What's new

First pass always a bit scratchy, am I crazy?

It seems like every blade I use, there's always a bit of noise and scratchiness during the first pass and it kind of bugs me. There's no tugging, it's mostly just noise and it happens with every blade. Am I being irrational or is this normal?

Sounds normal. First pass the hair is longest. Noisiest with really light razors, quieter with heavier razors. Personally I like the feedback from a light razor.

Right now I'm using a merkur 38c hd with either a gillette nacet, rapira, or even an astra blade. Cream alternates between cella, palmolive uk, and proraso green. Pretty sure I have this habit of going across the grain on the first pass? and I have thick hair. I don't know, I've been wet shaving for years and for the last month or two it's been in the back of my mind. It led to me selling off a lot of my stock because I didn't think it was performing right. Always get bbs results from every shave, but I'm still questioning something. I can't use kai or feather, they do the job but my skin is too sensitive and it chops up my neck.

38c is fairly heavy. Could just be the coarse nature of your beard. Cross or against the grain are louder for me. A heavyweight like the Timeless may help. Or shaving ear plugs!

Personally, I think it's two things and they're both trivial:

1. I'm so used to it and the results are nearly perfect every time that I'm just getting bored and need something to gripe about. Nothing needs to improve and there's nothing left to spend money on, but I need to focus on something.

2. Technique has changed due to #1 and looking back, I know that I use unknown brands more carefully than I use something that I've had for years. It's usually based off the results of the first/second blade that I'll pick up 100.

Personally, I think it's two things and they're both trivial:

1. I'm so used to it and the results are nearly perfect every time that I'm just getting bored and need something to gripe about. Nothing needs to improve and there's nothing left to spend money on, but I need to focus on something.

2. Technique has changed due to #1 and looking back, I know that I use unknown brands more carefully than I use something that I've had for years. It's usually based off the results of the first/second blade that I'll pick up 100.

Maybe consider another razor to get past the boredom. Not needed, but might reinvigorate your interest. Or maybe try a straight. That will focus your attention while shaving!

You know, I do have a couple of shavettes that I've never put to the test. That is a terrific idea, I'm going to do that next time and really see what happens. Great advice, thanks a lot.

In my experience, most blades are a little rougher on the first pass than on subsequent passes. I think that is due to microscopic burrs left on the edge as a result of the sharpening process. That's why some gents cork their blades before the first pass.

I would assume that a coarse beard would always cause that kind of scraping noise. Actually I thought the light scraping is pretty normal. I shave my legs, which have much finer hair, and I hear scraping when I shave. In fact, that scraping changes in pitch depending on the angle.

I actually enjoy the scraping sound, it makes me feel that all is well.
It is good feedback because the it gives a guide to correct blade angle.
Actually I thought the light scraping is pretty normal. I shave my legs, which have much finer hair, and I hear scraping when I shave. In fact, that scraping changes in pitch depending on the angle.
It is normal and you have found it gets louder when the scraping action increases. I seek the lowest sound as it indicates good blade angle which also improves blade longevity.

Just might be that your angle is rather steep. Try a slightly shallower angle. I do this with all of my razors with the exception of the R41, which seems to work better with a steep angle. A phrase I've heard on here many times is "ride the top cap". Blades last a bit longer too.

Thanks for all the reassurance, it's been very helpful. I'm going to try learning a shavette next but also take smith's advice and learn to appreciate it. I'll also approach the first pass with a shallower angle, normally I'm just digging tunnels because as I said, I have my technique down to the point that I could do it in my sleep and still manage something irritation-free that won't need to be done again for a few days.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
It seems like every blade I use, there's always a bit of noise and scratchiness during the first pass and it kind of bugs me. There's no tugging, it's mostly just noise and it happens with every blade. Am I being irrational or is this normal?

Just wondering ,Have you mapped out your beard growth ? I know if I go against the grain first I get allot of sound
from the whiskers screaming when being cut down

Just wondering ,Have you mapped out your beard growth ? I know if I go against the grain first I get allot of sound
from the whiskers screaming when being cut down

No, it grows in so many directions but I know it only happens when going xtg/atg.

Thanks for all the reassurance, it's been very helpful. I'm going to try learning a shavette next but also take smith's advice and learn to appreciate it. I'll also approach the first pass with a shallower angle, normally I'm just digging tunnels because as I said, I have my technique down to the point that I could do it in my sleep and still manage something irritation-free that won't need to be done again for a few days.
Any improvements?

Top Bottom