What's new

First post and ramblings

I would like to thank everybody, again, for the warm welcome. It means a lot that you took the time out of your day.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

You're off to a pretty good start, but you may need more shelves soon. :)

I tried the Captains Choice bay rum cream tonight. Delicious. I love that the scent hangs out a while afterwards.

I've used all but one of the Captains Choice creams. I like strong scents that linger and few are as good at that as the CC Bay Rum. The Sandalwood I find particularly nice. Its not quite as strong but its a fantastic scent. North is also very nice. Strong and bold and lingers pretty well. My favorite is the 45th parallel. It doesnt linger and its not strong, but it smells good enough to eat. Lime is the same. Light and airy but delicious.

The soaps and creams I've used that linger the longest are Captain's Choice and Cyril R Salter creams and my Wholly Kaw soap lingers a while too.

I've tried 14 or 15 different Stirling soaps, and while the performance is pretty good and the scents are okay, few have lingered long at all. Executive Man lingers a bit as does Island Man and Gatlinburg. When it comes to scents for me, it all ends at Cyril R Salter. I've only used their Wild Rose but its spectacular with performance to match.

Welcome to the forum!

You're off to a pretty good start, but you may need more shelves soon. :)

I've used all but one of the Captains Choice creams. I like strong scents that linger and few are as good at that as the CC Bay Rum. The Sandalwood I find particularly nice. Its not quite as strong but its a fantastic scent. North is also very nice. Strong and bold and lingers pretty well. My favorite is the 45th parallel. It doesnt linger and its not strong, but it smells good enough to eat. Lime is the same. Light and airy but delicious.

The soaps and creams I've used that linger the longest are Captain's Choice and Cyril R Salter creams and my Wholly Kaw soap lingers a while too.

I've tried 14 or 15 different Stirling soaps, and while the performance is pretty good and the scents are okay, few have lingered long at all. Executive Man lingers a bit as does Island Man and Gatlinburg. When it comes to scents for me, it all ends at Cyril R Salter. I've only used their Wild Rose but its spectacular with performance to match.

Nice! I’ve never heard of Salters before. I have the Eucris cream in the tube in my cart. Adding wild rose. I’ll have to add the North cream to my next buy from CC once I run out of Bay Rum.

Welcome @BwR11 !

I’m from Kansas City as well. I’ve walked by Diebels on the plaza a dozen times but haven’t stopped in. Need to make a trip in there...

Welcome @BwR11 !

I’m from Kansas City as well. I’ve walked by Diebels on the plaza a dozen times but haven’t stopped in. Need to make a trip in there...

I actually went to the one one on 119th. I wasn’t going to drive on the Plaza on a weekend before Christmas. I’m not that brave.

It’s a smaller store and the guys running it are really nice and friendly.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Nice! I’ve never heard of Salters before. I have the Eucris cream in the tube in my cart. Adding wild rose. I’ll have to add the North cream to my next buy from CC once I run out of Bay Rum.

This is the CRS Wild Rose.
IMG_2975.jpg IMG_2976.jpg IMG_2977.jpg IMG_2978.jpg

My first shave with it below.

CRS Wild Rose.

To keep a baseline I'm familiar with I used my Brit clone and a fresh Feather to see if any harshness would surface. None did...

A full three pass shave and two shrinking clean ups. No issues at any point in the shave.

This cream... This cream, is very good. Its sure not afraid of water either. Like Rave said it doesnt take much so I used easily half as much as I do my CC creams. This is an older picture of how much CC cream I use, but you get the point.

img_2191-jpg.933306

That much cream generated this much lather.

img_2173-jpg.933307

Half that much CRS cream gave me twice the lather I get from my CC creams.

The performance is impressive. Its every bit as good as my WK and better. The lather from the CRS cream is smoother, creamier and more consistent and it gets to that state quicker.

The protection from WK is very good and its the most protective soap I'd used, until this morning. CRS has the same amount, and quality, of cushion as my WK with far less product used. This cream really reminded me of my WK soap, but its a smoother lather. I dont really know how to explain it. Creamier and richer but lighter with the same protection and the same protective feel.

Slickness is right there with PdP, even with a thick lather. Its -9C this morning and the furnace is blowing hot. Between passes I usually wipe my face after shaking the water off my hand. I didnt shake my hand this shave so I was using a lot more water. The lather didnt diminish, even for my second clean up. What it did do, much the same as PdP, was build. The more water I gave it, the more lather it made. I rinsed more lather out of my brush when I had finished shaving than it held after my first face lather.

