What's new

First open comb head ----- RazoRock Old Type vs. Maggard's v.2 ?

Hello Gentlemen .....
I am suffering through an acute episode of RAD, and just received the beautiful RazoRock SS Lupo .72.
I have a thread going about this razor, and it's been a ton of fun reading all the replies.

BUT NOW ..... I want to replace the head on my Maggard's MR-5 (a terrific stainless steel handle) with
an open comb. The "regular" v.3 head is nice, but kind of boring .... I want to try my first open comb
and am thinking of either the Maggard's v.2 OC or the RazoRock "Old Type" OC heads. I want to keep
the $$$ investment low, just to see if I like open comb shaving. The price of the RR Old Type is half that
of the Maggard's ($7.99 vs. $ 15.99), and seems like a terrific deal.
So, ..... what do you gents think ? Who has experience with either head (or both ?)

Was always curious about the RR Old Type. I have a real Old Type and I’ve read the RR is milder, but to just try an OC, for that price it seems worth it. OC razors are great.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am of no help here since all I have are old razors of the open comb variety.

But....I LOVE the old Gillette NEW Long Comb that @Tanuki gave me. Shaved with it today!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a Razorock old type and it is a mild razor, if you want a nicer open comb go to the Razorock SLOC. The SLOC (yaqi mellon head) came out after I bought the Old type. My old type hardly gets the use it did years ago, still a nice razor and used it when travelling Mexico because it was hard to nick yourself with it. The RR SLOC is just a nice razor and looks like one of the VINTAGE GRAND SHAVE KING SELF LUBRICATING OPEN COMB DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR self lubricating with water. Either razor are nice and gentle IMO.
Razorock SLOC 2017 (2).jpg RR SLOC(Yaqi Mellon Head) RR SLOC comes with a stainless handle also.

I really like the Maggard OC v2--it's moderately aggressive, but not at all uncomfortable. An outstanding value. I own an actual Old Type, though I haven't used it in a while. I found it too aggressive, but my taste in razors is changing, so it may suit me better now. No idea how it compares to the RR "Old Type" though.

I really like the Maggard OC v2--it's moderately aggressive, but not at all uncomfortable. An outstanding value. I own an actual Old Type, though I haven't used it in a while. I found it too aggressive, but my taste in razors is changing, so it may suit me better now. No idea how it compares to the RR "Old Type" though.

If you found the original Gillette old type too aggressive, its most probably the "feet" developed at any of the edges of the cap due to dents or falls. Many threads abound about setting them right by gentle hammering and filing. Once done they are some of the smoothest and most efficient razors out there.

Last edited:
Is the RR a Zamak head? Not that I care; at my age I don't buy green bananas.

The RR OLD type and SLOC is a zinc head and sourced from Yaqi. It's a very smooth razor just like the Gillette old type. Zero issues of unequal blade exposure.

If you get a cheap original old type with the head cap intact without those edge feet, you get a brass head and probably one of the smoothest out there.

The Phoenix Artist Accouterments DOC another zinc head is what brought this famous double open comb back from the dead. Their stainless steel DOC ascension razor is one of most under rated razors in the wet shaving world !

Last edited:
I have the RR OLD razor from when Italian Barber first started carrying it back around 2012 -2013? I don't know if it is the same as their current version. It performs fairly well with most blades but I would have to agree that I prefer the RR SLOC too. The SLOC just seems to consistently perform really well for me and is noticeably smoother for me than the RR OLD is. I have not tried the Maggard OC.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a Razorock old type and it is a mild razor, if you want a nicer open comb go to the Razorock SLOC. The SLOC (yaqi mellon head) came out after I bought the Old type. My old type hardly gets the use it did years ago, still a nice razor and used it when travelling Mexico because it was hard to nick yourself with it. The RR SLOC is just a nice razor and looks like one of the VINTAGE GRAND SHAVE KING SELF LUBRICATING OPEN COMB DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR self lubricating with water. Either razor are nice and gentle IMO.
View attachment 1234535 RR SLOC(Yaqi Mellon Head) RR SLOC comes with a stainless handle also.
That's a beauty.

The RR Old Type is a mild open comb razor with zamak head. It resembles most closely the Merkur open comb head. The Merkur was patterned after the original Gilllette Old Type.

The SLOC is a bit more efficient, but still quite mild.

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. I just ordered the RazoRock
Old Type head from Italian Barber. I had a nice email conversation
with them, and it seems like a good choice for me to try an open
comb. For a $15.98 investment ($7.99 for the head and $7.99 for shipping) it's certainly worth a try. Again, thank you all.

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. I just ordered the RazoRock
Old Type head from Italian Barber. I had a nice email conversation
with them, and it seems like a good choice for me to try an open
comb. For a $15.98 investment ($7.99 for the head and $7.99 for shipping) it's certainly worth a try. Again, thank you all.
You made the right decision. The RR old type is very comfortable and easy to use. It is one of the most underrated razors. It is a steal at its price with a stainless steel handle.

Yeah, fantastic value. I need to try one of these myself. Having read this thread yesterday I decided to give my Maggard OC v2 a go this morning, with a Racer blade on it's 4th or 5th outing. It was a stupendously good shave. If I'd spent $50 dollars on it as a complete razor, I wouldn't feel I overspent. I know the Zamac Factor is important to some, but honestly, I prefer the look of chrome over most stainless steel, and since I've yet to have a zamac fail (knock on wood), I don't shy away from these models.

I have been extremely lucky lately, enjoying my Timeless Bronze SB, Timeless Aluminum, Rockwell 6C,
and (especially) my new RR Lupo .72 razors.
But, ..... one of my longtime favorite handles, the Maggard's MR-5, has been sitting lonely, as the heads on my other four razors have spoiled me, and I've grown "bored" with the v.3 head on my Maggard's handle. So, ..... since I've been yearning to try a mild open comb, I just bought the RazoRock "Old Type" open comb head, and attached it to my Maggard's MR-5 handle. Perfect fit, pleasingly lovely balance, and a really great look ! The shave ? ..... Magnificent ! A & E Asian Pear soap, face lathered with my Simpsons Special Best brush, and three incredibly smooth, silky, comfortable passes leading to an irritation-free, BBS result...
My initial reaction ? --- OMG ! A luxurious beautiful sublime shaving experience !
As I've said many times here on B & B, "Boy oh boy, ..... I love our hobby !"

Top Bottom