What's new

First Old Type

I just want to show off my first 100 year old razor: Gillette Old Type 1919. It was under $15 on the bay, and I was slightly skeptical as these handles are so commonly cracked. After a little soak n scrub, I am incredibly impressed by the gold plating and overall condition! Bent one tooth back into alignment with jewelry pliers. Otherwise no nicks, scratches, or wear. Will be test driving Monday after a well deserved 2-day growth.

9C4FA6EA-B598-4661-81CC-5E7DD3AB9C60.jpeg
C69E3938-4255-4F9B-8881-5A7B3733CD4F.jpeg
BF019094-3E53-432D-ABF5-F40B259256A1.jpeg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There are no feet on the cap corners. Thats nice to see.

My Single Ring.

Before.
before (2).jpg

After.
after (2).JPG

You can imagine how it shaved before.

Thats an often overlooked part of the Gillette Old Types. The caps need to mate to the base properly or they'll shave harshly.

I'm always glad to see straight ones.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
There are no feet on the cap corners. Thats nice to see.

My Single Ring.

Before.
View attachment 1080026

After.
View attachment 1080025

You can imagine how it shaved before.

Thats an often overlooked part of the Gillette Old Types. The caps need to mate to the base properly or they'll shave harshly.

I'm always glad to see straight ones.

+1000 to this advice. Took my Old Types from "harsh/just ok" to one of my all time favorite razors.

Highly recommended! :thumbup:

First shave went excellently!!! I felt rather courageous in using a feather blade, but last week I discovered this blade was the solution to my 7-month irritation battle. I must admit, it was odd finding the right angle to a razor with virtually no blade gap and significant blade exposure. All in good practice. Was not the most comfortable shave but THE CLOSEST SHAVE OF MY LIFE!
3-pass WTG, XTG, Caddie/ATG WITH damn near BBS! One nick in the usual problem neck spot, and nearly zero irritation.

I love this razor. Can’t wait to give it the attention it deserved a century ago.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
First shave went excellently!!! I felt rather courageous in using a feather blade, but last week I discovered this blade was the solution to my 7-month irritation battle. I must admit, it was odd finding the right angle to a razor with virtually no blade gap and significant blade exposure. All in good practice. Was not the most comfortable shave but THE CLOSEST SHAVE OF MY LIFE!
3-pass WTG, XTG, Caddie/ATG WITH damn near BBS! One nick in the usual problem neck spot, and nearly zero irritation.

I love this razor. Can’t wait to give it the attention it deserved a century ago.

The Gillette Old Type with a Feather blade is capable of a truly exceptional shave.

Old Types thats are perfectly straight should have no blade gap at all and negative blade exposure. See my made in Canada Old Type below.

Canadian.jpg

Because they have no blade gap and negative blade exposure, they can be very deceptive. It feels unnatural to shave effectively without feeling the blade and we might have a natural tendency to overcompensate for that by steepening the angle or applying more pressure. Thats a mistake. Despite how unassuming my Canadian may appear, its one of my most unforgiving razors of weak technique I own.

You’re right Esox. The blade is nearly flush with the comb. You taught me the correct meaning of blade exposure today.
8F79D6FE-3270-48FA-9D7C-3A9927F4D2A9.jpeg
628B9712-7732-48A2-B7B1-EBB20C8188BB.jpeg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You’re right Esox. The blade is nearly flush with the comb. You taught me the correct meaning of blade exposure today.

A very similar design but with positive blade exposure, is the Fatip OC.

FatipGrande.JPG

Of virtually the same design, but with .023" blade gap, is the Gillette NEW SC. Increasing blade gap also increases blade exposure.

NEWSC.JPG

The Gillette NEW SC is, in essence, an Old Type with blade gap.

Top Bottom