In a battle of thin and slick with PdP, CRS wins. In a battle of protection with WK DM, CRS wins. Simply because it reaches the same level with less product, not to mention it was ~$14CAD shipped and my WK was $39.99CAD shipped. That, is a considerable difference. Add in performance to match with less product used, its a no brainer.

The scent. This wonderful scent. They really nailed it.

This is the scent in the tub.

red_rosebud_with_raindrops_-216494517-jpg.933308

This is the scent as I was lathering.

dark-red-rose-wallpaper_thumb-jpg.933309

The more its lathered the more it opens up, but its more than that. Lathering for my third pass it hit me. Its more than just a simple rose. Its a rose garden.

451743282_1280x720-jpg.933311

I had to concentrate a bit and think about it, but I could detect that rich deep moisture, the green of the leaves and even the fresh clean dirt. Its incredible. The only downside is, and this may only be a downside for me, it doesnt linger much at all.

I'm honestly not trying to sell any CRS creams. My description of the scent is exactly what I smelled, all of it. It blew me away.

It also kicked what remains of my Proraso soaps off my shelf because I'm running out of room. If Wickhams can hold a candle to CRS, my Stirling's and CC creams are following my Proraso. I wont be buying Wholly Kaw again.

My next order will be the CRS Sandalwood, and another tub of Wild Rose.

Wickham 1912 does more than hold a candle to it. I've used both CRS and Wickhams twice with each of my two favorite razors and blades. A Fatip Grande/Polsilver and a GEM MMOC/PTFE. I'll be comparing Wholly Kaw to them both my next two shaves, but I believe both better it, and thats a statement. Wholly Kaw is a very good soap.

This is my review of Captains Choice North: Captain's Choice North - A Review

Hey, another KC brethren! i'm in KCMO. Well not at the moment but I live there. Nice to have you aboard. Also, you collection looks almost just like mine. In fact, for a second there, I thought someone came in my place and jacked my stuff..lol

View attachment 935806
I heard that you like pictures. Here is my small and modest collection. Now that that’s out of the way...

Is lurker still a term used? Ah, well. Time to introduce myself.

I’m a shaver from a town south of Kansas City. I was just in Diebels yesterday and besides Col Conk and Edwin Jagger there was a set by Kansas City Shave company. But it’s sold in a set with a razor, brush, and stand.

Now that my acquisition syndrome has calmed down I can breathe again.

I have two razors that should last me forever since I baby them. Over 500 blades because I’m went a bit crazy. But I’m set for a few years, at least. I don’t really feel the need to add more.

I also have a few shaving soaps. Ive been trying new things to get the lather I want.

These past couple of months of learning has been a blast and B&B has been a great friendly community with a lot of information to read through. Thank god for the search bar.

I have two Symogue boar brushes I’m trying to break in at the moment.

Thanks guys!
Hey state of MO mate (or is it KC, KS in your case?). St. Louis, MO here. I appreciate your post and picture. I literally just bought my first de razor (edwin jagger de89) this past week and am trying not to add too much onto my Christmas spending spree. I went all in on the Proraso plus a Marvy rubber mug (see image) for my first buy to keep it simple and costs down. So far, after a few shaves, feeling good about my program, but very much looking forward to expanding my inventory. I purchased a Miusco badger brush and stand from Amazon for $20 and couldn't be more pleased as a starter.

I have a Wholly Kaw soap sample pack, TOBS sandalwood, Ariana & Evans Goat's Milk and Lanolin Shaving Soap-Asian Plum, a Yaqi synthetic 22mm brush and Proraso shaving cream in a tube for travel, all on order. It will be nice to start building my kit/den.

Enjoyed your post. It gives me inspiration to keep adding and experimenting.
IMG_1845.JPG

Hey state of MO mate (or is it KC, KS in your case?). St. Louis, MO here. I appreciate your post and picture. I literally just bought my first de razor (edwin jagger de89) this past week and am trying not to add too much onto my Christmas spending spree. I went all in on the Proraso plus a Marvy rubber mug (see image) for my first buy to keep it simple and costs down. So far, after a few shaves, feeling good about my program, but very much looking forward to expanding my inventory. I purchased a Miusco badger brush and stand from Amazon for $20 and couldn't be more pleased as a starter.

