What's new

First Official BI-Annual NYC & Inky Concurrence! Join us for the Fobianyci

Since the 4th Annual NYC Potlatch was Brrrrrrred out, let's double double the fun and go for a Two-Pass annual meet. We've actually been doing it twice a year anyway. And besides, the potlach has always been more of a poor in-joke than reality. So out with the old name and in with the new.

I'm dubbing it the Fobianyci Meet. (0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, ...) Anyone that feels the need to dub me! and pick a better name... I certainly deserve it. And so does the meet.

Its hard to pick a date. Normally, we try to avoid holidays, spring break, summer vacation, etc. But this year, schedules are all confuzzled due to Sandy :thumbdown so we need to do it the hard way...

April 20 has been named as a date. I honestly think that's too soon to arrange a crowd, but we'll start with that. To wit! (Which is always a dangerous thing to let me do.)

• I propose we name the weekend days when we can come or not, and fiddle until we get the best date with the biggest crowd.
  • I further propose we narrow it down to between April 20 and end of June.
  • She didn't accept!

To start...
I can't make it on April 20th due to a previous, long standing commitment to the NYC Head-Fi meet, but should be able to make it any other time.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
A Saturday in early May would be fine, as long as we have a date set some three or four weeks before, we should be fine.

Mother's Day is Sunday, May 12th. Does that make it a good thing or a bad thing to meet the day before on Saturday, May 11th? Two booked days in a weekend might be too much for working folks to get their chores done.

I may be available for an evening or afternoon meet up on April 20th. Other viable options for me: 4/27, 4/28, 5/11, 5/12, 5/19.

Hope we can get this happening, as the last one sort of fizzled out!

I may be available for an evening or afternoon meet up on April 20th. Other viable options for me: 4/27, 4/28, 5/11, 5/12, 5/19.

Hope we can get this happening, as the last one sort of fizzled out!

I'm not worried. The original potlach was a Friday night. We've sort of switched over to summer and October weekend lunch meets, and they've proven more popular than the evening meets. The fizzle sound you heard was just a post mortem gasp of the former winter night meets.

Hey, Jim!

Could you change the thread title to:

First Official BI-Annual NYC & Inky Concurrence! :lol:

Join us for the Fobianyci Concurrence.

Think we should let this ride for another week.

Let's keep it to May. Saturday has always been preferred over Sunday. My only concern is that the 11th might bring last minute cancellations related to Mother's Day.

Looking ahead, there will probably be another summer lunch, maybe in NJ. I'd also like to try for a small Friday night bar/dinner thing in Manhattan, maybe in July.

Last edited:
It's been too long since I've seen Rudy & Brian. I'll try & make the next one. Summer lunch? Maybe Rutt's Hut some Sunday afternoon...again?

Time to narrow down a date. May 11 or 18th?

Seems Charlie (Saxman11290) can make it on the 11th, but not the 18th. I'm fine with the 11th.

Any concurrers? (Should that be 2 Rs or 3?)

So I'm still good for the 11th, as you aptly stated, Steve, but I'm a bit confused as to the nature of the meet-up still, as I have never attended one of these with you guys. Does the title "Inky" imply that this is fountain pen related in some way? I was under the impression that the "potlatch" (as described in the original thread from the meet up from 2010) was about exchanging goods. Although I wouldn't have any objection to learning a thing or two from some of the fountain pen enthusiasts, unfortunately, I haven't dipped my toes into the waters of Lake Nib yet, so I would have nothing to trade if this is indeed a pen-centered get together.

In any event, if I wind up participating in the trading or not, I'd still love to get together and put some faces behind the names I see often on the forum.

P.S. I am planning to dip my toes into that Nib Lake, came darn close a few times, too, it's just I've been a bit busy lately and want to wait until I have a bit more time to look into what I might buy and all the necessary nick-knacks.

Generally, we go to a shaving friendly pharmacist. Many of our gentlemen like to stop at a pen shop in Midtown. Personally, I'm a hardcore papermate fan--you can get 20 for $1 in August--so I usually just linger outside for this. We also find a nice place to chat, eat, and have a drink or two.

The potlachs, such as they were, have always been at night. Not that we planned it that way--it just happened that way. There were only 2 or 3, depending how strict you count them. There was kind of a joke about potlach the first time, so I keep playing that up. During the 2010 potlach, I emptied my den of stuff I'd never use--about 25 creams and soaps, and a few people brought some stuff. We also purposely overpaid the dinner bill to make a small donation to B&B. Another time, we had two newbies, and did some trading and sampling, which was helped out because it just happened to coincide with the end or start of one of the traveling boxes, so we had some extra stuff to trade around. For the record, the box and the newbies were all shave-heavier on the way home, thanks to the generosity of our members. Somehow, we noticed we got a bigger crowd on Saturday afternoons, and the writers come out more during the day--I think they like to write at night--so that's our story. We do still show off our stuff--nice pens, old razor kits, rare fragrances, or whatever--and sometimes pass things around, but there's really not much potlach or trading to speak of. It's mostly about getting together, meeting, and talking.

If you want to understand the Inky reference, you'll just have to show up.

Last edited:
Love to go, but I'm teaching someone how to grind knives that day...( May 11th)

Maybe next time....I was looking forward to some Wee Heavy too.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom