.

There are lots of good suggestions here, (I'm glad i read your whole post I would swear by the New lol) but anyways, I haven't personally used many razors but from what I understand is either a Webber (whole razor or hand for your travel) or maybe a Muhle would go well

hi

thanks for the replies and additional recommendations!
Since i prefer to have my whet bag intact at all times i will need a new razor anyways, either a new one or a handle and a new travel razor to replace the old one in my whet bag.

I was originally considering the merkur progress but am open for new ideas and with so many shavers being happy with their slants, that might be a good alternative. It looks really scary though!

On a scale from 1 to 10 in aggressiveness, where would you place the slant, the 34c, the weber and the mühle?

on the topic of the new, with so many who praise it - it's probably an absolutely brilliant razor. I am simply to lazy to go hunting for it ;-)

cheers

well the mühle open comb R41 is one of if not the most aggressive razors on the market according to most people :thumbup: and I havent checked lately but there was a gentleman selling a brand new unused one on the B/S/T for 51 dollars shipped :thumbup1:

hi

thanks for the replies and additional recommendations!
Since i prefer to have my whet bag intact at all times i will need a new razor anyways, either a new one or a handle and a new travel razor to replace the old one in my whet bag.

I was originally considering the merkur progress but am open for new ideas and with so many shavers being happy with their slants, that might be a good alternative. It looks really scary though!

On a scale from 1 to 10 in aggressiveness, where would you place the slant, the 34c, the weber and the mühle?

on the topic of the new, with so many who praise it - it's probably an absolutely brilliant razor. I am simply to lazy to go hunting for it ;-)

cheers
The Slants are not scary, just use it like any other razor and pay attention to technique. The comparisons are to Muele are similar, but i have never used a Weber to compare it though.

it all depends on what you are looking for because as with any product your miles may vary because of beard type, skin sensitivity, etc. I wish you luck on your search, keep us updated on your choice or choices as the case may be

And in regards to the New just go to the B/S/T and post a wtb add and you should have no trouble picking up one in good shape for a good price.

+1 Gillette Slim. Got mine 2 days ago and already had 2 best shaves of my life with 2 WTG passes. You can dial it in to your specific needs.

Top Bottom