I have a Wholly Kaw soap sample pack, TOBS sandalwood, Ariana & Evans Goat's Milk and Lanolin Shaving Soap-Asian Plum, a Yaqi synthetic 22mm brush and Proraso shaving cream in a tube for travel, all on order. It will be nice to start building my kit/den.

Enjoyed your post. It gives me inspiration to keep adding and experimenting.
View attachment 936328

Hey! That’s awesome. I’m looking forward to trying Proraso red. I got a tube of it on its way.

Yeah. I’m on the Kansas side, more near Gardner. But I figured most people wouldn’t know about that small town. I was wrong and it’s really cool that I’m wrong!

I’m having way too much fun with it but I’m learning to control the urges. So far.

Hey! That’s awesome. I’m looking forward to trying Proraso red. I got a tube of it on its way.

Yeah. I’m on the Kansas side, more near Gardner. But I figured most people wouldn’t know about that small town. I was wrong and it’s really cool that I’m wrong!

I’m having way too much fun with it but I’m learning to control the urges. So far.

Oops sorry, I hit send a bit early!
Greetings from Raytown.
I was unaware of the KC shave company until you mentioned it, so, thanks I will look it up.
I'll maybe do a favor for you as well - look up 0Z Shaving, out in OPKS. Local products, handmade, great soap and Ian is a nice fellow to deal with...
I find it an amusing comment on the pervasiveness of the internet that I know about 50 places to get shaving accoutrements on the internet, but until you mentioned Diebels, I had no idea how to get such right here in KC. Even Oz was something I found online after having seen it at KC wetshavers meet up.

Oops sorry, I hit send a bit early!
Greetings from Raytown.
I was unaware of the KC shave company until you mentioned it, so, thanks I will look it up.
I'll maybe do a favor for you as well - look up 0Z Shaving, out in OPKS. Local products, handmade, great soap and Ian is a nice fellow to deal with...
I find it an amusing comment on the pervasiveness of the internet that I know about 50 places to get shaving accoutrements on the internet, but until you mentioned Diebels, I had no idea how to get such right here in KC. Even Oz was something I found online after having seen it at KC wetshavers meet up.
This has nothing to do with shaving, grooming etc, but I like your ice cream kid avatar kcmodan!

Well actually... when I first started wet shaving some years ago, that could have been me. Clumsy & messy (bloody).
Now that in 2019 I am moving into the land of straight razor shaving, it may be me again

Cheers

UPDATE: rambling

I got my tube of Proraso red today. It wasn’t great. But the after shave feeling is great. Under the counter it goes. I will revisit the under-the-counter products when I’ve fined-tuned my regimen (ritual?).

I have just a bit more money to spend before I lock everything down.

I still have Cella and Col. Conk to try. I’ve ordered a tube of Cade and a puck of fine fresh vetiver. Next on my list is Razorock XXX.

Before I grew a beard I got into wet shaving a bit. Dabbled my toes, as it were. I had a VDH soap and bowl kit and a tube of Cade. I loved the way Cade smelled and how classy it made me feel using it. So another tube has always been on my list.

This time around I went dove into the deep end. But I still had plan. I read reviews. So many reviews. And YouTube. Hours and hours. And I made a list of things to try.

I knew that eventually I would pair the list down to 7. So I started with Stirling and Captains Choice. Tabac and Cella were so loved and hated I had to try them. One whiff of Tabac and it went into the bin. Not putting that anywhere near my nose, again. I just couldn’t.

But Cella smells like a cloud of cherry and vanilla. So it stayed. I don’t know why people say almonds. I’ve never been a fan of them but I don’t remember them having a smell. So what ever.

I also heard that the Col. was just as good as Tabac without the foul smell. So I wanted to give that a try and see how it performs.

So, that’s four soaps in my line up if I end up including Executive Man. I figure if I like the Col. Bay rum I could try lime and may be amber. If I like Fine, I could add the American blend. And I will probably end up getting snakebite this summer for fun.

End of ramble

I also heard that the Col. was just as good as Tabac without the foul smell. So I wanted to give that a try and see how it performs.

So, that’s four soaps in my line up if I end up including Executive Man. I figure if I like the Col. Bay rum I could try lime and may be amber. If I like Fine, I could add the American blend. And I will probably end up getting snakebite this summer for fun.

End of ramble
Sounds like a solid plan to me!

Top Bottom