What's new

First pair of Allen Edmonds, a quick question

Hi all! You were super helpful in my thread about a suit for a black tie optional wedding, thank you! I was going to ask another question there but thought it should be a new thread.

Anyway, along with the suit I just got a pair of black Allen Edmonds. They're my first pair of really nice shoes made from full grain leather so I'm new to shoe care. I have been using shoe trees though! I've seen in a few random posts that AE shoes come with some kind of "factory finish" on them; is there truth to this? And is it necessary to remove it before polishing for the first time? I ask because I've worn them a few times and there are some fine lines that develop across the shoe throughout the day. I get home and shoe trees + a good brushing can get them out so I assume it's a surface finish thing and not the inevitable creasing getting its start. Any ideas? I'm probably overthinking, I just figured if there is a factory finish it might not be best to pile on more wax on top of it. Thanks!

Where are the lines?

I do not buy AE shoes and have not heard of manufacturers adding a factory finish to their shoes but I have heard of cobblers spraying some silicone spray on shoes so they have more luster. I always wipe down my new shoes and apply a small amount of leather conditioner and then cream polish, not wax. No telling how long they have been in the box and under what conditions. I prefer a satin finish but do use a little wax on the toe.

Here's good collection of shoe guides to follow: Shoe Care Guide - How to Shine Shoes - How to Clean Shoes - Kirby Allison's Hanger Project

I wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried, you can always use some saddle soap or lenox cleaner and then start with polishing from the ground up.

Enjoy the shoes!

I don't think any "factory finish" should alter your intended habit to take good care of your shoes in the traditional way. Fine choice of brand, btw. I think you'll find that the extra money you paid on the front end will save you money years from now. In the meantime, you'll have the knowledge that you have a really great pair of shoes.

Thanks, I am enjoying them so far. And I got them on sale so they feel even better! Good to know it won't hurt anything, I'll just polish them when they need it and condition every so often.

I have not heard of AE applying some sort of factory finish, and I own quite a few paris. I suppose I could be wrong.

That's the first I've heard of this. Just break them in and polish as needed. The trees will help minimize the creases but there will always be some.

Creases will appear no matter what. I recently bought a pair in Manhattan and had them stretched for better fit. On the right, the crease developed by the end of the first day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Congrats on going with ae. No factory finish I'm aware of that prevents periodic polishing.

Just like the lines on your face, anything that moves or bends will develop a crease over time.:001_smile Your shoe trees should help minimize the effect and keep them nice looking regardless of the creasing. I hope you will enjoy them for a long time.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It bugs me when breaking in a new pair of shoes and only one of them creases :) I'm quite certain that I'm the only one that notices it...

Nokona glove conditioner from a sporting goods store. It's recommended for horween leather baseball gloves and is all I've ever used unless I'm getting them shined professionally.

I have not heard of AE applying some sort of factory finish, and I own quite a few paris. I suppose I could be wrong.
It was just a comment I occasionally came across in a few different threads while browsing the various forums out there. It was so infrequently mentioned that it seemed unlikely, but I wanted to clarify anyway.
I've only worn them a handful of times over the last few weeks but it's such a different experience to the Clarks I'm used to wearing. There's so much support and structure in a nice shoe, I've been enjoying them a lot. Now my problem is I want more pairs. Lol.
Thanks everyone!

Enjoy the break in which depending on the lasts can be downright brutal. I own many pairs and comfortable is the last thing I'd call AE. Stylish as all get out but hardly like a pair of nikes.

I have a pair of Park Ave and am getting some creasing on the cap toe, I'm thinking I may have gotten a size to long. Thoughts?

I have a pair of Park Ave and am getting some creasing on the cap toe, I'm thinking I may have gotten a size to long. Thoughts?
I am speculating but when I see things like that I wonder if it is not a combination of a things. Including the natural grain of the leather, related to how the animal lived and grew up and places of flex along the hide. And the environment in which you wear the shoes, such as often walking up stairs or sitting in a cramped public transport seat with your feet/shoes jammed into a tight space causing more flex in the toe region. If you have a long foot, the length of the Park Avenue with its somewhat elongated toe box + the heal requires that you plant the shoe deep into a stair step tread which can sometimes result in the shoe tip banging against the riser causing it to bend a little at a point were your foot does not.

I have been wearing AE shoes for around 40 years now. They do have a "factory finish"! Some leathers are dyed others can have a sprayed on color, I don't know if AE uses the sprayed on finish, but I have had other brands that have had it and it can be quite durable. If you nick such a finish it will usually look almost white underneath or at least a very light color.

As far as the creases and wrinkles, totally normal. Leather does that anytime it flexes.

Do not try to remove any finish unless you want to completely refinish them. Use a good polish and horsehair brush. I gravitated away from the old petroleum solvent Kiwi polish to Saphir, which has a more natural turpentine solvent, better smelling and seems to give a better longer lasting shine.

Top Bottom